How long can you do a plank for?

Options
I'm going to start the plank challenge .

Replies

• MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    planking-level-fearless_o_656423.jpg
    Plank Master
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I was up to 2 minutes a couple weeks ago, but probably lost that endurance since then... I need to get my focus back...
  • jigfoot
    jigfoot Posts: 39
    Options
    planking-level-fearless_o_656423.jpg
    Plank Master

ahahahahhaha I definitely need a tiger if I wanna do longer than a minute at time hahaha
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I was going to come in here and say "Ninety seconds," but then I saw the guy on the tiger and realized that even if I could do ten minutes straight I wouldn't even put a dent in *those* giant gonads.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Ive done as much at 70 seconds.... I really need to get back to doing them. I have a weak core and when I was planking and crunching It helped my running. I never felt better as a runner than when I was doing lots of core work.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I haven't challenged myself for a long time, but I did a front plank for 8 minutes back in May.
  • crb0077
    crb0077 Posts: 35
    Options
    I usually do 90 secs front plank then 2x60 second side planks with dips at the end! I actually haven't done and abs or planks for ages.....thank you for reminding me - plank time :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    after a minute is worthless for strength gains- so I only do a minute.

Otherwise I move to a harder variation- elevated- single leg- single arm- whatever.

But straight plank- only a minute maybe. It's just boring and a waste of time for me otherwise.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Until its time to switch positions. Variety is the spice of life in the bedroom.
  • jencompton3821
    jencompton3821 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    There's a song called Flowers by Moby - I'm sure you all have heard it and probably heard of this workout but if not -
    youtube the song -
    the words are Bring Sally Up and Bring Sally Down - the whole song -
    at our gym we usually squat to the song but at home we've planked/bridged to it - you can also do pushups -
    It's about 3:20 long so if you make it through the whole song let me know!!!

Good Luck!!
  • SandySweats
    SandySweats Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I can do 45 seconds, but I am still fat as I only started working out 2.5 months ago. Plus I am eating at a deficit and it is hard for me to make improvements right now. I concentrate on just maintaining.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I was up to about 2 minutes but then I read this and changed things up a bit.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/16/plank-variations-workout_n_4102332.html
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start the plank challenge .

I do a straight plank for 90-150 seconds. I saw that 30 day challenge working people up to 5 minutes but that seems contrary to advice I've read that after awhile we start to see diminishing returns. I don't know why that is.

But the side planks are a lot harder for me so I try to do those 50-60 seconds each.