T2 diabetes & hypothyroidism - Need advise

Options
bynsky
bynsky Posts: 15,836 Member
OK, this is not about me (seriously) but I need a little support and advise when it comes to my hubby. He's very scared right now, even though you wouldn't know to look at him.

My hubby is about 5'10" and currently weighs about 220 - not awful, but not good. He had hyperthyroidism as a teen and had his thyroid removed when he was 15, so he's had hypothyroidism ever since. He found out about 5 years ago that he had developed type 2 diabetes (which was a matter of time due to no thyroid according to his docs) and has had it fairly well under control until the last 2 months or so. His blood sugar has been in the 300-500 range no matter what he eats. Yes, he could eat better, but it's not awful. The doctor tried prescribing the new drug (genuvia) that's on the market, but we couldn't afford the $120+ a month for the prescription! When my hubby called back and explained that to the nurse, she didn't even offer other options or say she'd discuss with the doc. Hubby has another appointment tomorrow, so hoping to get some better guidance or he'll be changing docs.

In the meantime, he's getting headaches, his eyes go fuzzy sometimes, and both leg cramps & having to go to the bathroom make him wake up 2-6 times a night. My hubby works a very labor intensive job, so he's too tired to "exercise" on top of working. He feels like he's losing weight & muscle tone (since diabetes is out of control) and is just, well, scared! I'm trying to be supportive, but I'm not sure what else I can do.

Does anyone out there have any advise for me as to what to run by my hubby and/or his doc for ways to try to correct this? I know that my hubby is a walking train wreck (he's short 1 ft of colon too from another surgery, plus has HBP that's medically regulated) and there may not be anyone else out there that has the same issues as he does. I'm just hoping for a little insight.

Thanks for listening!

Replies

• Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    My husband has T2 diabetes as well. The frequent urination and the eye problems are probably due to the elevated blood sugar levels. Is he on Metformin or Insulin? Jerry (my hubby) used to have to take 2 kinds of insulin, Byetta, Metformin and Glucophage, but now he is only on Metformin after losing 150 lbs with a Gastric Bypass surgery. When he was at his heaviest, it didnt matter what he ate, his blood sugar was always high, which was the reason for all the medication. He needs to listen to his doctor, as much as possible. If not treated, the eye problems can get worse or become permanent. My husband is only 46 and has had two cataract surgeries already, plus countless laser procedures to correct bleeding in the retina. If your doctor insists that he can't help you without this expensive medication, see another doctor. But get help NOW!
  • carmenrichard
    Options
    The more water he drinks will also help lower his blood sugar...Good luck, Carmen (nurse)
  • Margarette
    Margarette Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I know quite a bit about diabetes. I work for Joslin in Boston (one of the best diabetes clinics/hospitals in the world). He does need to be seen. Do you have any idea what his A1Cs were/are? How well controlled has he been. Usually it takes a while for permanent eye problems to occur (in the beginning it can be reversed). Most people may not realize that because they had diabetes for a long time before it was diagnosed so they assume eye damage occurs quickly but this is not the case. So do not panic yet. But if you want send me a message and we can talk.

Also, FYI The numbers being in the 300-500 range could simply be due to stress..Reassure him all will be okay and in the meantime call that dr yourself. They should have some samples of different medications at the clinic they can give you till he ties you over. Also I know some drs prescribe the maximum you will need to try to get the patients to keep some medicine at home. Try talking to the doctor about this too. Explain that you shouldn't have to be in this situation again. If this all fails find another dr!!! Call around tell them what is going on...there has to be something someone is willing to do!

Thanks! Hope things get better!
  • Margarette
    Margarette Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    PS my father also has hypothyroidism and Diabetes (his was diagnosed t2, but then rediagnosed as t1 when he saw another dr - he was in his 40s when he got it so they assumed t2 but he had late onset t1).
  • NYIceQueen
    NYIceQueen Posts: 1,423
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism...but my sister has T2 and she is on the same med as your husband. She also takes cinnamon supplements but you have to be careful with those...she brought her sugar too low one time and it was a big problem.

I'm posting on her because she had no job, and what she did was she contacted the manufacturer and they sent her coupons for the medications. I think it covered a good chunk of it. Try contacting the manufacturer for help. They have programs in place to assist with medication costs. Can't hurt.

In the meantime if you're not happy with his doctor, change. I had 2 1/2 yrs w/ a doctor that ignored me and my concerns and when I went for a second opinion, it turned out she'd missed a brain tumor, among other things. Follow your gut (and his). Keep his appointments but start looking for someone else.

Good luck!
  • crystalized
    Options
    I am new to this, and i actually found out last Tuesday that i have type 2 diabetes. It was not much of a shocker knowing my whole family is diabetics. but it also explained the not being able to loose weight part to no matter what i tried. I am on a very strict diet, eating healthy and exercising since i have been on my medicine i have already lost 7 pounds. I have insurance so my metformin was not that much. not sure how much it would be without the insurance. I recommend staying on a strict diet and not eating any thing white potatoes, rice,bread,etc. for they all make sugar and stay far away from candy and sweets. i have a full time job and when i get home i walk for 45 minutes 3 times a day then go to the gym the other part. It is really hard when you find out you have diabetes. then when you see the number on your monitor of your sugar reading and it is up it makes you disappointed and not want to eat. i am still struggling from this and still can not find out any answers why my doctors have not found this sooner. it took me blacking out for them to find out it was diabetes. but they have done several blood tests. its odd. but god has his hands upon all of us he will make sure we make it through. i noticed you said something about your husbands eyes etc. when your sugar is up it effects your eyes even so much of your mood and memory. good luck and god bless you