Eating far too little.

Options
I didn't notice until I started to count my calories again, but I seem to be eating a pathetically low number of calories a day.

The tablets I'm on for migraines (a type of antidepressant, nortriptyline) has put me right off of a lot of foods, and makes me feel sick almost constantly. I feel queasy early in the day, and can't so much as look at breakfast lately.
So often, I'm not able to eat more than about 800 - 900 calories in a day, sometimes getting up to just over 1,000, but sometimes less.

I'm not sure what to do about this, but has anyone been through something like this, or does anyone have any sort of idea how I can deal with this until I'm able to talk to my doctor about switching tablets (possibly the start of December)?

Replies

• LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I didn't notice until I started to count my calories again, but I seem to be eating a pathetically low number of calories a day.

The tablets I'm on for migraines (a type of antidepressant, nortriptyline) has put me right off of a lot of foods, and makes me feel sick almost constantly. I feel queasy early in the day, and can't so much as look at breakfast lately.
    So often, I'm not able to eat more than about 800 - 900 calories in a day, sometimes getting up to just over 1,000, but sometimes less.

I'm not sure what to do about this, but has anyone been through something like this, or does anyone have any sort of idea how I can deal with this until I'm able to talk to my doctor about switching tablets (possibly the start of December)?

if the pill is not working why do you have to wait until december to speak with your doctor. Since you are having these issues i would think the doctor's office would want to know about it and would want to work with you to find something that does not make you feel this way.

my only suggestion other than call the doctor's office is if there are foods you are eating now that do not bother you - up your portion size so you get the necessary calories.
  • purplepopsicles
    Options
    800-900 calories is actually fine for a day of nutrition (of course this depends on your metabolism). If you're not hungry there's no reason to eat.
    Ask your doctor about the pills!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Replace some of the chips and sugar treats with real food, eat peanut butter, full fat dairy, oils, etc. You have a lot to lose and going very low calorie for a bit isn't going to hurt anything but you could make far better food choices. The meds don't seem to be affecting your ability to eat junk foods.
  • BatsinTrees
    Options
    if the pill is not working why do you have to wait until december to speak with your doctor. Since you are having these issues i would think the doctor's office would want to know about it and would want to work with you to find something that does not make you feel this way.

my only suggestion other than call the doctor's office is if there are foods you are eating now that do not bother you - up your portion size so you get the necessary calories.

The doctors in my town... they're not that good. I've asked them time and again to change what tablets I'm on, but they refuse to until I've talked to the lead doctor at the ENT department at the hospital the next city over, which I don't have an appointment with until December 3rd.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    800-900 calories is actually fine for a day of nutrition (of course this depends on your metabolism). If you're not hungry there's no reason to eat.

Not for MOST people..............the morbidly obese have the advantage of lots of reserves, also they can maintain muscle mass (initially) on very low calorie diets. For other people very low calorie diets are dangerous.
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    Your diary doesn't agree with your post you are eating 1100 plus a day average before today but your choices could be better.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Focus on calorie-dense foods if you can't eat large portions. Don't keep junk food around so you have to make healthier choices.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options

The doctors in my town... they're not that good. I've asked them time and again to change what tablets I'm on, but they refuse to until I've talked to the lead doctor at the ENT department at the hospital the next city over, which I don't have an appointment with until December 3rd.

sorry you're dealing with difficult people. have you tried calling the ent department directly in the next city and explaining your situation. it is your health you need to take charge of it.

as for your food diary thank you for opening it. i see you do eat lentils - lentils are great for you eat 2 portions of these. throw some baby carrots in the lentils plus a cut up sweet potato and some chick peas, maybe a few oz of shredded chicken too (instant meal) instead of white bread have wheat. have 3 eggs instead of 2 plus the whole wheat toast and ditch whatever that cream thing is just useless calories if you ask me. cut back on chips and cheesecake and such. have some oatmeal with a spoon of peanut butter in it. these are just a few suggestions.
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options

Hiya,

I'm also on Migraine tablets. I think it's really important you try to reschedule your appointment for sooner, or at least call this doctor to consult getting off the medication until then. Do you have triptans to battle the attacks? If you do, you'd probably feel better if you're off this tablet and only deal with attacks until then. I am on Depaking Chrono 300 twice a day and I was terrified of this drug because of horror stories of weight gain, hair loss, impaired memory and affect on liver. I had no adverse effects and I manage to lose weight while on it. I had my liver checked before and gave up alcohol.

As for the food 800-900 isn't good. It's unlikely to cause major damage in the upcoming 5 weeks, but it can slow your metabolism a bit so you could have trouble getting back to eating a healthy calorie intake without gaining.

I think right now the only thing you can make a change about is the medication, so take action. It is your body, and you need to fight for it!

Fingers crossed
  • MichMunchkin
    MichMunchkin Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My best friend is on a medication that has pretty much destroyed her appetite, too...and what her doctor suggested is that she use higher-calorie foods wherever she can. Like, she used to drink skim milk...she replaced it with whole milk. She used to eat Frozen yogurt; now she eats ice cream. She finds that making choices like that help her up her caloric intake without making her feel like she has to eat a mountain of food.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Ok so apart from today (which isn't yet over) you have not logged less than 1000 calories on any one day over the last week? So saying you struggle to eat 800-900 seems to conflict with what you are actually logging...
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I had chronic migraines for years and found that eating things with MSG, aspartame, and various food dyes, exacerbated the problem greatly. Since I've been off of those foods, I find that eating someting with them can cause an immediate migraine now. I also supplement with at least 400mg of magnesium per day. That has helped immensely. So, I think looking into food sensitivities and supplmenting with magnesium (and vitamin D and probably calcium) would help. I hope you find something that works for you!

I agree with the people that say to switch to more calorie dense foods. If you want yogurt or milk, buy full fat. Make your eggs with a tablespoon of coffee. Eat a peanut butter sandwich and add more peanut butter than usual. Sometimes when you are nauseous, you just need to eat what sounds good.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Wait, what?
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    According to your food diary, you seem to be consistently eating between 1100-1300 calories a day (except for one day that you were below 1000). Also, your food diary is completely EMPTY about a week back and further. Be consistent, and log EVERY day. you're probably eating more than you realize -- especially if your food diary is any indication.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Hassle your doctor - if you really can't get an appointment to see them earlier, then (I don't know if you can do this in Scotland) but pop into your local pharmacy, explain what pills you are on and they may be able to give you something to combat the nausea that can safely be taken alongside your current tablets.

In the meantime, eat more of the foods that don't make you feel sick.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    try some stuff thats more calorie dense, peanut butter, avocado, salmon, full fat dairy, nuts etc so you dont have to eat loads but are still getting plenty of cals.
  • EMSchell2009
    EMSchell2009 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I didn't get to see the diary, but I do have couple of comments. 1. There is absolutely no reason that you cannot stop taking a migraine medication now and let your doctor know after the fact. I you do not think that the doctor's in your town are that great to begin with try some natural remedies and go off the pill in question yourself. 2. If you are eating a lot of highly processed foods, they can actually cause those migraines. Try taking anything you cannot pronounce out of your diet. this definitely means reading labels and learning how to cook. 3. When you do get in to see your doctor, ask HIM about natural remedies. More often than not the pill is not the answer, it is just the answer that makes someone the most money.