Weight loss advice needed - a lot of weight to lose...

Options
Hi! I'm getting a little frustrated. I've been working out and trying to eat better since late August-early September. In September I lost 5 lbs. Woohoo! In October, I wasn't losing any weight. That's when I found out about MFP and started logging my food. I've been logging my food for two weeks now, doing good on MOST days to stay under my calories. I've been tracking every single thing, even those sneaky fun-sized candies. I've lost 1 lb in 2 weeks, and while that is great, I feel like I'm not losing as much as I should be. I weigh 306 lbs, so if It stays like this, 2 lbs a month is going to take forever to lose at least 100 lbs. I'm not trying to lose 100 lbs in 2-3 months, I know it takes time, but shouldn't I be losing at least a little bit more than this, being that I weigh so much? MFP gave me a goal of 1640 calories a day. I meet the goal on most days, sometimes having a calorie deficiency of about 200 cals (sometimes a little more, sometimes less) when I work out. What am I doing wrong???

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale and measuring cups for liquids? I highly recommend it. You'd be amazed how many extra calories can be unaccounted for if you're just eyeballing food for portion. Also, what is staying under most days? Depends on how many days you go over and by how much, you could be negating your deficit. Good luck!
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Open your diary...
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Buy a food scale and weigh Everything you eat, workout 5-6 days a week. Don't eat back your exercise calories, and eat over 130g of protein. Days you are over your calorie limit should be logged as it can reduce your deficit. Try to start with home cooked meals where you are controlling your ingredients and portion sizes before going out to eat and fast food.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    Options
    Open your diary...

BMR = 2150 (approx)

Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 2580
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2956
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 3333
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 3709
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 4085

subtract -20% from which activity level you're on lightly active will give you 2364/day and exercise 5xs a week (dont eat these back) drink plenty of water. Hope this helps :flowerforyou:
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Open your diary...

BMR = 2150 (approx)

Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 4085

subtract -20% from which activity level you're on lightly active will give you 2364/day and exercise 5xs a week (dont eat these back) drink plenty of water. Hope this helps :flowerforyou:

BMR numbers don't really work well when you are morbidly obese. The charts use an equation that assumes a certain percentage of lean body mass which doesn't hold true when you outside the normal ranges.

OP if you are weighing and measuring all your food and accounting for every single thing that passes your lips then there's a problem. 1640 is a fine calorie goal for you and you should be losing weight. You haven't been doing this long enough for your weight loss to have slowed and I would have expected large numbers dropping the first few weeks just in water weight alone.
  • girlcalledryan
    girlcalledryan Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Stick to it, drink lots of water, be honest with yourself about portion sizes and where you want to be. The most important thing is to find some activity you can do and do it. As much as you can. Walk an extra 1/2 hour every day this week, add more next week. Activity and "diet" work together. I have lost over 100#. It is possible. And, ya, it can take FOREVER. But if you stick to a plan you should be seeing 2# a week. Feel free to message or add me, and good luck.
  • Michelle_MyBelle
    Michelle_MyBelle Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Ok, don't be too hard on me. I've opened my diary. Like I said, I've logged in EVERYTHING I've been eating, including candy, condiments and yes, FAST FOOD (yes, I know fast food is bad, but believe me, I've cut down A LOT on fast food in the past few months, still working on it...) Started logging since 10/15 and missed about 3 days in between.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Options
    Ok, don't be too hard on me. I've opened my diary. Like I said, I've logged in EVERYTHING I've been eating, including candy, condiments and yes, FAST FOOD (yes, I know fast food is bad, but believe me, I've cut down A LOT on fast food in the past few months, still working on it...) Started logging since 10/15 and missed about 3 days in between.

Fast food isnt the end of the world as long as you stay within your limits :) I'm in love with the grilled chicken Mcwraps, myself.
  • guroprincess
    Options
    You might be overestimating calories burned while exercising. If you do that, and then eat back your exercise calories, you're not going to lose any weight.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    Options
    Open your diary...

