Little explanation?

Options
I am a 22 year old male (190 or so lbs, haven't weighed myself in a month) and it seems like whenever I try to count calories, it isn't hard to stick to it (1300 calories doesn't leave me starving because of the amount of protein and how I take it most of the day) but I always feel like I am gaining weight whenever I count calories. I notice (like can feel) my sides more and I don't feel like I am losing any weight. I also have to force feed myself on days where I exercise (because I like to run) because I can barely seem to hit the number as is.

I know when I am not counting calories I eat way to much because I don't account for the fact that I already at a certain amount of food, I just eat cause I am bored.

So what I am wondering is this, is my calorie intake just overall too low? (1300) I will be incorporating weight training after my wrist surgery and PT, but I would like to lose enough weight (I am thinking about 35 lbs, I would like to be about 10% body fat) so that when I can start lifting again I don't have a protective covering over my abs and a set of love handles. I want to raise my self-confidence and I know I will think better of myself without the additions.

I am currently (not by calipers just weight to height) at 30% body fat, but I think it's probably closer to 20-25% I do not look obese, and I run semi-regularly (Once every week at least a couple miles).

Any helpful tips you have would be awesome.

Replies

• kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    1300 for a young man is FAR too low
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Did MFP set you at 1300 calories?
  • CharBoneO
    Options

Yeah, to lose 2 lbs a week I am suppose to eat 1300 calories.
  • bekahlou75
    Options
    Then you're fine at 1300. It took into consideration what you put as your expected weekly exercise. That's the amount you should be eating to lose 2 pounds a week.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

use that; it'll give you a better estimate--MFP doesn't take into account BMR or really much of anything in the initial setting. I'm a 5'4" 130lb woman, and I lose on 1500 calories with no exercise.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Then you're fine at 1300. It took into consideration what you put as your expected weekly exercise. That's the amount you should be eating to lose 2 pounds a week.

Um no...............MFP didn't include any exercise.....it just included activity level. You have to log exercise before get any credit. Your NET calories are those you eat.

Eat 1800 less 500 exercise = 1300 Net calories

Try adding calorie dense foods during the day ........nuts, nut butters, olive oil, seeds, avocado.....healthy fats. These have small portion sizes.
  • CharBoneO
    Options

Um no...............MFP didn't include any exercise.....it just included activity level. You have to log exercise before get any credit. Your NET calories are those you eat.

Try adding calorie dense foods during the day ........nuts, nut butters, olive oil, seeds, avocado.....healthy fats. These have small portion sizes.

I find this super hard though, Thursday nights I play basketball (a couple full court games) for around 90 minutes, that's over 1000 calories by MFP calculations and I just am not hungry at all after basketball. Last week I tried to slam down as much mashed potatoes from a box and chicken breast as I could but I just don't have the desire to eat all that.
  • TeaBea
    Options

I find this super hard though, Thursday nights I play basketball (a couple full court games) for around 90 minutes, that's over 1000 calories by MFP calculations and I just am not hungry at all after basketball. Last week I tried to slam down as much mashed potatoes from a box and chicken breast as I could but I just don't have the desire to eat all that.

MFP calorie burn numbers are "generous" .... I would take a portion of those calories (say 60%) and add them to your day. You don't have to eat them directly after exercise....fuel your workout BEFORE you go. The more aggressive your weekly loss is...the more likely you are losing muscle too.

Use full fat salad dressing and add a sprinkle of almonds to your salad at lunch time...or roast veggies in olive oil. Use peanut butter as a dip for apples as a snack. These foods are calorie dense and have small portions.
  • Razzzzle
    Razzzzle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I don't like the way MFP sets you up so that you have 1500 cals for me, and then I have to eat them back if I exercise so I have just switched over to the TDEE method and lost 1.6lb (1st week just done) it have me 2227 cals per day on my activity level - you don't eat any cals back with this method as I think it has an impact on psychological side of losing weight.

Add me up on friends :)
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Poor advice. What MFP doesn't tell you is that losing 2 lbs a week for people with less than 50 lbs to lose is incredibly difficult to do, and even harder to do without losing lean body mass (which I doubt a 22 year old, basketball playing guy wants to do).

Try looking up your TDEE, OP. I don't know how tall you are, but it sounds like you're active and don't have too terribly much to lose. 1300 sounds incredibly low for a 22 year old active young man. With your TDEE, you can try subtracting 20% and eating around that to lose weight more gradually (for you, maybe only subtract 10%).

Adding in lifting will be great, as you said. Of course, make sure you discuss it all with your doctor and/or PT if you're dealing with possible procedures.

Overall, your problem needing an explanation sounds... confusing? You THINK you gain weight when tracking calories? Your "sides" look noticeable? Am I to take it that you're not actually weighing or measuring when you track calories? That might be a good thing to do in addition to eating more.

