LADIES: Almost to my weight loss goal..lifting weights now?

Options
Hi fellow MFP'ers. I need some advice. I am getting close to my weight loss goal and I would like to start toning up and possibly lifting weights, but I need some help. Where is a good place to start? How did everyone start here? Any before and after pics and advice? It would all be greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• HanneeNz
    HanneeNz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would love to hear what is said too! I'm getting close to my goal weight and really keen to start lifting but I have no idea where to start. Looking forward to seeing some posts.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Start now and lift heavy! I prefer free weights, myself. Everything I do is with the barbell. I've been lifting for about 4 months and love it. Look into strong lifts 5x5 or new rules of lifting for women. Good luck :D
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts.
    And there are plenty of before/after pics on the message boards. Just use the search button. There were plenty of awesome before/afters to convince me that was the way to go.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I lifted in high school so when I got back into it, I already knew where to start, but when I walk into the base gym, I can only guess at what half the machines do.

The Stronglifts are good. If you're at home with no equipment, there are a lot of body weight lift videos you can find online. If you can't get a spotter, try the machines.

Otherwise, listen to your body, try not to neglect any major muscle groups, and eat more protein. You will get sore.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I've been working with weights all along my weight loss journey, mainly because the last thing I wanted to do was to lose lean muscle mass.

If you want some good places to start, try the New Rules series by Lou Schuller and Alwyn Cosgrove, or check out Nerd Fitness. You can even start with bodyweight exercises - doing push up/jump squat ladders will really kick your butt.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'd start with MFP's search function.

Try a term like "toning".
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    new rules of lifting for women, and starting strength
  • Ashley121205
    Ashley121205 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I love ChaLEAN Extreme.
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Check out bodybuilding.com

They have lots of different programs to choose from based on your goals.

Right now, I'm doing Jamie Eason's Live Fit 12 week program. As I, like you, am almost to my goal and felt that I needed to kick the weight training up a notch. I am in week 5 and am seeing great results!
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I started reading NROLFW and had a couple of sessions with a trainer just to work on form - particularly as I have a bad knee. I read up a little on here and worked out myself a little strength programme that seems to work for me. I don't much like cardio but I love lifting!

Good luck with it!!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Start now, and lift heavy (heavy for you, 6-8 reps or less)

Look into well known programs such as Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting strength. Focus on compound lifts, as they build greater overall strength and work more muscle groups than single isolation exercises :)

Enjoy! Lifting is awesome!
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    When i first started i used New Rules of Lifting. It's a good program if you're a complete beginner. Also, don't wait. Start yesterday.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Free weights
    Lift heavy
    Compound lifts
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I was really unsure where to begin for months, and then I finally bought a copy of New Rules of Lifting for Women. I'm a week and a half into the program and loving it...highly recommended for lifting newbies :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Start right now.

Ideally, start months or even years ago...

...but absent a time machine*, just start right now.

* if time machine becomes a viable option, but you have limited use, don't waste it on this. Use it for something far more awesome. But still, start right now.
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Start lifting now. Try using new rules of lifting for women. Good Luck!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Start right now.

Ideally, start months or even years ago...

...but absent a time machine*, just start right now.

* if time machine becomes a viable option, but you have limited use, don't waste it on this. Use it for something far more awesome. But still, start right now.

But dude....If I go back in time, lose weight and get swole, will I create a new reality? Or two divergent realities with me being swole in one and soggy in the other?
  • I love ChaLEAN Extreme.

My workout mixed with cardio! I love it.