BMR = 2150 (approx)

BMR numbers don't really work well when you are morbidly obese. The charts use an equation that assumes a certain percentage of lean body mass which doesn't hold true when you outside the normal ranges.

OP if you are weighing and measuring all your food and accounting for every single thing that passes your lips then there's a problem. 1640 is a fine calorie goal for you and you should be losing weight. You haven't been doing this long enough for your weight loss to have slowed and I would have expected large numbers dropping the first few weeks just in water weight alone.

I figured it was something to try I started at 293 so...
  • 4daluvof_candice
    Options

Girl, it looks fine...Try and get as accurate as possible. All these numbers are estimates anyway but it something to shoot for. Just make sure you get your 5 servings of fruits and veggies, 8+ water; 2-3 servings of dairy, 2-3 servings of lean protein and grains. you'll be fine.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Options
    3 oz of chicken for lunch? Did you weigh this, that's a super duper tiny piece. Are you weighing these? Stick to your calorie goal, if you're using MFP for your calorie goal, only eat 50% of what it gives you in burns, especially with your goal, currently.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with fast food if it fits your budget and keeps you from going nuts craving it. It's definitely not good for you but it won't stop weight loss. I'd suggest not eating back all your exercise calories. Your numbers may be fine though they look a bit high but only eating back 50% at most leaves some leeway for errors in logging foods.

You really need to weigh and measure food too. A 1/4 of carrots? Point 1 of corn? If that's true try for 1 cup of carrots and 1/4 of macaroni and cheese.
  • guroprincess
    Options
    Your caloric overages according to your diary, not taking exercise into account because MFP overestimates like crazy.

Wednesday- over by 300 cals
    Thursday- over by 217 cals
    Friday- over by 165 cals
    Saturday- over by 610 cals (900+ calories of exercise??)
    Sunday- over by 176 cals
    Monday- over by 94 cals
    Tuesday- over by 80 cals

= for a week, over by 1642 cals. Enough to slow down weight loss significantly. And this is assuming that you are weighing/portioning everything correctly.

(Btw-- this # leaves you losing about a half a pound a week, which is what you said you were losing.)
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're using a kitchen scale to weigh your food. It's amazing how quickly 3 oz can become 6 oz. when eyeballed. I'm 5'6" 270-ish lbs atm, but I started at 383 lbs. The kitchen scale is your best friend, seriously. I'd also suggest that you work with the MFP exercise calories as well. When I still had a gym membership I found that the treadmill burns were fairly accurate at my weight, but other people eat the full amount and gain. It's trial and error sometimes. Best of luck to you.
  • shabrick00
    shabrick00 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hey buddy, Im in the same boat with havind alot of weight to lose... i started out at 347lbs. And I am now about 333.4. I am not seeing a significant amount of weight falling anymore so I have decided to not eat back my exercise calories. REMEMBER THAT SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE:smile:
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I think you should not count your exercise calories until you start seeing results!
  • almamarines
    almamarines Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and it seems like you do okay. It looks like you are exercising and drinking enough. The only thing I can suggest is to have a bigger more filling breakfast and do not overeat for dinner or spend most of your calories there. I would manage the calories a bit better and distribute them so that you feel fuller longer and less likely to eat the naughty stuff. Also, fast food seems to be killing you. If you look at your fat and sodium intake, you are going over when you do eat fast food. Cook at home if possible. Good luck.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    Options
    The only thing I can suggest is to have a bigger more filling breakfast...

I thought the same thing :wink:
  • Michelle_MyBelle
    Michelle_MyBelle Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips! I'm definitely getting a food scale, lowering my carb intake and will add some healthy snacks to curb my cravings in between. I'm sure I've also been overestimating my exercise calories. Maybe to help me with this I'll start putting in only 1/2 the time worked out in MFP to get a more accurate reading of the total amount burned?