Damned if you do, damned if you don't

Options
2»

Replies

• sherry_80
    sherry_80 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I would not call my family unsupportive but my kids are scared about me changing. "but mom, you're pretty the way you are" is sweet but what it's saying, I think, is "don't change too much, mom"!

Man my kids are like "when are going to lose the fat", my kids want me to lose weight, they do not like that i am fat.
    yes they use the word "FAT" a lot. Its not we have not had a talk about saying that word, but they are like tell it like it is, any other way is a lie.
    I think my weight affects my 6 yr old daughter the most, she wants me to be skinny like her.
    Out of my family i am the one with the weight issue, everyone got daddy's skinny gene. eat anything you want and don't gain weight at all.
  • sherry_80
    sherry_80 Posts: 86 Member
    Options

The sad thing is that she knows very well what diabetes is, which is why I don't understand why she gets so moody.

It sounds like you have to push the issue, i did, I had to make my family understand. I have to lose weight, so i can be healthy and i can keep up with them, i had to change the menu, - ( The kids didn't mind, but husband is still putting up a fight) I had to push my exercise time, i gave up TV, i don't watch TV, I wake up at 4 am to get 1 hr of zumba in my day. My workouts are downloaded on to my computer, so not only do i turn it on early morning but i have to listen to the radio at the same time. they are just gonna have to listen until i am done, I only bother my husband, kids don't mind, they stop and watch.
  • babygirlrere
    Options
    STAY FOCUSED AND DO WHAT IT TAKES TO BETTER YOUR HEALTH ...I DONT MEAN TO BE AROGANT BUT THEY ARE NOT THE ONES WHO WILL HAVE TO TAKE SHOTS AND MEDS ALL THE TIME AND THEY ARE NOT THE ONES WHO WOULD HAVE TO DEAL WITH ALL THE ISSUES THAT COME WITH DIABETES......SO INCOURAGE YOURSELF AND STAY ON TRACK AND IF YOU HAVE TO GO TO THE GYM OR GET UP EARLY SO YOU DONT HAVE TO HEAR THE COMPLAINTS DO JUST THAT BUT WHATEVER YOU DO JUST DONT GIVE UP ON YOUR FITNESS GOALS...... GOOD LUCK............
  • eabrown1
    Options
    I think what I may do is try to go to bed a little earlier and then get up around 5am and exercise then. I hope I don't wake anyone up. Apt is kinda small lol. Yoga is quiet.. I could do that .. now that I think about it.

Ok.. now I just need to get my tired behind out of bed! That's going to be a challenge in itself hahaha

If your family thinks you're being a "picky eater" maybe you could work out a schedule where you cook at least x times a week so you can coordinate your 'picky habits'.

If you are planning on getting up early and worry about waking everyone....just go to the apt gym you mentioned. You'll get a more diverse workout and not have to worry about waking the house (or your neighbors).
  • mkcole
    mkcole Posts: 46
    Options
    If you don't get yourself healthy you may really have your family life in shambles because you may not be here. You need to sit them down and explain how important it is that you do this. My aunt/uncle/and cousin all have diabetes and it is really sad because they struggle with it daily. My cousin (who is only 15 btw) could have prevented this had she had a good example to go by, don't be that bad example for your family. Keep doing what you are doing!! In the long run when you are here for them and healthy and strong then they will understand and be appreciative.
  • littlemo78
    littlemo78 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your support and advice. :-) I greatly appreciate it!
  • 2Bfit4ever
    Options
    lilttlemo78 -- I most certainly feel your frustration. (been there done that). First off, I want to tell you a little about myself: I am an insulin dependent diabetic. Have not always been. Was not until I was in my 30's. My doctor always called me ''pre-diabetic" and when I started on oral medications, I was considered Type II. Later, (in my 40's) and my blood sugar kept elevating EVEN THO I WAS DOING EVERYTHING RIGHT, I went to an Endocrinologist who diagnosed me as LADA (Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults) which is primarily same thing as Type I but did not manifest until adulthood.
    I went thru the same thing with my family. I married a 'good ole southern boy' - you know, the kind who grew up with biscuits and gravy and everything fried. I took over where his mom left off and that's the way I cooked for him and the kids. Well, when I found out about my diabetic problem, I started to change the way I cooked around here. COMPLAINTS you would not believe. I went to diabetic classes and did a lot of research. There are so many recipes out there - fast and easy ones - that are soooo good, you would be amazed. Many, I'm so sure, your entire family will like. You really do not have to give up your favorite foods. Carbs are NOT the enemy. You just mainly have to be a better shopper and choose products more wisely, change around the way you cook them - and of course, reduce your portions.

Exercise is so vital. You are doing right with the Wii or even going to the apartment gym - you're lucky to have one. One hour a day really is not so much to ask your family to consider for your time. How about, maybe, taking a brisk one hour walk around the neighborhood and maybe inviting them to join you?
    You should also explain to them that diabetes is a silent killer!! This disease will attack every single organ in your body from your eyes all the way down to your toes without you even being aware of it. High blood sugar and cholestoral which go hand in hand, landed me in the hospital a few years ago with a stroke and my kidneys shutting down --mainly because I passed things off and did not take care of myself as I should have. Talk about a wake up call. I am so fortunate to have been able to come back from that. Won't happen again. I cannot take care of my family if I don't first take care of myself. I am my number one priority.

Please take that attitude! You are number 1. You cannot be there for your family if you don't take care of yourself. Do some research. YOU can control your diabetes and/or ''pre-diabetes' condition. Do not allow it to control you. It is manageable, and in many cases will go away with a healthy lifestyle change. :happy: