curious for those with cheat day..

Options
Just wondering, if you have a cheat day, is it...

A) a day with no exercise and eat a treat and/or go over calories
B) a day WITH exercise and eat a treat or and/go over calories
C) a day without exercise is cheating enough

Replies

• lovinyoutwo
    lovinyoutwo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day but it's not that bad....I take a break from all workouts and I relax. I don't go over my Calories, on that day I might have a can of pop or a piece of cake but thats it.
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    hah it depends... today it was DEFINITELY (a). I did tai chi and walked a lot like always, but yeah... definitely ate a ton of chocolate tonight :P
  • CroakerNorge
    CroakerNorge Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    None of the above so much.
    I don't really deprive myself on a daily basis so I don't really have a
    reason to "cheat".

If I'm going out for a good meal, I guess that could be considered a cheat day.
    BUT, unless it's a small plate kind of place, it's rare I eat an entire plate of food. Though I'll admit,
    I get offended if I go to a restaurant that serves me a trough of food, huge
    piles of food on a plate pizz me off (I know, I'm completely irrational). That said,
    if I workout beforehad to "offset" the meal, great, if not, no big whoop.

In sum, the less heady I make this whole thing to rationalize my choices,
    the better off I am. I try to make food a non-priority in my life, I don't want to have a "relationship"
    with it, beyond, food is good, I like it, I eat it, that's about as far as it goes.
    But, it's a totally personal thing.
  • christina1109
    Options
    As long as you eat things in moderation why need a cheat day? I LOVE my ice cream and if I have the calories, I have no problem enjoying 1 serving.
  • KarenWantsABikini
    Options
    Hi Red,

I like to have one day a week where i don't count calories, I wont go crazy and eat loads of fast food. I might have a dinner that i would not normally have, ie a lamb souvlaki (kebab) for dinner. I might eat a couple of choc biscuits for afternoon tea, things like that. My theory (and its just a theory - probably far from the truth) is that you count calories all week, your body gets used to it, and your metabolism gets lazy. Throw one day of different food in there that you wouldn't normally eat and it kick starts your metabolism again.

However, exercising, i like to do each day, if i miss out, so be it, not a big deal for me, and not worried if i hit or miss.

These are my thoughts :-)

Karen
  • sallyLunn
    sallyLunn Posts: 381
    Options
    It's however you define it.

For me Cheat day is more like "cheat meal". I usually do exercise, but I have a meal that I usually don't eat during the week, like a cheeseburger or Indian food. I usually either go over on calories but I don't get hyper about it. Actually, you will find that when you develop good habits, they make your cheat days not as bad as one would think.

Other thing, I start my calories at an "active" level for that day because I am more active on the weekends + I exercise so I go into cheat day with more calories available to me.
  • havfaith
    Options
    I'm during weight watchers so I don't cheat with my points. A day without exercise is cheating enough for me and it's usually Sundays
  • precioustypeoflove
    precioustypeoflove Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    my cheat days are no workouts and maybe a glass or 2 of wine but i stay in my cals!
  • ebert5150
    ebert5150 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I take one evening a week where I go out and eat a meal without counting calories. I definitely exercise on that day and it hasn't effected my weight loss.
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day every Saturday, but I work out for at least an hour, sometimes two, and I use the exercise calories to indulge in whatever. I don't eat my exercise calories on other days.
  • amstein18
    amstein18 Posts: 131
    Options
    i have a cheat meal, not cheat day, once a week. i usually exercise that day but if not i don't sweat it! i still maintain portion control though & i either stay within my calories because i ate so clean the rest of the day or i only go over by 100 or 200 calories. i've read several different places that having a cheat meal helps keep your metabolism guessing.
  • mhcook
    mhcook Posts: 10
    Options
    Good Post! My "cheat" days usually involve food and a night off excercise. sort of recharging the batteries if you will. I will take my children out to eat and order like I used to, say a Chili Cheese burger.

