How do you know the difference between hunger and cravings?

I get so bored in the day at my day job as an accountant. I feel like I just snack and snack and snack. I typically have oatmeal in the morning, a peice of fruit for mid-morning snack, a lean cuisine for lunch, afternoon followed with another peice of fruit. I'm ALWAYS hungry during the day--or so I think I'm hungry. It is a huge struggle. When I'm at home--I'm not as hungry. So, how can I tell if I'm actually "hungry"? Is this a stupid question? lol

Replies

• Sounds like its fairly healthy food you are snacking on - so probably no big deal.
    I used to eat fast food every day for lunch, with a large muffin +coffee for morning tea break, with another biscuit + coffee for afternoon break ! Thats alot worse, and was why I was putting on my weight.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    I get so bored in the day at my day job as an accountant. I feel like I just snack and snack and snack. I typically have oatmeal in the morning, a peice of fruit for mid-morning snack, a lean cuisine for lunch, afternoon followed with another peice of fruit. I'm ALWAYS hungry during the day--or so I think I'm hungry. It is a huge struggle. When I'm at home--I'm not as hungry. So, how can I tell if I'm actually "hungry"? Is this a stupid question? lol

To me, it sounds like your choices of foods during the day might be keeping you hungry. I ate Lean Cuisine a few time until i realized they are loaded with sodium and not very filling at all.

Oatmeal is good, but with your fruit in the morning and afternoon maybe have a half serving of nuts (protein) with your fruit. Trade that processed Lean Cuisine out for something more substantial, maybe a Naan sandwich wrap with some chicken, lettuce, and tomato inside.

You sound hungry, not like your craving foods. To me, cravings are when I want a certain type of food. Random snacking, which I don't do anymore, involves neither hunger or cravings, it's out of pure boredom.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,423 Member
    Try adding some veggies to your lunch. I eat the frozen meals as well but I add tomatoes, carrots, celery, cucumber - not much calories but lots of volume! AND drink lots of water!!
  • jmp1958
    jmp1958 Posts: 24 Member
    I keep bookmark for this site: http://selfdecisiontree.com/hungry. It helps me realize that most of the time I'm not hungry - just bored or stressed.
  • Michael Pollan (food guru in my eyes) says "if you aren't hungry enough to eat an apple (or other piece of fruit) you aren't hungry."
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    I typically have oatmeal in the morning, a peice of fruit for mid-morning snack, a lean cuisine for lunch, afternoon followed with another peice of fruit. I'm ALWAYS hungry during the day--or so I think I'm hungry. It is a huge struggle.

You're hungry.

I looked at a couple of weeks' worth of your diary. You're eating a high proportion of not very filling, quickly digested carbohydrates, and not enough fat or protein. You seem to be living on oatmeal, frozen "diet" entrees, apples, and "healthy" snack bars/cookies/pudding.

Try having an egg for breakfast some days instead of oatmeal, a small serving of nuts instead of Jello or popcorn, a piece of meat or fish that isn't breaded and didn't come out of a Weight Watchers or Healthy Choice box, an ounce of full-fat hard cheese instead of reduced-fat string cheese, replace one of your fruit servings with green veggies. Still keep your calories around the same amount, though. I'd bet you'll find yourself less hungry.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Michael Pollan (food guru in my eyes) says "if you aren't hungry enough to eat an apple (or other piece of fruit) you aren't hungry."

I like that. :flowerforyou:
  • dxc92
    dxc92 Posts: 138 Member
    Michael Pollan (food guru in my eyes) says "if you aren't hungry enough to eat an apple (or other piece of fruit) you aren't hungry."

I love this!!
  • jennycita
    jennycita Posts: 40 Member

I love this!!

This is Awesome :love:
  • JustYandy
    JustYandy Posts: 221 Member
    Eat more protein if you 're hungry often...Try a handful of almonds with fruit ...cravings is the mind..My stomach hurts when I'm really hungry or growls