Cardio or strength?

Options
I've always thought, and believed, I needed to do cardio in order to lose weight. But, I've since been reading that strength work is probably more effective for what I need/want to do. I'm currently about 150lb with about 14lb to go until goal, and have lost 34lb so far. I'm happy with how I look apart from my stomach - I can fit into a UK size 10 jeans which is a huge achievement for me, but they could do to be a bit looser! I can also fit into UK size 12 tops but I only like to wear ones that are looser round the stomach because to me, my stomach is huge! Although in real life it's not that big - just a normal pot/pooch belly.

However, I still want rid of it! So I thought I would need to do cardio (mainly running) to help with shifting this. I know there is nothing I can do that will target just that area but I've been reading that strength is a lot more effective than cardio (if I've been understanding what I've read correctly) as it builds the muscle while also losing fat - I think?! I've also seen pictures of great results from strength training as opposed to cardio.

I'm really wanting to lose inches, not pounds now. So, do you think strength is the better/more effective option? I have no idea about strength training as have always done cardio and not sure if it will be practical for me as I can't really do squats due to knee problems.

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Both burn calories, one has a greater impact on cardiovascular health, the other has a greater impact on body composition and strength.

For your needs, your time would probably be best invested in 3:1 Strength:Cardio or something along those lines, IMO.

Regularly recommended programmes include Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5 and NROLF4W. Any programme that makes use of free weights with compounds movements in low-medium rep ranges will be ideal.
  • Montarosa456
    Options
    Personally I do both..
    Running for clearing my head, burning lot's of calories & keeping cardio fit.
    Strength for cutting bodyfat, toning muscles & slow pace days
    Hope that helps :)
  • Shateyn
    Shateyn Posts: 71
    Options
    My bet would be mainly strength training with some light cardio. What kind of knee problems do you have? If you take it slow and get a pro to help you, it may benefit from it. I thought I couldn't do strength training because of my tendonitis and ironically, strength training was the only thing that helped it improve. Stomach area has so much to do with genetics too. The only time I have a flat stomach and definition is when I am actually too underweight. You might be different though.
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Neither are required to lose weight. What is required is a caloric deficit. Determine your TDEE and eat less than that and you will lose weight. Cardio can help you achieve this but is not necessary.Strength training can also help you burn calories, while also helping to retain lean body mass. Most people prefer this to simply losing weight, which will include loss of muscle.
  • K2405
    K2405 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Both burn calories, one has a greater impact on cardiovascular health, the other has a greater impact on body composition and strength.

For your needs, your time would probably be best invested in 3:1 Strength:Cardio or something along those lines, IMO.

Regularly recommended programmes include Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5 and NROLF4W. Any programme that makes use of free weights with compounds movements in low-medium rep ranges will be ideal.

Thanks. Where can I find out about these programmes? I have no idea at all about strength training.
  • K2405
    Options
    Personally I do both..
    Running for clearing my head, burning lot's of calories & keeping cardio fit.
    Strength for cutting bodyfat, toning muscles & slow pace days
    Hope that helps :)

I'm planning to do some for warm up and down I think. I'm really looking to tone now but still have some fat to lose from my stomach.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Listen to this:

http://impruvism.com/fat-loss-podcast/

I can't recommend this podcast enough, I listen to it about once a month to keep me on track. Contains - Eric Helms interviewed on the Impruvism podcast in May 2013.

"In this podcast, bodybuilder, researcher, and fat loss expert Eric Helms teaches you how to create a diet and exercise program that will help you lose unwanted body fat without going insane. You’ll also learn how to create a sustainable lifestyle that allows you to stay lean without obsessing over food, losing strength and muscle, and constantly fighting food cravings."

He talks about resistance training vs cardio. See what you think.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I'm really wanting to lose inches, not pounds now. So, do you think strength is the better/more effective option?

Only way to find out is to try. Everybody responds a bit (and sometimes a lot) differently to various forms of exercise.

Personally, I don't see it as a question of either/or, as my definition of being "fit" requires both.
  • K2405
    Options
    Neither are required to lose weight. What is required is a caloric deficit. Determine your TDEE and eat less than that and you will lose weight. Cardio can help you achieve this but is not necessary.Strength training can also help you burn calories, while also helping to retain lean body mass. Most people prefer this to simply losing weight, which will include loss of muscle.

What is TDEE and how do I find out what it is? According to MFP app I've to eat 1370 calories per day, with a goal of losing 1lb per week.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

What is TDEE and how do I find out what it is? According to MFP app I've to eat 1370 calories per day, with a goal of losing 1lb per week.

change that to lose 0.5lb per week. you only need a small deficit if you are trying to lose body fat and are at a healthy weight to start with.
  • millionairesstv
    millionairesstv Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    HI
    hAVE YOU TRIED YOGA/PILATES GREAT EXERCISES FOR TRIMMING WAIST.
    look at youtube for ideas
  • K2405
    Options

change that to lose 0.5lb per week. you only need a small deficit if you are trying to lose body fat and are at a healthy weight to start with.

I still have about 14lb to lose to be within healthy BMI range. I'm currently 150lb.
  • steveoch
    steveoch Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Both strength training and cardio will help you lose weight as both are forms of exercise which burn calories.

So I think it really depends on your goals. In my opinion, if you are only focused on aesthetics, then go purely with strength training. But if you enjoy running, and want that type of endurance, then stick with cardio. If you want to be an all-round badass, a mixture of both, as ironanimal said, a 3:1 ratio of strength training to cardio would be good :)

BUT you need to remember that the key to any weight loss is the diet. It should be about 80% diet and 20% exercise. You can work as hard as you like, but if you over eat or under eat, the exercise might not necessarily help you lose weight.

Also, if you've never done any weight training before, you should seek the help of a professional to get you started to ensure you have the correct form when lifting. You should spend some time developing your stabiliser muscles before jumping into any really intense weight training, otherwise this could lead to some pretty bad injuries.

Hope this helps, feel free to add me and I can try my best to answer any specific question you have.