Afraid of Halloween - Candy and Calories

Options
So I'm already thinking of Halloween and the PILES of candy my children will have on the living room floor. They trade with 5 other kids in the neighborhood. My son has nut allergies, so it's not always so fun for him. My husband takes the candy to work to get it out of the house, and leaves some for the kids to have for the next month.

My favorite are the little Baby Ruth candy bars.

So how are you going to handle Halloween? Have one so you can maintain your life with some sanity, maybe work out a little harder that day? I can tell myself it's only 60 calories.

Or are you going to cut it out completely and think if I'm going to go all the way with my weight loss, I need to pass it all up. Have some will power and stop torturing myself?

My issues are with sugar, so having one is so hard.

Replies

• XaraLouise
    XaraLouise Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'll be bobbing for apples!! If I start with the chocolate I don't stop.... so I tend not to start.
    Sounds like you're the same, so while the kids are messing about with their candy / sweets, tuck into an apple. Far healthier than all that refined sugar :)
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I am right with you. Sugar is my weakness! I just know that if I eat one I will eat 10. I can't stop myself. That's how I got here, lol!

I try to hand out candy I don't like, so I won't be tempted to eat out of the bowl. Any candy the kids get I try to keep out of my direct sight, so I am not constantly reminded of it. Other than that I try to keep in mind how much time on the elliptical each piece is.

Good luck to us both, you are not alone!

This might help: http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatthis/5-worst-halloween-candies-and-10-best-survival-tips
  • jgoldsmith
    Options
    ugh i hear ya. my son was with his dad for halloween last year, so i didnt see any candy here, this year he is with me and i am terrified.
  • cnash81
    cnash81 Posts: 30
    Options
    I think I'm going to have my husband go through the candy that my three kids bring home. If he removes all of the Almond Joy bars and hides them really well, I should be fine......in theory.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    I'm buying candy & chocolate the day before halloween along with a bag of the wee boxes of raisins.

Kids eat candy & I'll eat raisins instead.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    oh i know what you mean!! My parents keep mailing me halloween goodies up here at college. I just give it to other people in my dorm, that way its not in my tummy and i always seem to make plenty of friends that way lol

I say just out of sight out of mind.
    Try to get a sweetie treat you like that is healthy and munch on that, could be:
    ~natural popcorn
    ~cinnamon apples
    ~"diet" hot cocoa
    ~ or if all else fails maybe a little sugar free candies

hope that helps xD
  • shintowa
    Options
    I just see it as a treat, and portion some of my calories to some of it. If I eat more dinner than I meant to, oops, there goes the portion, and no candy for me! I get the mini sizes, things that are between 25-100 calories, and only eat a max of 200 calories a day of them (those are the "I have been very good and exercised way more than normal" days) normal is 100 calories or less.

Also, when the small bag is gone, I don't go get any more. (We don't get trick or treaters here, so my husband and I get our own small stash each year.)
  • lfondots
    lfondots Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm going to a party all weekend for halloween and you can bet there will be candy. In fact, I'm bringing some. I'm going to try the will power. Like all of you, once I start the choc, I have a hard time stopping. If it is out of site or there are better choices I'm hoping it will be easier.
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    This is why I am sorta happy I am in an apartment building ... for 3 or 4 years I bought candy and NO ONE came. Guess who at 3 bags of Halloween candy?! ME! So now I just don't get it if I did, there would be 1 lucky kid who got all the candy in the bowl.

I say if you MUST have candy and you DO want a 60 calorie treat put them in the freezer, they are harder to eat that way and you won't be so tempted. I love the smarties ... those are MY weakness!
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    Thankfully my kids are young, so I'm just not taking them Trick or Treating this year lol.
  • twnzmom
    twnzmom Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I am kind of lucky my kids are grown and i only buy the candy that i don't like so if its left over i am not tempted. When my kids were little I would walk by the pile and then i would talk out loud to myself and say you really don't want that you're just eating it because it's there. Also I work in a dental office, so without saying anymore, candy is a big NO in our office most of the time. Good luck you can walk away from it. I know you can.
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I posted this a while back....

I ran into an article that can certainly help that extra load of candy that fills the house during the end of October.
    A great program that is held by local dentists asks them to pick a day to buy back children's candy for 1$ per pound and send it to troops overseas. Get it out of your house and get paid for it! Also a good cause. To see what dentists participate in your area, here is the link

http://www.halloweencandybuyback.com/search-results.html

Also, if you hand out candy, try something healthier or don't buy until right before so it's not there to tempt you. I am a huge couponer and even when I could get hersheys super cheap I passed it up so I wouldn't have it in my cupboards.
  • maroon58
    maroon58 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    i am really worried too and i love baby ruth bars:) i only have them at halloween time so i may sneak one, and only one! to stop me from grabbing all those yummy fun size chocolates i went to the dollar store and got smarties and tootsie pops. the smarties are only 25 calories/roll and the sucker is 60 calories. while i walk around trick-or-treating with my family i will eat those. those smarties take me awhile to eat so that is good. then maybe i will allow myself 1 baby ruth and then no more candy from the halloween bag again. i was quite surprised to find out that a fun size bar has 80 calories if not more! that is crazy! i used to grab like 3 or 4 of those never thinking they had that many calories.