I also go out to lunch once a week with a group of men, we have done this once a week for a few years, each of us take turns paying so it's like getting Free lunches for several weeks. There I order less, but still sinful food.
  • kimberk67
    Options
    I'm working on a cheat day... I havent really cheated, I just incorporate what I eat into my calorie count. Sometimes I go over, sometimes not. I have decided though that every so often I need a fatty day where I just eat whatever.
    I havent really lost much weight but my weight has shifted so I guess I'm doing okay.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    First off, I don't consider it cheating. I don't have a problem staying within my calories while still eating the foods I like, especially if I've exercised that day. I don't eat many sweets or junk food and I don't normally drink soda. I work out 5 days a week, and relax on the other two. I try to stay within my calories on one of my off days and I don't worry on the other. I eat what I want (without letting go of all self-control!) and if I go over my calories, it's no big deal. Getting an extra 100-200 calories one day a week isn't going to do that much damage.
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    A cheat day for me is a day where I eat over my cals and don't exercise enough to compensate. Usually it's only 100 calories or so.
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with CroakerNorge in this - I don't really have a 'Cheat Day' or anything as such. I am trying to come up with a lifestyle that works for me, and I have already learned that if I make something into a big deal in my mind, it is only going to mess with me.

I do occasionally take rest days in regards to working out, but I usually try to do some extra walking or something to help keep me within my caloric goals. There are meals that I enjoy, but I either work out before them, knowing I want to make them fit into my day, or work out later in the day to 'pay' for those calories. It is not a punishment, simply a sort of agreement I have made with myself to be fair. Sometimes my stomach can have the tasty things, but the muscles are going to have to help even out the treats.

Really, find what works for you. As MFP continues to show, we are all different in what works!

^_^
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    my cheats do tend to be extreme......eat/drink whatever. I usually exercise though......It is very rare that I don't get in some physical acticvity every day and if I am really prepared I'll do a major workout (like 2hours) the day of the cheat just to help compensate for what I'm going to do!! LOL

I do have small cheats though too here and there and I don't worry about those so much.
  • howardrw
    howardrw Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have a "cheat day" and that is on Sundays.
    I usually don't count my calories that day and just eat what I want, including going out to a fast food place.
    I only do this 1 time a week (Sundays), but the rest of the days I watch my food intake and exercise about 45 minutes to an 1 hour or more.
    Also I am daily under my calorie count by at least 500 to 800 calories per day except on my cheat day and I exercise 6 days a week, taking Sundays off. But I usually take a walk for about a 1 mile or more.
    I just make sure that I reset myself on Mondays so that my "cheat day" don't continue into the next day and next day until you are off the diet plan.
    That's the only problem with a "cheat day", if you are not strong enough it can take you off of your diet plan.

So everybody be strong if you do have a "cheat day".
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    My cheat day is Saturday. The only thing that remains the same is breakfast and that's because I never did breakfast before. After that, I eat when I'm hungry and eat until I'm satisfied...not stuffed. I've found that I can't eat as much as I used to do. I don't log anything for Saturdays, either.

Exercise, I take off Saturdays, as well. I've noticed that it really helps my Sunday workouts. I have so much more strength to put into versus at the end of the week.

It's just one day and it's worked for me. Do I advocate it for others? No, because you have to use trial and error to find what works for you. Those that are doing nothing but clean eating, great!! It's not for me, though. I am human; therefore, I'm allowed to make mistakes. :) I will enjoy certain foods because there's no guarantee I won't have a heart attack or stroke. There are healthy people that die of heart attacks. So, my goal is to get healthier, but not to be 100% clean. I want to live a little on the edge. :)

Good luck!!
  • fit2sit
    fit2sit Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Ohh yeah! Sunday, don't restrict, don't count and don't work out. I think I put in enough of a deficit over the week that my body doesn't know what to do with all the calories and other goodies it doesn't get during the week. Does it jump start my metabolism for the week? I don't know. But its nice to have it and I don't have to drive the wife crazy with saying "I can't eat that."