As for your appetite being suppressed--if you find you're not hungry after exercise, try eating a bit more before exercising in a day. Or use the MFP app if you can to see your average calories for a week--it's perfectly okay to eat less on one day but eat a bit more on another if you're hungrier then.
  • bekahlou75
    Options

Sorry, my bad.
  • TeaBea
    Options
    I don't like the way MFP sets you up so that you have 1500 cals for me, and then I have to eat them back if I exercise so I have just switched over to the TDEE method and lost 1.6lb (1st week just done) it have me 2227 cals per day on my activity level - you don't eat any cals back with this method as I think it has an impact on psychological side of losing weight.

Add me up on friends :)

"Technically" you do eat your exercise calories back because exercise should be included in TDEE. But you're right, it's just one number....you don't have to worry about high calorie burn Monday...rest day Tuesday.....it's all averaged out.
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    Options

Yeah, to lose 2 lbs a week I am suppose to eat 1300 calories.

2lbs a week is too aggressive of a weight loss plan. You need to try for 1lb a week. This is supposed to be a lifestyle change, you shouldn't be subjecting your body to very low calorie diets just to try to get the weight off quickly, it won't work well anyway. Just be patient. It's a marathon, not a sprint, as they say.

Take your measurements, weight, and use some body fat calipers to get a starting point. Then follow a calorie plan for several weeks. Don't just stop after a few days because you "feel" like you're gaining weight on a low calorie diet.

You should also read the book "Bigger, Leaner, Stronger" by Matthew Michaels. He will help educate you on diet and nutrition.
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    Options

How tall are you? And I'm thinking 1000 calorie is a bit of an overestimation.
  • CharBoneO
    Options

Poor advice. What MFP doesn't tell you is that losing 2 lbs a week for people with less than 50 lbs to lose is incredibly difficult to do, and even harder to do without losing lean body mass (which I doubt a 22 year old, basketball playing guy wants to do).

Try looking up your TDEE, OP. I don't know how tall you are, but it sounds like you're active and don't have too terribly much to lose. 1300 sounds incredibly low for a 22 year old active young man. With your TDEE, you can try subtracting 20% and eating around that to lose weight more gradually (for you, maybe only subtract 10%).

Adding in lifting will be great, as you said. Of course, make sure you discuss it all with your doctor and/or PT if you're dealing with possible procedures.

Overall, your problem needing an explanation sounds... confusing? You THINK you gain weight when tracking calories? Your "sides" look noticeable? Am I to take it that you're not actually weighing or measuring when you track calories? That might be a good thing to do in addition to eating more.

As for your appetite being suppressed--if you find you're not hungry after exercise, try eating a bit more before exercising in a day. Or use the MFP app if you can to see your average calories for a week--it's perfectly okay to eat less on one day but eat a bit more on another if you're hungrier then.

So I bumped that down to 1 lb a week, I am not super concerned with the time limit, I just figured go big losses or go home. I will try this for the next month and see what happens.

I know I gain weight when tracking calories, the only time I have effectively lost weight was when I started running everyday a couple miles without tracking calories but I was not losing anything but muscle and water (mostly)

I am weighing once a week, and I haven't caliper tested in a couple months but I could do that again, if I can find them. I felt they were ineffective because I noticed no changes in measurement over a 2 month period. (I only do waist tho so that may be the problem.
  • CharBoneO
    Options

How tall are you? And I'm thinking 1000 calorie is a bit of an overestimation.

Barely 5' 8", maybe 5' 9" on a good day and God want's to humor me.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Also, depends on what "Activity Level" you chose. If you choose Sedentary, then record all your exercise. If you choose Highly Active, then don't, it's already counted in.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

So I bumped that down to 1 lb a week, I am not super concerned with the time limit, I just figured go big losses or go home. I will try this for the next month and see what happens.

I know I gain weight when tracking calories, the only time I have effectively lost weight was when I started running everyday a couple miles without tracking calories but I was not losing anything but muscle and water (mostly)

I am weighing once a week, and I haven't caliper tested in a couple months but I could do that again, if I can find them. I felt they were ineffective because I noticed no changes in measurement over a 2 month period. (I only do waist tho so that may be the problem.

Definitely good you're going for a more conservative time frame. "Going big or going home" can be over a period of time--going fast and hard is exactly why so many people end up regaining weight they've lost.

Definitely track measurements outside of your waist, using both calipers and a soft tape measure if you can. Calves, thighs, chest, arms, neck, etc. All of these places can reflect changes before the waist, as the stomach is the easiest place for the body to keep fat, and is often the last place for it to go.
  • CharBoneO
    Options
    So I will not be able to lift weights because doctor ordered no WT or PT or excessive use of my left wrist until February unless I want to get a Cordozone shot into my nerve to help speed up the healing of the tiny tears in my tendon. Does anyone know a good exercise regiment specifically for not using weights but still allows toning and such? I know like push-ups and pull-ups, but I like a structured schedule so if anyone knows a good website or workout that would be awesome to throw on-top of running.

Thanks all for the helpful suggestions so far!