Always going over my sugar intake

Options
How bad is it to go over mfp suggested sugar intake.. even if I'm staying under my calorie limit
It's sugars from like yogurt and granola some fruits. I'm not eating a lot of cake or anything.

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Unless your diabetic I wouldn't worry.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    The search feature will give you thousands of responses.

Unless you have a medical issue, don't worry about it.
  • GreenEyedDork
    GreenEyedDork Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    oh okay thanks :D
  • Sharon7986
    Sharon7986 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Very difficult to keep under the sugar intake as so many unexpected foods contain sugar. Very strange though - Morrisons after dinner peppermint cremes showed no sugar content ( just noticed too late !!!) oops
  • 64denisej
    64denisej Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think the limit is for refined sugar. Sugar from fruit, vegies ect is O.k.
  • reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    what everyone else said. I asked the same question before myself. I had three fruits in one day and seeing that red almost killed me. There are lots of posts on here (what everyone told me) about refined vs natural sugars. FYI....I don't track sugar anymore for that very reason.
  • g68christina
    Options
    Since I accumulate my sugars through whole foods, I dont pay much mind to the sugar count. I do not go over 1 cup of fruit per day. That is the limit I set for Myself. I banana puts me just under the limit on MFP. I consulted with my dr as well. Since we are all different it wouldnt hurt for you to consult with yours.
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar, be it refined or natural. Sugar tracking is there for a reason so I would track it. Yogurt is full of refined sugar as well as granola bars.

Your liver can only process so much sugar before the excess has to be stored as fat. I believe the recommended daily amount is 50 grams a day which is more than my allowance here of 29 grams. I eat about 1400 cals a day and rarely go over. You don't need a medical condition to watch your sugar.

I had a yogurt tonight, healthy, them looked at the sugar. 30 carbs and 30 of it was sugar.!!!! Won't be having that again.

I recommend tracking it.
  • rockkf
    rockkf Posts: 1
    Options
    I am wondering this same this. One piece of fruit and yougurt puts you over.
  • ApocalypticFae
    ApocalypticFae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I would try to limit the sugary yogurt and granola. Some of them have surprisingly high amounts of added sugar. But don't worry about the sugar from fruit. Some say that "sugar is sugar", despite the source, but it's not quite that simple.

If yogurt is a favorite snack for you, you can try getting low-sugar Greek yogurt and mixing in a little stevia and berries.
  • cj2k2006
    cj2k2006 Posts: 9
    Options
    people have the misconception that 'ohh i'm not allowed bad stuff so i'll just eat loads of fruit cause its good sugar' i don't agree with this at all sugar is sugar at the end of the day....
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar, be it refined or natural. Sugar tracking is there for a reason so I would track it. Yogurt is full of refined sugar as well as granola bars.

Your liver can only process so much sugar before the excess has to be stored as fat. I believe the recommended daily amount is 50 grams a day which is more than my allowance here of 29 grams. I eat about 1400 cals a day and rarely go over. You don't need a medical condition to watch your sugar.

I had a yogurt tonight, healthy, them looked at the sugar. 30 carbs and 30 of it was sugar.!!!! Won't be having that again.

I recommend tracking it.

Yes, sugar is sugar .. but natural sugar is not processed by the body as quickly due to the other nutrients within the food.

The second part of your comment is false.

Excess sugar will only be stored as fat if it causes you to go above your TDEE. If in a deficit excess sugar caused you to gain weight I'd be huge (and all my sugar comes from fruits). Sugar is not the enemy as people seem to assume it is. Avoid/limit refined/added sugars but don't worry about natural sugars. The limit here is for added/refined sugar, not natural sugar however when logging you can't separate them.
  • traneshaph
    traneshaph Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I totally agree.