Now that you've lost weight...(Halloween)

TaraMaria
TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
edited September 22 in Chit-Chat
...Are you going to dress up for Halloween? I've literally NEVER dressed up for Halloween! I'm SO excited! We never celebrated it as kids and while I've always dressed my little guy up, I've never dressed up with him because, well, I was too self conscience. I'm 24 so I can't be TOO old to be doing this gig! No one can be! :o)

This year, Grady is going as Mario, the husband as Luigi and myself as Princess Peach! I'm so excited! I went to Goodwill, bought a pink dress and completely redid it to make my dress. The whole thing cost me around $15 dollars for the dress, the fabric, ribbon...everything! I was, am pumped!

Is anyone else dressing up this year? Like I said, I can't be alone! :o)

Replies

• beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    That seriously sounds adorable. The whole family dressing up with a theme!! And it's awesome you made your own costume.

I only dressed up when i was younger, and average weight, now I don't really like Halloween, so i dont dress up. And many of the costumes they sell are really skimpy, and I never had the body to pull that off. haha.

:]
  • Tasha1476
    Tasha1476 Posts: 220
    Yes! I am going in this super cute baseball player dress! I am excited too because I haven't done a real halloween costume since like middle school and this year is gonna rock!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    I've dressed up every year, I'm just SOOOOO excited this year to be able to choose a really hot costume that isn't from the Plus Size section!!! I'm a 1940's sailor pin up girl, I have a picture of myself in my costume in my blog if anyone cares to check it out (link in profile). It's the hottest thing everrrrrr and I can't wait to wear it out to parties at Stanford (in Cali where I'm visiting friends for that weekend).
  • TaraMaria
    OMG PIN UP GIRL!? I'm so jealous!!! That is so adorable! I'm going to check that out right after this! :o)

I agree that the majority of costumes are skimpy or just too small in general. Hence why I never even went near that section in prior years. Another reason why even though I've lost all of this weight that I made my own...plus it was loads of fun!!! :o)

I'm going to try to post a picture of my dress on here. I wasn't sure if I could pull it off having never made my own costume before. I still need white gloves and a crown.

peach2-1.jpg
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    wish I could but I havent lost quite enough weight to dress up :( HOWEVER I may actually be picture ready by x-mas which is a big deal for me b/c I LOVE x-mas pics and havent had them done since i had kids !
  • Luv2bme
    Luv2bme Posts: 58
    That sounds so adorable!! I Love to dress up for Halloween too! Last year was my first year in a long time... My friend and I were babies in footsie pajamas, it was cute! This year I would have liked my 5 kids to all be pirates, along with my fiance and I... but they all have their own ideas already! That's what happens when they grow up! LOL.. A lot of my co-workers are going to go as different characters from The nightmare before Christmas... They nominated me Sally, so I'm pretty excited about that!! I LOVE THAT MOVIE...and I LOVE Halloween, especially now that I can choose from a lot of costumes and before I was too depressed to even try on clothes.
  • Luv2bme
    You look great girl!!! That dress is so pretty!
  • TaraMaria
    Rachel, love the pirate idea! I've been dressing my son up for the past three years as whatever I please and loving it. My husband keeps coming up with these more manly ideas and I keep saying he will be old before I know it and coming up with these ideas on his own. Ha ha! I can only pick out cute things for so long! But he did kind of pick out Mario thing...because I know he loves it so much!

But I so understand about loving Halloween now. I've literally dreaded this time of year because of not wanting anyone to suggest that I dress up and because secretly, I really wanted too. :o(

This got me thinking...this is me last year...and my fiercely adorable dinosaur! :o)

11161_102426499775438_100000242665972_62731_3306746_n.jpg
  • Luv2bme
    Awwwww, that pic is to cute!! ... Yes, not only dreading Halloween, but any get together with friends or family. I just wanted to stay home and not worry about trying on clothes... It was a horrible feeling and I pray I never let it get that way again! It feels good to go shopping in the juniors section again, rather than the plus size section. ... Your son is so adorable! I can't wait to see how all of you look together. That will be so cute!!
  • Luv2bme
    Oh and you have GREAT talent!!!That dress looks fantastic! Is that before and after you worked on that dress in those pics?
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    You are an artist - fantastic job. Have FUN and be sure to share photos of the three of you :-)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    1. You NEVER dressed up for Halloween? Never!? You must mean, as an adult, right? Otherwise, your parents are criminals...(just kidding LOL)

2. That costume is AWESOME!!!! I love Mario Bros. and I have always wanted to be Princess Peach. SO cool that you did it yourself, it came out amazing!!! Very very good!!!

3. I will be going as Alice in Wonderland. I made the costume myself a couple of years ago and for the last few years I couldn't put it on. Although I generally do NOT recycle costumes (that's cheating!) I will this year just to revel in the fact that I fit into it again. Plus the last time I wore it was in San Francisco, and now I'm in LA, so it's OK. LOL
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Rachel, love the pirate idea! I've been dressing my son up for the past three years as whatever I please and loving it. My husband keeps coming up with these more manly ideas and I keep saying he will be old before I know it and coming up with these ideas on his own. Ha ha! I can only pick out cute things for so long! But he did kind of pick out Mario thing...because I know he loves it so much!

