What to do with rabbit?

Options
Somehow, I ended up with a whole rabbit in my freezer. It's all skinned and cleaned and stuff, but it's whole, not butchered.

I've had rabbit once or twice in a restaurant, but never cooked it. What should I do with it? I had considered just putting the whole thing in the crock pot, shredding it, and then making rabbit tacos out of it. But there must be something better. Who loves to eat rabbit and knows how to make it good?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My Scottish mother-in-law makes something similar to this which is very good anytime I've had it...

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1660637/slowcooked-rabbit-stew
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/rabbit_in_mustard_sauce/ is my favorite rabbit recipe. Its amazing. Rabbit itself is extremely lean, so don't be afraid to leave in the butter and just swap the heavy cream with evaporated milk. (or swap the butter and leave in the cream...)
  • callie006
    callie006 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'd say stew it in the crockpot with some fresh vegetables and herbs. Rabbit is low in fat, so it can get really stringy if you aren't careful in the way you cook it.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Stew it, it's a good start. I personally like it cooked like schnitzel or fried chicken. Tagine is also nice. I have been known to make rillettes from it.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Any of the above mentioned are fine. Just a side note. Is it tame or wild? If it is wild add onion and/or apple slices to take the wild taste out while in the crock pot or precooking. I've precooked it and then coated it with flour and fried it. Of course that adds some not too healthy stuff to a good source of protein.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    The stringiness is a factor - do you have a slow-cooker? It's probably the best way to guarantee it'll come out tender.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    once you figure it out, invite me to dinner..

:~)
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I always wanted to try rabbit! I believe braising is what they recommend for larger pieces of it. Apparently the kidneys and liver are also good.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Any of the above mentioned are fine. Just a side note. Is it tame or wild? If it is wild add onion and/or apple slices to take the wild taste out while in the crock pot or precooking. I've precooked it and then coated it with flour and fried it. Of course that adds some not too healthy stuff to a good source of protein.

Soaking in buttermilk does that as well.

Then again, if you properly bleed the thing after killing it, most of the game flavor is taken out.
  • LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    rabbit stew!
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

Soaking in buttermilk does that as well.

Then again, if you properly bleed the thing after killing it, most of the game flavor is taken out.

^^ This. Another option - crock pot & some oranges. Deeeeeelish.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Well I guess since it's skinned it would be really disturbing if you pulled it out of a hat.
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Fried with brown gravy , fried potatoes, and biscuits. I grew up eating that meal.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I want a pet lop eared rabbit.
  • emartin17
    emartin17 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    hasenpfeffer all the way. with biscuits
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Mmmm rabbit, my favorite game meat! And I have to say, in response to the person who suggested cooking with onion or apple, like any game meat, that gamey taste seems to depend on what the animal was eating, they are not all alike. I've had wild and farm raised rabbit and actually enjoyed the wild a lot more.

We've only ever grilled our rabbit meat but I could see it being really good in a stew!

Hm, now I think I may have to convince Hubs to try for another rabbit this year...
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I marinate mine overnight and then bbq it.

254585_1752333608983_7682218_n_zpsfb4fc2e3.jpg
  • Thommothebear
    Thommothebear Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    marinade it in white wine, olive oil, garlic and onion for 4-8 hours, then grill or fry it a t a low temperature while basting with the marinate to keep it moist. Absolutely delicious
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    Try your local pet shop for some super ideas, I was in the other day and saw recipe books for all sorts of things,

How to enjoy your Rabbit

How to enjoy your Goldfish

How to enjoy your Hamster

and many others!
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    It's very good in a classic marinara sauce--as others have mentioned, slow cooking seems to be the best way. It is also very bony, especially when slow cooked and the meat falls off, but oh so delicious.