Mixed feelings..

Options
So! I just noticed on my counter that it looks like I've dropped 11 lbs... I've got about 5-10 more that I want to lose, but am pretty hyped about where I am at the moment. I can't believe it every time i step on the scale and the numbers just keep going down...

The thing is, despite having lost said 11 lbs, I have lost practically nothing as far as inches go. Anyone else able to sympathize? How much do I have to lose before I make a noticeable dent in my shape? I'm pretty small too, so I though even 10 lbs would be a pretty significant drop.

Replies

• kc_lea
    kc_lea Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    So! I just noticed on my counter that it looks like I've dropped 11 lbs... I've got about 5-10 more that I want to lose, but am pretty hyped about where I am at the moment. I can't believe it every time i step on the scale and the numbers just keep going down...

The thing is, despite having lost said 11 lbs, I have lost practically nothing as far as inches go. Anyone else able to sympathize? How much do I have to lose before I make a noticeable dent in my shape? I'm pretty small too, so I though even 10 lbs would be a pretty significant drop.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 11 lbs myself at this point.... and I have only lost maybe 1 inch. I've tried to really kick it in high gear with going to the gym... because I think that's what the issue is. Although i'm eating better... I need to try a little harder in burning off calories... and you know what they say...belly fat is the HARDEST to lose.

Good luck!
  • klikittyklak
    klikittyklak Posts: 144
    Options
    I'm the same, I've lost 10 lbs so far, but my last 10 lbs or so don't want to come off! I'm excited to be where I am, but frustrated too. Are you still losing at the same rate? I want to know your secret! lol.

As for losing inches, I'd just recommend more exercise, maybe of different types, as well as strength training. I think that's really the only way! :smile:
  • brownewell94
    brownewell94 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've lost 11 lbs since late June. However, I have not lost any inches. I've not been able to exercise like I should though. I would love to lose the inches! Do you have to eat the calories you burn from exercise? If I don't will I sabotage my weight loss?
  • kc_lea
    Options
    I have lost about 11 lbs myself at this point.... and I have only lost maybe 1 inch. I've tried to really kick it in high gear with going to the gym... because I think that's what the issue is. Although i'm eating better... I need to try a little harder in burning off calories... and you know what they say...belly fat is the HARDEST to lose.

Good luck!

I have heard that belly fat is the hardest to lose! Ha ha i tried to ignore it, but yes that definitely makes sense. I'm going to start weight training. I loooove running and go our at least 3-4 times a week, but never go to the actual gym to lift weights anymore. *sigh* i guess it's that time again!

thanks!!
    .kat
  • kc_lea
    Options
    I've lost 11 lbs since late June. However, I have not lost any inches. I've not been able to exercise like I should though. I would love to lose the inches! Do you have to eat the calories you burn from exercise? If I don't will I sabotage my weight loss?

Yah you really should eat your exercise calories, in my opinion. At least most of them. I try to stay within 100 cals of my food diary suggested daily cals. The drawback is, you might start to lose weight faster right away, but your body will try to balance as it'll go into conservation mode. It's like crash dieting -- you start to get strange cravings, and at the same time your metabolism slows down to conserve.

But! I think what it comes down to is that all our bodies are different, so whatever works for you!!

.kat
  • kc_lea
    Options
    I'm the same, I've lost 10 lbs so far, but my last 10 lbs or so don't want to come off! I'm excited to be where I am, but frustrated too. Are you still losing at the same rate? I want to know your secret! lol.

As for losing inches, I'd just recommend more exercise, maybe of different types, as well as strength training. I think that's really the only way! :smile:

Hey! Thanks for the reply! I'm glad i'm not the only one. I guess it'll have to be those last 10 lbs that make the difference. And yes, you're definitely right - i hate strength training, but i'll get back on it this week.

As far as losing weight... actually it's funny because for about a month I didnt lose anything at all. I'd fluxuate between 1-5 lbs, up and down. My body suddenly clicked and I've been losing about a pound a week ever since. Also, I'm Canadian and so as soon as summer hits, my activity level pretty much triples. I'll let you know if it keeps up!

I think the only real 'secret' is to not look for the quick fix and get used to your body changing slowwwwly
  • sunnyholtz
    Options
    I also was disappointed when I didn't loose any inches, and then suddenly at 17lbs I lost 4 inches total. I know it can be frustrating not to "see" the results right away. :-)
  • sheristeele
    Options
    I lost about the same amount and didn't think anyone had noticed either: then, people started calling me "little". That was when I relealized that I had made a difference.. just noone said anything yet.
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    It takes about 15-20 to REALLY see a difference. Don't worry! It will come off. Just remember, it took a long time to put it on, it's going to take that much longer to get it off. (it's easy putting it on! but more gratifying to get it off!)
    The inches will come off too. Work out as much as you can. My thing is, if I don't see myself in 5 years doing the workout I'm doing now, then I know I won't keep it up. So I don't kill myself. Maybe 3-4 days a week (if that) And while you're watching tv at night. Get on the floor. Do crunches, leg lifts, etc. It all adds up!
    Good Luck!
  • kc_lea
    Options
    It takes about 15-20 to REALLY see a difference. Don't worry! It will come off. Just remember, it took a long time to put it on, it's going to take that much longer to get it off. (it's easy putting it on! but more gratifying to get it off!)
    The inches will come off too. Work out as much as you can. My thing is, if I don't see myself in 5 years doing the workout I'm doing now, then I know I won't keep it up. So I don't kill myself. Maybe 3-4 days a week (if that) And while you're watching tv at night. Get on the floor. Do crunches, leg lifts, etc. It all adds up!
    Good Luck!

Aw! Thanks this really helps. I spent the past couple months running 3-4 times a week, sometimes 5-6 times, and slowed down once 'real life' started again. You're right - it's about long term and as long as i keep my mind on that, then my measurements today dont stress me out that much.
  • stacesand
    stacesand Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I recently joined MFP, but I started my lifestyle change at the end of January this year. I quickly lost 5 pounds, but then tapered off and by the end of April had lost 20. It wasn't until about that 20th pound that my clothes actually seemed too big for me. I moved at the end of April, so I wasn't eating well (trying to buy as little food as possible so I didn't have to move all of it), and I continued not to eat well once I was moved in (because I was trying to get the place clean enough so I could actually use it). Now...I've changed my "diet" because I thought the change I made before wasn't quite right for me. Since I've changed that diet, I haven't really lost anything. I'm just hoping my body adjusts to the new way soon! But I know it will, and I will start to see a difference eventually. Time my dear. It sounds like you're doing great and before you know it, you'll see a difference that other people may already see.