low carb bust?

Options
So in the past doing low carb was a good 'kick start' to get me seeing results quick. Although i fell off the fitness/healthy wagon for the last year I'm trying to get back on it so i decided to do low carb, I've done it for two days now and have LOST NOTHING! I'm so discouraged. since I've tried it a few time in the last few months, and the same thing has happened have i lost the low carb mojo? I know it seems silly but i have no idea why i wouldn't see a loss.

ALSO, how does working out while doing 20 net grams of carbs or less work? Does it help or hurt?

Thanks so much!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Two whole days and nothing! Wow, SMH!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    What, exactly, were you expecting to happen after 2 days?
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    2 days? Hun, it's not a miracle, give it at least a week...

Plus, I know you are keeping your carbs low, but are your calories at a deficient as well? If not, the low carb won't help. Are you logging everything (portions as well) everyday?
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    discouraged after 2 days? You don't get overweight over night, so don't expect to lose weight over night.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Seriously, 2 days and you're already worried about lack of progress? Calm down, this is a long process.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    2 days.. Just quit.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    All you're going to lose in 2 days is water weight anyweigh...lol. Just give it some time, there are lot of helpfull people on here with alot of good advice. Good luck to ya! :flowerforyou:
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I hit my goal weight in 2 days, sorry to hear about your misfortune. Not all of us can be that lucky.
  • eguerrette
    eguerrette Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Sorry I should have elaborated a little more, I know it's not an overnight process to get to my goal BUT in the past I have generally lost about 2 -4 lbs in the first 2 days of doing low carb. So do see nothing is discouraging, I do know it's a lifestyle to be healthy again and it'll get there but i just want some little victories...
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    You aren't going to see a change in two days, sorry.
  • tinamariecleg
    tinamariecleg Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    When I start low carb I don't weight myself for a full seven days.. It takes time. Keep your chin up :)
  • eguerrette
    Options
    I don't really understand the smarmy remarks... if you think my question is dumb or that i have no idea then just don't reply. Why be nasty? Is it helpful for you to make people feel stupid? Is that really what forums have come to?

I appreciate those who have clearly gone through this and understand that just a small victory can help keep the motivation to put your shoes on for the next workout or do not have a beer or glass of wine because it's no part of the plan. Thank you to those people who commented. :)
  • eguerrette
    Options
    Oh one more thing, if anyone has any HELPFUL advice on working out while doing low carb that would be great.

I've seen better short term results by not working out while doing low carb but I'm really missing that 'strong' feeling and I'm desperately trying to get back into my morning routine of working out so I'd like to be able to keep it up. Has anyone else experienced this? I saw someone mention the calorie deficiency may cause me to not lose because my body thinks it's starving.
    It is hard for me to get 1,000 a day when I do low carb so it would make sense.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Eat more than 1200. Just do it. I dont care what diet your doing your body needs fuel to function and a few months from now you will NOT be feeling good at all on that little, trust me.
  • kjimmie4848
    kjimmie4848 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It's hard for me to get to 1200 on low carb too. Just logging what I want to eat is about 1,000. So I add cheese to everything.
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Ok well low carb (true original back in 70s) was always under 20g carbs and takes 3 days to get into ketosis to begin losing. My dad lost a lb a day doing low carb back then I lost almost a hundred pounds in a year and a half. So it does work for awhile didnt for me after that.
    This also means anytime you cheat and go over 20 carbs it takes 3 more days to get back in ketosis just fyi.
    I dont use it anymore but have in the past.
    Kimmie
  • law110
    law110 Posts: 43
    Options
    One thing that has been great for me to do is to look at success stories and then find the people with open food journals. It's been inspiring to see that a variety of foods can lead to success if you stick to the calorie limits. You have so much more freedom to make your own choices.
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't change up or turbo charge your workouts - stay low carb - really up your water and be sure that you are getting enough fat along with the protein --and believe it or not sodium too.... If you were already pretty low carb - might take several days to get down to ultra low carb - be careful of the 'dreaded carb flu' Give it some time
  • GamerGirly
    GamerGirly Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Low carb must be in conjunction with Low Cal. Typically for me, when I was doing keto I would maintain 7-15 nets carbs and about 1000-1200 cals daily.
    Workouts consist of heavy lifting and light cardio.

Worked fine for me :)
    Oh one more thing, if anyone has any HELPFUL advice on working out while doing low carb that would be great.

I've seen better short term results by not working out while doing low carb but I'm really missing that 'strong' feeling and I'm desperately trying to get back into my morning routine of working out so I'd like to be able to keep it up. Has anyone else experienced this? I saw someone mention the calorie deficiency may cause me to not lose because my body thinks it's starving.
    It is hard for me to get 1,000 a day when I do low carb so it would make sense.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Eat more than 1200. Just do it. I dont care what diet your doing your body needs fuel to function and a few months from now you will NOT be feeling good at all on that little, trust me.

This.

I have a ketogenic lifestyle because it is what makes me healthiest and happiest; however, if you are only low carb for weight loss and it's temporary, low carb is a FAIL. Not eating enough is also a fail. The advice that it must be low cal (1000-1200) is just plain wrong. The whole point of eating this way is to be fully nourished, not find a convenient way to starve yourself just because you are not struggling with hunger. I want to slap people who tell others to under-eat. Really.

You are getting sarcastic remarks because you posted a "help me, I'm not losing weight" thread and you've changed your lifestyle for 2 days. Do you think you really lose 2-4 pounds of fat in 2 days, or might it be water? "Low carb bust" isn't accurate for something tried for 2 days. I've been ketogenic for 15 months. I lost fairly quickly in the beginning and now I don't, but my health is AMAZING. Not once have I ever lost 2 pounds of fat in 2 days.