Why am I not losing Weight?!!!!

Options

Replies

• janiehester
    Options
    I also am not losing very much, and I too work out. I think Im biulding muslel witch is fine with me. But what is happening for me is that Im losing inches. I dont know if you measured yourself in the begining, if not do it and then give yourslf 2 weeks and check it out. Working out takes the inches off like crazy..At least thats my story. Keep up the goos work.
  • janiehester
    Options
    I too am not losing very much, and I too workout. I think Im putting on musile from working out but thats ok with me. What is happening is that Im losing alot of inches. I dont know if you ever measured yourself in the begining but if you didnt do it and then wait 2-3 weeks and check it out. The inches are really comming off from working out, thats my story. Keep going it will get better:}
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I too am not losing very much, and I too workout. I think Im putting on muscle from working out but thats ok with me. What is happening is that Im losing alot of inches.

Congrats on your loss of inches and body recomposition!!

And I now quote from another comment to use as a comment:
    Why do so many people think that gaining muscle is so easy? A professional body building female can MAYBE put on 1/2 a pound of muscle in a month.....

And that female professional body builder is gonna be eating at a big calorie surplus and lifting heavy weights, I bet.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I'm having my own struggles, but just as a word of encouragement, you will see the results of your hard work. Just don't give up. Also, what has helped for me is drinking more water and lowering my carb intake per meal to no more than 35 per meal and no more than 15 carbs for a snack, total no more than 100 carbs per day. There is also a great nutrition website through an organization dedicated to health and wellness called Nutritional Weight and Wellness. They have articles, recipes, and podcast about all kinds of things to help with nutrition, wellness and weightloss. http://www.weightandwellness.com/

No fads, everything is based on extensive research by scientists, nutritionists and doctors.

You say to limit total carbs to 100 a day. I eat about 250-270 carbs a day from lentils, oatmeal, vegetables, and fruit. I have good nutrition and have been losing weight steadily with no problems. I exercise every day and limit my calories.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    1200 and exercising daily - EAT MORE

Read her diary before giving this advice. She is NOT exercising every day, and she is eating more than 1200.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Depending on my level of activity, I've been eating between 1300 to 1800 per day. I am working with an exercise physiologist and a nutritionist. I have been training hard, and have lost a little over 37 pounds, and while I have not lost a pound in a while, I am definitely losing inches.

I had a body composition analysis done the other day, and since August, I have lost six pounds of fat and replaced it with seven pounds of muscle. Even though I have not see progress on the scale, I consider this awesome progress.
  • prana647
    Options
    why do pepole think this is a joke im not that great on the computer....
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Because your diet advice is horrendous. Amongst other things.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options

Nah.... troll.
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    This thread wins. All anyone needed to do was look at her diary and see that she clearly over eats, doesn't log correctly and doesn't exercise enough. We didn't need 7 pages for that.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Wow you all are funny, crazy, and some of you rock with great advice! LOL I actually exercise at super HIGH intensity at my spin classes! I need to get a heart rate monitor but I know that I really push myself hard every time for 45 min class. I actually think MFP under-estimates calories for Spinning so I started using the "vigorous stationary bike" for my log....but even that I think is low because when I use the spin bike myself (not in class) , it says I burn between 450-650 every time. The bikes in the class don't have the calories on it...but I work even harder on those, soooo I don't think that is the issue! It's definately what I am eating or NOT eating. :)

Just an FYI- I use my HRM for my spin class and my instructor is a beast. I've taken numerous classes at different gyms(i travel a lot) and she is by far the hardest and ripped head to toe. That being said, in her class my HRM monitor tells me I only burn between 400-600 calories depending on the day and workout. Additonally, since everyone is responsible for setting the resistance on their bike, you can't use a blanket cal counter to get the right calories. You could feel like you are working really hard and find out you may actually not be. Also, you need to understand that there are different burning zones, you burn fat at a medium heart rate as opposed to a higher one where you are working on endurance. Look into polar heart rate monitor,they are really good about teaching you the different zones and how to work out in all. Weight loss is a math equation contingent on precise measurement.
  • nickiirusso
    nickiirusso Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm going through the same thing been at it for over a month eat 1200 cal and exercise every day. only lost 2 in the beginning it is very frustrating so I know how u feel
  • lisaggirard7
    lisaggirard7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am not losing the weight either. I have lost around 30 to 40 lbs but now I am stuck at a plateau...UGGGGGGH
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    Wow you all are funny, crazy, and some of you rock with great advice! LOL I actually exercise at super HIGH intensity at my spin classes! I need to get a heart rate monitor but I know that I really push myself hard every time for 45 min class. I actually think MFP under-estimates calories for Spinning so I started using the "vigorous stationary bike" for my log....but even that I think is low because when I use the spin bike myself (not in class) , it says I burn between 450-650 every time. The bikes in the class don't have the calories on it...but I work even harder on those, soooo I don't think that is the issue! It's definately what I am eating or NOT eating. :)

Just an FYI- I use my HRM for my spin class and my instructor is a beast. I've taken numerous classes at different gyms(i travel a lot) and she is by far the hardest and ripped head to toe. That being said, in her class my HRM monitor tells me I only burn between 400-600 calories depending on the day and workout. Additonally, since everyone is responsible for setting the resistance on their bike, you can't use a blanket cal counter to get the right calories. You could feel like you are working really hard and find out you may actually not be. Also, you need to understand that there are different burning zones, you burn fat at a medium heart rate as opposed to a higher one where you are working on endurance. Look into polar heart rate monitor,they are really good about teaching you the different zones and how to work out in all. Weight loss is a math equation contingent on precise measurement.

Agreed. That's like when people wear their heart rate monitors to Bikram yoga classes. Your heart rate is going to go up and tell you that you've burned more calories because of the intense heat but that isn't necessarily the calories that you've burned. Heat makes your heart rate go up but just because your heart rate is high doesn't mean calories are just melting off. Like you said, you can't just take a blanket guess and say, "I feel like I worked out really hard," and assume that means you burned 800 calories at the gym that day. There are days where I am dead and there are days where I feel like, that was easy and the range of calories I burn is completely different from day to day depending on what work out I am doing, etc.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    :wink:

Agreed. That's like when people wear their heart rate monitors to Bikram yoga classes. Your heart rate is going to go up and tell you that you've burned more calories because of the intense heat but that isn't necessarily the calories that you've burned. Heat makes your heart rate go up but just because your heart rate is high doesn't mean calories are just melting off. Like you said, you can't just take a blanket guess and say, "I feel like I worked out really hard," and assume that means you burned 800 calories at the gym that day. There are days where I am dead and there are days where I feel like, that was easy and the range of calories I burn is completely different from day to day depending on what work out I am doing, etc.

I've actually worn my HRM for various Yoga classes with heat and no heat and the cal burn difference is pretty minor but cal burn is based on body weight, so when she's willing to listen to the posts, she might figure out why she can't lose weight :tongue:

Sorry that was pretty snarky of me!
  • I'm in the same boat - working out hard and eating clean but I'm 4 weeks into this new diet/exercise plan and I haven't lost any weight. I drink water like a fish but I suppose drinking more wouldn't hurt. I opened myfitnesspal account today so that I can keep track better and so that I can gain support.

My exercise consists of two days per week of outdoor jogging - 20 minute jog followed by 40 minute walk, and two days a week I train at a gym with a trainer in a group setting for 60 minutes.

My diet has been incredibly lean and fresh - no eating out at all for the past 4 weeks. In the morning I make a smoothie with spinach, apples, pineapple, watermelon, blueberries and coconut water. Maybe it's too high in sugars and calories?? For snacks I have Greek yogurt, a fruit cup, an apple, rice crackers and baby carrots, for lunch I have a baked potato and chili and for dinner I usually have fish and broccoli or chicken and spinach with a side of Kale salad.

I've completely eliminated alcohol, rice and calorie-heavy beverages (zero soda, zero bottled juice - strictly water and crystal light)

Today I'm thinking about starting a 10-day juicing fast (Joel Fuhrman - fat sick and nearly dead) to jump start things.

