What makes you happy?

I've been dealing with depression and anxiety since my early teen years, and I never really did respond well to the common "fixes" such as anti-depressants and counselling. I've never been the sporty or athletic type - just the quiet type that liked to write and draw and stuff. But in the past year I discovered exercising as a sort of 'anti-depressant', and although I am still depressed or anxious, exercise has really seemed to help! I guess it distracts me, maybe.

I went for an interval walk/run on the trails, today. And feeling those crisp Autumn leaves and soil beneath my feet and the cool air in my hair was actually very uplifting. I definitely notice a difference in my mood if I skip a few days of good exercise.

What makes you guys happy?

Replies

• Hayaa79
    Hayaa79 Posts: 458 Member
    I agree with U 100% it does change ur mood... whenever am feeling blue i get up gear up & here u go...
  • lil_lizt
    lil_lizt Posts: 275 Member
    I suffer from depression, anxiety, BPD and OCD so I know where you're coming from there. What makes me happy is when my little pug zooms round doing his happy laps :)
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Haha I love when puppies do happy laps!
    I find exercise, lots of water and sleep make me happy. Not actually doing them, but how i feel afterwards.
    Also a 20minute sunbake every few days. Lots of things actually. Clothes shopping, manicures, live music, surfing, making new friends. I find these things pretty exhilarating. If i lived in the snow i would go skiing every day. Good adrenaline rush can imitate happiness too haha.
    Drawings good hey
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Little things make me happy - just as you described. And absolutely exercise! It's the best thing for depression!

I love when I see strangers laughing as I drive by.
    Seeing kids run through sprinklers.
    Burnt orange sunsets.
    Being the only one on a hiking trail in a city with millions of people.
    Dancing.
    old people holding hands or talking intently to each other, smiling.
    When a really hot guy (or girl for that matter) checks me out :laugh: Shallow but true.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Well, one - my husband always makes me happy (okay we have our moments...but for the most part he's funny, romantic, sweet and sarcastic).

Two - My son makes me happy when he sends me a FB message

Three - Ari....our doll faced persian; Doll Faced Persians are the sweetest and most animated cats ever. Ari is our second Doll Faced Persian and he keeps us laughing all the time.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc53/VmgS69/Facebook/iOS Photos/1392859_10200835831273644_878939901_n.jpg

Running also makes me happy; as long as I'm running outside. BTW - Exposure of sunshine for 20 minutes per day is also supposed to lift your spirits and it does mine. If I can't get outside any other time, I walk for at least 20 minutes at lunch to get in some Sunshine/Vitamin D therapy. :smile:
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    You've just described my "Happy Run" - lately the Fall weather has made my running a lot more enjoyable!
    VOLLEYBALL, VOLLEYBALL, VOLLEYBALL!!!
    spending time with my teenagers, they're hilarious
    a good movie night - at home or at the theatre
    Pumpkin smells and the taste
    A good nap!

(I also had depression for about 10 years.)
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Getting kisses from my pitbull :)
  • I've been dealing with depression and anxiety since my early teen years, and I never really did respond well to the common "fixes" such as anti-depressants and counselling. I've never been the sporty or athletic type - just the quiet type that liked to write and draw and stuff. But in the past year I discovered exercising as a sort of 'anti-depressant', and although I am still depressed or anxious, exercise has really seemed to help! I guess it distracts me, maybe.

I went for an interval walk/run on the trails, today. And feeling those crisp Autumn leaves and soil beneath my feet and the cool air in my hair was actually very uplifting. I definitely notice a difference in my mood if I skip a few days of good exercise.

What makes you guys happy?

I am hoping exercise lifts my mood as well. Never been one to exercise. I also live in a region where I leave and return from work and it is dark outside.

my little boy makes me happy. :)
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Being in nature (hiking (especially the amazing views at the top), walks on the beach, etc
    My two cats either being sweet and snuggly with me, or each other, or being ridiculously silly.
    Good chats with my closest girlfriends.
    Getting a bunch of stuff done and feeling like I accomplished things that day.
    Taking care of my appearance - I always feel more confidant and relaxed when I feel well put together.
  • elkahallick
    elkahallick Posts: 1,138 Member
    Nothing makes me more happy then slipping on my workout clothes, putting on tennis shoes, putting on my ear phones and crushing weights in the gym... Once those head phones are in nothing else matters.. I always feel better after a workout..
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Nothing makes me more happy then slipping on my workout clothes, putting on tennis shoes, putting on my ear phones and crushing weights in the gym... Once those head phones are in nothing else matters.. I always feel better after a workout..

^^ This!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member

^^ This!

X2
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member

^^ This!

X2

Me four...also sleep, sex, and food.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    A little early morning exercise hits the spot. I did a little 6 minute stretch this morning and was surprised how a quick little thing like that perked me up for the rest of the morning. (I was feel yucky and even hit the alarm snooze.)
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    -Taking my dog to the park, being outside and watching her have fun makes me happy.
    -Although I might not always be happy during my workout, I'm usually feeling pretty good by the time I'm done :)
    -I like having a night at home to myself to watch movies, write, or play on my computer.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    My kids, family and friends
    My dog
    Days off from work
    Food
  • tinamariecleg
    tinamariecleg Posts: 99 Member
    Having my jeans fit right makes me happy!