A pretty cool day.

Options
TheFinalThird
TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
Today was a pretty cool day. I had something shocking happen that proved I did the right thing in walking away from big paying "downtown" law firm job to open my sole practice 20 years ago. In the mid-1990's, a woman called me very upset wanting to appeal something that happened in family court. A bad result in a child support matter. By the grace of God, I was able to get the woman and her then-very young son some more child support. I also negotiated a fee reduction with the family lawyer (who recognized she could have done a better job). I didn't charge the woman anything (because I thought she had been through enough with the legal system, and frankly, she didn't have much for herself or her son). Flash forward 15 or so years later to a few months ago. Out of the blue, I received a thank you note from her son, who had just graduated from law school. He said that he went to law school because his mother told him how I had helped them, and he wanted to do the same thing for someone else. The mother told me that without the increase in child support, they probably would not have had enough resources for her son to attend college or law school. Today, while working on a brief, I received a telephone message from the woman that her son passed the Nevada bar exam on the first try. She said he wanted me to know right away. Sometimes we're fortunate enough to find out that we made a meaningful difference in the lives of others.

Replies

• lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    That is so AWESOME!!!! wow. That's great that you made such an impact and they're letting you know!!! That is a pretty cool day :)
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    That's pretty amazing! I can't think of much that is more fulfilling or rewarding than knowing you made such an enormous impact on someones' lives. Especially when you think about how many more people you're helping by extension, if the son goes on to assist other people as you did.
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    :heart:
    Pretty cool indeed
  • LadyBugLex17
    LadyBugLex17 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    This is so great!! :smile:
  • Joniboloney
    Joniboloney Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    What a beautiful story. Thank you for making a difference is this woman and her son's life. God bless you.
  • RN514
    RN514 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Aw! You're awesome. :) this made my night...thanks for sharing!
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Much better than just a pretty cool day... That is a great day.
  • CharlzO
    CharlzO Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    That's an awesome story! Very inspiring that you've helped shape a pair of lives by your generosity and kindness, and to have them reach out to thank you after all this time, is just great! Kudos to you, by far!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    OMG that gave me tears and chills. You never know who's life you will touch.
  • xoeva
    xoeva Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    That's an amazing story...it made me cry! Thanks for sharing!
  • lgrix
    lgrix Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Good job playing it forward.
  • rayonrainbows
    rayonrainbows Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    fabulous :) let the karma roll
  • FitzyFitzpatrick
    FitzyFitzpatrick Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You actually make more difference than you'll ever know...((hugs)).
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Pay it forward, baby! Awesome story, I bet you feel like a million bucks :)
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    That doesn't even surprise me all that much. You are a very caring and thoughtful person and I can see where it is contagious. I hope he truly does find ways to pay it forward! Somehow, I think he will. :)
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    wow, that is awesome. Paying it forward, and forward again.
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! Your story brought tears and chills to me. Well done and thanks for paying it forward :flowerforyou:
  • sassyrayofsunshine
    sassyrayofsunshine Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    that's great! to know you made a difference in someone's life :)

great way to make your day :)
  • LilBritGettinFit
    LilBritGettinFit Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    This is amazing. Made me all teary eyed. What a great day!
  • TammyW18
    TammyW18 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Very cool, goes to show how far a positive act of kindness can truely go.