I've tried not to obsess about the weight which is why I've only weighed-in twice during the last 4 weeks, but maybe I need to log my calories and do more frequent weigh-ins. Overall I'm ok with this being a slow and steady process because I do want this to be something that I can sustain for the rest of my life, but I am anxious to start seeing the rewards at least in the beginning.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Today I'm thinking about starting a 10-day juicing fast (Joel Fuhrman - fat sick and nearly dead) to jump start things.

No no no no no no no. No need to get extreme (he sold a lot of juicers by doing that special, and made a lot of money as well). Where will you get your fiber, protein and fats from? No need to deprive your body of nutrients just for the heck of it.

Now that you have started MFP, tracking your food should be a good wake up call. Because, although you are eating healthfully, you are likely not in a great enough deficit to be seeing the result you want.

Good luck!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat - working out hard and eating clean but I'm 4 weeks into this new diet/exercise plan and I haven't lost any weight. I drink water like a fish but I suppose drinking more wouldn't hurt. I opened myfitnesspal account today so that I can keep track better and so that I can gain support.

My exercise consists of two days per week of outdoor jogging - 20 minute jog followed by 40 minute walk, and two days a week I train at a gym with a trainer in a group setting for 60 minutes.

My diet has been incredibly lean and fresh - no eating out at all for the past 4 weeks. In the morning I make a smoothie with spinach, apples, pineapple, watermelon, blueberries and coconut water. Maybe it's too high in sugars and calories?? For snacks I have Greek yogurt, a fruit cup, an apple, rice crackers and baby carrots, for lunch I have a baked potato and chili and for dinner I usually have fish and broccoli or chicken and spinach with a side of Kale salad.

I've completely eliminated alcohol, rice and calorie-heavy beverages (zero soda, zero bottled juice - strictly water and crystal light)

I've tried not to obsess about the weight which is why I've only weighed-in twice during the last 4 weeks, but maybe I need to log my calories and do more frequent weigh-ins. Overall I'm ok with this being a slow and steady process because I do want this to be something that I can sustain for the rest of my life, but I am anxious to start seeing the rewards at least in the beginning.

The lesson here is that calories, and not how "clean" your food is, is what matters for weight loss.
  • Today I'm thinking about starting a 10-day juicing fast (Joel Fuhrman - fat sick and nearly dead) to jump start things.

No no no no no no no. No need to get extreme (he sold a lot of juicers by doing that special, and made a lot of money as well). Where will you get your fiber, protein and fats from? No need to deprive your body of nutrients just for the heck of it.

Now that you have started MFP, tracking your food should be a good wake up call. Because, although you are eating healthfully, you are likely not in a great enough deficit to be seeing the result you want.

Good luck!

Thanks! You're right, the tracking is probably the missing element and seeing it in black and white should be my wake up call. I'm sure all it takes is just tweaking the plan a little bit - not resorting to a drastic juice fast.

Jonnythan, thanks a million - lesson learned. I'll track the calories to be sure I'm really obtaining a deficit.

The sun is getting ready to go down so I'm heading out for my jog. Even though I haven't seen weight loss I can say for a fact that I feel amazing. Drinking all this water, taking my vitamins and eating fresh fruits and veggies has definitely increased my energy. I'm keeping up with the rest of the exercise class now at 4 weeks and I'm feeling accomplished in that sense.

Happy Fitness to all of you!
  • Clairebear92w
    Options
    Maybe your body has hit a plateau. If you're not getting enough calories into your body (I don't know how much calories you specifically are supposed to have, you can probably ask your doctor) then your metabolism slows down and stops burning as many calories. Also, if you've been doing the exact same workout every single day, switch it up a little bit. Try a new piece of equipment at the gym, take a class (yoga, cycling, etc.) or even just ask a trainer for some tips. Your body gets used to doing the same workout every day, so it gets easier for you (AKA you're becoming stronger!). Not to mention that just jogging on a treadmill (I call it a dreadmill) is SOOOO boring! Up the intensity or just try a new type of workout (I highly recommend HIIT, it's the best thing ever). Hope I've helped! :)