Worried I am losing too quickly

Options
So today is the 55th day I have logged into MFP, and as of my weigh in yesterday I have gone from 253 to 229.6. So just over 23 pounds lost thus far. I log everything and at times likely overestimate on restaurant meals. Have weighed food, ingredients at home up until the last 4 days or so (scale stopped working, thought it was a battery and apparently just broken). Drink a f ton of water.

I haven't really given up anything during these 55 days, just moderation on portion size, except for soda. I used to drink a crap ton of that, some days upwards of 1000 calories just from soda. Still eat packaged, processed junk daily. I just keep track of it all.

Only exercise thus far has been walking, average 12-15 miles per week on moderately hilly terrain at an average pace of 4MPH. I'm 6'1" so my stride is fairly long.

I haven't felt deprived, light headed or anything but I thought by now the weight loss would have slowed down a bit more. I think I will likely be down another couple of pounds this weekend.

Diary is open. Thoughts?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well you will lose a lot of weight initially as there will be a ton of water weight. After the first two weeks, your weight will probably stabilize. But looking at your diary, i will note that you need a lot more protein, probably 160 ish grams and probably a bit more calories. Based on just walking, i would put you around 2000-2100 calories and that is with a 30% reduction from your estimated TDEE. I would also consider adding resistance training (weights or body) to help with muscle retention.
  • PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it while it lasts! Ha ha ha As long as you're doing it the right way you're doing just fine! A LOT of people find that just logging their food helps them to lose the weight. If you do find that the weight slows or stops, then you may want to start adding more exercise or taking a closer look at what you're eating!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I agree it doesn't last, you get hungrier and end up eating all your calories, in my experience, or you plateau because you're not eating enough. You should really eat all your calories though, your deficit is too big some days to be healthy, IMO.
  • Michelle_dirtracer
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. At the beginning it comes off pretty easily when you are at a bigger size. The closer to your goal the harder it will be.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Hit the weights! I made the mistake of not doing that. I lost 50lbs in 6 months doing a lot of cardio and portion control on my meals (not really counting anything, just eating less) and a lot of it was muscle mass that had taken me years to build up from powerlifting. You won't gain muscle since you are on a calorie deficit, but you can preserve what you have. Since February I'm back hitting the weights hard and while my weight has dropped about 15 more lbs, my body composition is much better.
  • Pidgeywendy
    Pidgeywendy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different....yes, I agree with others that weight does indeed drop more quickly at the start - but 55 days in??? That's not really 'the start' in my opinion!

You may just lose weight quickly and easily like I do. If I cut down on carbs, and stick to my calorie allowance I lose weight very quickly...I never have a week where I don't lose. I lose between 1-4lbs a week :-)