Foods high in calcium as i do not eat any dairy?

Options
Keep in mind any foods must comply with my 500 calorie a day diet, im getting really sore bones (shins an knees) jogging so much an think its because i dont get enough calcium ?

Replies

• DonnaW_78
    DonnaW_78 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Please tell me you don't live on 500 cals a day!!!! Chia Seeds are really high in calcium.
  • siliconeskinny
    siliconeskinny Posts: 7 Member
    Options
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    If a calcium deficiency were to cause pain in your shins it would be far too late to correct with diet alone.

You likely have shin splints. Rest, stretching, and icing will help.

500 calories a day for more than a day or two is dangerously low. Please eat more.

Vegan sources of calcium:
    Tofu
    Green leafy vegetables
  • livesthere
    Options
    Hi I am also not eating dairy and could use some helpful suggestions. Awesome! And I agree that 500 calories is scary, especially if you're running!
  • siliconeskinny
    Options
    500 is just until i get to my goal its working so far, just need so much more calcium
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    If a calcium deficiency were to cause pain in your shins it would be far too late to correct with diet alone.

You likely have shin splints. Rest, stretching, and icing will help.

500 calories a day for more than a day or two is dangerously low. Please eat more.

Vegan sources of calcium:
    Tofu
    Green leafy vegetables

QFT
    And just to be clear, shin splints are a soft tissue problem, not in your bones.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    this thread is going to get locked.

you could loose 10 kg in 6 months without running yourself into the ground, because thats exactly what you are doing.

you would be losing in a healthy manner at 1300 (at a guess, maybe higher) - so you are going to potentially damage your body, aka your physical self, for NO REASON.

soon enough you will have way bigger problems that cant be fixed with calcium.
  • DonnaW_78
    DonnaW_78 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Trust me - you will lose more & it will be easier to maintain in the long-term if you eat correctly in the beginning! Generally a woman shouldn't be on less than 1200 cals a day unless instructed to do so by a doctor. Please eat up. PS Chia seeds have approx 110 cals per 25g.
  • siliconeskinny
    Options
    Ta ill throw in some chai seeds to my diet
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind any foods must comply with my 500 calorie a day diet, im getting really sore bones (shins an knees) jogging so much an think its because i dont get enough calcium ?

Maybe you are getting sore bones because a 500 calories-a-day diet is a " starvation diet " according to the WHO,but not from lack of calcium, because " sore bones " and " shin splints " are not the same. 500 calories a day are over time very s.l.o.w suicide ......unless I misunderstand, in which case i apologize ..... or if you are at least 100 % overweight ( weighing more than twice your normal weight ) and are in the very beginning of the weight loss process.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    take a multi vitamin and for god sakes eat more
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    500 is just until i get to my goal its working so far, just need so much more calcium

Are you aware how self destructive you are ? There is absolutely no way that once you get to your goal that you can maintain and stay healthy. But I figure you made up your mind and just a bit of calcium will do the trick. With a 500 calorie diet you need a lot more than just calcium.....
    Good Luck !
  • ladyzerlina
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk. 30% calcium in a cup, 30 calories.
  • siliconeskinny
    Options
    Almond milk is a great idea thanks
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Why are you only eating 500 calories when you can eat 3-4x that and see better results. 500 calories is a recipe for significant muscle loss which will prevent you from getting that lean and tight body. And if you are on 500 calories for an extended period of time, your metabolic rate will slow down and make weight gain very easy. Heck, I am personally working with people coming off of HCG diets and many of them take 4-6 months to stabilize their metabolic rates for their bodies to even allow them to lose weight again, not even including all the muscle they will need to rebuild which will take another 6-12 months of bulk/cut cycles.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating so little and why aren't you eating dairy? Like, really? No cheese? No yogurt?
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    How long have you been eating so little?
This discussion has been closed.