But I so understand about loving Halloween now. I've literally dreaded this time of year because of not wanting anyone to suggest that I dress up and because secretly, I really wanted too. :o(

This got me thinking...this is me last year...and my fiercely adorable dinosaur! :o)

11161_102426499775438_100000242665972_62731_3306746_n.jpg

Don't take this wrong, but that outfit you're wearing is what I call "don't look at me" clothes. I am SO happy for you that this year you are enjoying your new physique and the attention you deserve!!!
  • I absolutely adore your Princess Peach costume! Fantastic work! :)

I, too, have never been able to dress up in one of the sexy costumes. I'm 24 but even not being obese, they don't fit. I haven't tried any on this year, I'm still just a little shy about it. Instead I'm making a Belle (from Beauty & the Beast) peasant dress, the blue one. I've always wanted to portray her and now I feel like I'll be at the weight to do it properly.

We must all post photos after Halloween!

Edit: I'm also dressing as a banana to teach my Halloween-themed Turbo Kick class next Friday. :)
  • phoenixrising31
    phoenixrising31 Posts: 15 Member
    Wow, the princess peach costume is amazing! She's my favorite Mario character.

I was going to wear a regular "one size fits all" (I HATE that term, I haven't been able to fit in any of those things since high school) witch costume I borrowed from my friend, but I didn't quite meet my Halloween weight goal and the stomach still sticks out a little too much for me to feel comfortable in it. So, I'm cobbling together a gypsy costume from random clothes in my closet.

Next year I will hopefully be at my goal weight and my friend and I are going to be either Ginger and Mary Anne from Gilligan's Island or Wilma and Betty from the Fintstones!
  • TaraMaria
    1. You NEVER dressed up for Halloween? Never!? You must mean, as an adult, right? Otherwise, your parents are criminals...(just kidding LOL)

2. That costume is AWESOME!!!! I love Mario Bros. and I have always wanted to be Princess Peach. SO cool that you did it yourself, it came out amazing!!! Very very good!!!

3. I will be going as Alice in Wonderland. I made the costume myself a couple of years ago and for the last few years I couldn't put it on. Although I generally do NOT recycle costumes (that's cheating!) I will this year just to revel in the fact that I fit into it again. Plus the last time I wore it was in San Francisco, and now I'm in LA, so it's OK. LOL

LOL! You are hilarious!! I was homeschooled and literally lived in the middle of NO WHERE as a kid so even if I wanted to trick or treat there was no where to go...except my house? Ha ha! I give my folks a hard time about it now since they get so excited about dressing my son up. This is literally my FIRST TIME dressing up!

And since you are reveling in your new found fitness, I totally think that is acceptable!!!

Thanks so much for the compliments guys, you are all so sweet! The picture is of before and after...I walked into goodwill and it was just sitting there. I knew my theme before hand so I was looking for a pink dress. The second I saw it, I was like YES! YES YES! Ha ha! I keep praying for good Halloween weather so we can enjoy the day and our first family dress up!

Oh and Lucky? You are so right...when I saw that picture..I couldn't believe it...My husband's sweater and giant brown pants. Sigh. I'm ready for this! :o)
  • egbkid
    egbkid Posts: 164 Member
    I can't go this year :-( I have to work from 7 AM until 7 PM. I was going to go with my nephew, he is 4 and going as a Hockey Player, mommy is going as his biggest fan, which i was going to compete for!
    If we do something at work on Friday, i am going to recycle my costume from 2 years ago, Abby from NCIS. I have not lost enough weight to go as something 'sexy' and even if i was a size 5 i wold not, i am not into that stuff. I usually do not like to re use costumes, but i am at a different work place than i was 2 years ago, so no one has seen me in my Abby costume. :-)
  • mamxo22
    mamxo22 Posts: 84
    i am actually going to be in a haunted house!! its wizard of oz themed. which would be super cuet to do as a family, if you had enough people. for the haunted hosue im going to be glinda the good witch.... just a little paler than she usually is !!
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Dressing up as a sexy gypsy!

Although I've been re thinking about it because it seems like my husband is not dressing up =/ My mom;s new husband keeps wanting to pay for the costume so he can see my mom in it LOL

This is my before pic in the costume when I was 158lbs - Now I'm at 148 hoping ot be 145 by Halloween
    037.jpg

008.jpg

This is how it looks like on a model
    41LxutHNkL_SS500_-1.jpg
  • TaraMaria
    Cina -That costume is so cute! And your hair is beauuuutiful!!! Congrats on your weight loss!!!

Michelle - That is so cool! I've never been to a Haunted House...anyone catching a theme? LOL! I would love to see a pic of your costume!!

egbkid - AWW! The Biggest Fan thing is soooo ADORABLE! Is she going to have a sign?? Because that is so cute!!!

I figure I have to give this a try at least once! We've been sick with that nasty cold going around so I still haven't gotten out for a crown or gloves yet...I need to get out there!!!
This discussion has been closed.