High protein low calorie vegetarian foods?

Options
Hi all,

I want to increase my protein intake, but every time I try to add protein to my diet, they're all calorie dense foods.
What are some good options for low calorie high protein vegetarians?
I do drink an Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey everyday, that kinda helps - but what are some natural sources?

Replies

• TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt! Fage 0% has 130 calories for a whole cup, and 23g of protein!
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    >Tempeh 19grams per serving
    >Tofu about 16grams per serving
    >Spirulina (About 60% of this is pure protein)
    >Miso
    >Most if not all nuts
    >Most seeds
    >Beans
    >Legumes
    >Dahl
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Eggs!

Sprouted tofu has more protein than regular, if you can find it :)

Not a huge protein source, but it can add up. Replace regular bread with sprouted bread, a bit of extra protein there. (My favorite is Trader Joe's 7 Grain Sprouted Bread. 60 calories and 5g protein per slice) If you like wraps, La Tortilla Factory makes low carb wheat wraps with 50 calories and 5g protein.
  • KingRat79
    KingRat79 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    >Miso
    >Most if not all nuts
    >Most seeds
    >Beans
    >Legumes
    >Dahl

this^^^^^ plus

Low fat cottage cheese
    Greek yoghurt
    Eggs
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Broccoli gets 40% of its calories from protein--most green veggies are in that range. Nom on all the plain veggies you can and you'll be set.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt, lots of veggies (most are pretty low in calories). beans.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, chia and hemp seed are complete proteins.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    chicken or beef, not sure which is more protein. also locusts are supposed to be all protein, and very healthy!
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    >Miso
    >Most if not all nuts
    >Most seeds
    >Beans
    >Legumes
    >Dahl

Most nuts are very high in calories did she not request low cal?
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Eggs! Certain types of cheese are better than others. Beans.

When I need a protein bomb after working out with a vegetarian (hiking, running a race, etc), I make my version of huevos rancheros - two corn tortillas with cheese melted in between and an egg dropped on top (kind of like eggy toast in quesada form). Add salsa, hot sauce, and black beans. Voila. Before the black beans, we're talking about less than 300 calories.
    (Of course, if I've hiked 10 miles that day I'm probably eating at least two of them, but most of the time one is fine.)

On weekdays after my strength training I usually have 1/2 cup of plain greek yogurt (130 calories), a small banana (90), a tablespoon of ground flaxseed (30), and a little bit of honey (30?) for sweetness. Works out to under 300 calories.

If I ran 4 miles or more that morning, I'm eating this in smoothie form with an added cup of milk and a cup of strawberries (500 odd calories total, not really low calories, but I care more about the post-run food than the calories at the 4 mile + point).
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    chicken or beef, not sure which is more protein. also locusts are supposed to be all protein, and very healthy!

That would have to be vegetarian chicken and beef. You'd have to eat a lot of broccoli to get a decent amount of protein. Nobody will want to be within 100 feet of you! I go with tempeh, tofu, Greek yogurt and fat free/low fat cottage cheese. Veggie dogs are only 50 calories and 7 g of protein, so you could have 2. That's pretty decent.
  • Timeforme714
    Timeforme714 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    And mushrooms! 1 cup for 24 calories and 8 grams of protein. I saute them in olive oil spray and add them to everything.