Staying under calories but still gaining weight?

Options
About 5 days ago I weighed 182.8 lbs, however today I weighed myself and I was 184.4 lbs. I've been under my calorie goal by a bit every day and I've been exercising almost every day. I do dancing, push-ups, weights, and crunches, however I was reading the most you gain a week in muscle is .5 lbs. Am I doing something wrong? Should I be eating even less?

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Be patient and log everything accurately. Also, this forum is for people trying to gain weight.
  • dbm037
    dbm037 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Weight especially for women can fluctuate and mine can go 5 pounds in either direction. just keep sticking with it and don't let the scale discourage you. For that very reason I do not weigh myself everyday. Once a week at the most
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    5 days in I wouldn't be too worried. If this is still the case 30 days from now I'd pose the same question.

Just keep eating at a deficit, be true with your weighing/logging as I'm sure you are and you'll be fine :)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    I agree fluctuations are normal.

Questions I ask myself when I feel stalled ...Am I noticing my clothes getting looser or tighter. With muscle gain even with a weight gain my clothes will loosen up. Another thought ... Am I getting enough sleep? I find it is hard for me to lose/ to maintain when I am not getting enough sleep. ...Am I cutting out processed foods? For me when I eat less processed foods I feel more satisfied with the food I eat and tend to eat less naturally. Another bonus is they tend to be less salty so I retain less water weight.

Glad to hear you are a faithful logger.:happy:
  • bigbyrdie
    bigbyrdie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It's probably just fluid retention/water weight. Maybe you aren't hydrating enough pre and post workout. You need to replace what you sweat out and then some. Water is life!
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    1 week is not enough time to get a good idea of weight loss trends. for all you know, you may need to go poop or be retaining extra sodium bloat!

"IF" after 3-4 weeks, you are still gaining, well... then you are eating more than you think! or, you are eating too many calories, maybe over estimating your exercise...

but believe me, unless you are one of the few who have an underlying health condition that somehow has flown under the radar all this time until now, you are simply taking in more calories than the energy you are exporting.

that is it.
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    About 5 days ago I weighed 182.8 lbs, however today I weighed myself and I was 184.4 lbs. I've been under my calorie goal by a bit every day and I've been exercising almost every day. I do dancing, push-ups, weights, and crunches, however I was reading the most you gain a week in muscle is .5 lbs. Am I doing something wrong? Should I be eating even less?

There are 3500 calories in a lb of fat. For you to gain a pound you would need to consume 3500 calories on top of your maintenance. If you're eating below maintenance fat gain is scientifically impossible. Drink plenty of water and I'm willing to bet you gained some water weight is all. I gain up to 7 lbs in water weight if I go for long periods with low water intake. Don't freak out over 2 lbs lol...it could be anything.
  • Live4theLift
    Options
    Its either A: water weight or B: you may not be logging everything accurately. Try to proof read the info before you add it, sometimes when i scan an item its off by some cals or it comes up as a completely different item
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I tend to find that my weight increases during the middle of a 7-day week and then decreases to a point where I can see a loss of .3-1lb. My point is that if you're used to weighing in the same day, same time each week, you may have gotten on the scale too early and saw a normal fluctuation. This is why people commonly advise those on MFP to only weigh themselves once a week on the same day and same time-- so that those fluctuations don't freak you out. I can gain up to three pounds (usually water) of weight in a week. If I've been doing everything right, it comes off with extra by the time my scheduled weigh in comes around.

Hang in there!