Specific, advanced, heavy strength training routine

Options
Hi everyone,
I am looking for an advanced, heavy strength training routine (woman), I am a former personal trainer and understand weight lifting, however, I have found when I write up my own routine I tend to always want to do more than what I write down (or change it mid way through a workout). Its like "Gym ADD" and I get overwhelmed from everything I want to be doing!

I simply think I would prefer to follow a plan for awhile- a plan that one of you lovely MFPs are currently following and have seen results from.

Links to the plan would be preferred. 3 or 4 day split or full body.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Natalie

Replies

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    This is what I plan on starting, probably after the new year:

http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html

Sorry it's not directly linked.....read ALL THE WAY DOWN the page to see the program (the rest of it is explaining the program).
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    You won't follow your own plan but you'll follow someone else's?
  • NatalieBrooke88
    NatalieBrooke88 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Johnny,
    As explained, I am looking to try something else out. And decided to reach out to the community for suggestions.

If you have a program you would like to share feel free to post as it will be appreciated. Otherwise, there is no point in this conversation.
  • NatalieBrooke88
    Options
    Thank You!!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    All the cool kids are doing Wendler's 5/3/1. Pretty much can be adapted to any level of lifting but generally used by intermediate+ lifters.
  • spinedocmfp
    spinedocmfp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    check out muscleandstrength.com, they have tons of well designed work outs.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    bodybuilding.com has a ton of them also.
  • AbdicoVeritas
    Options
    If you're really advanced periodisation is a must and I'd definitely go for a scheme designed by an experienced coach.
    Most properly strong guys I know do Wendler's 5/3/1 (as mentioned before) often with the Big But Boring template.
    Also heard good things abut the westside barbell workout.
    What are your current stats like on the big 4?
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for something different PHAT (Power Hypertrophy Adaptive Training) or GVT(German Volume Training) are a couple of options. No links, but you can find info on them via Google :smile:
  • loricshields47
    loricshields47 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I do a personalized workout. 4 days a week 1-2 body parts. I change it every 4 weeks. I bore easily and well it can't hurt. I can send you the current scheduale a little later if you would like. It's out in our home gym,(aka the barn lol) but will bring it in after my workout today. if interested let me know
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    As a personal trainer, you by now probably realized you left out a very important piece of information:

What are your goals?

You described the type of routine you are looking for, but what are you looking to accomplish?

If you're looking to increase your strength, but not your size, I would suggest Power to the People (book). It's a daily program, but only two sets of two exercises that takes about 20 minutes to complete (plenty of rest in this program). "Wiry strength" as one practitioner put it. Focuses on muscle tension as opposed to muscle size for increasing strength.

Strength with size, a basic 5x5 program popularized by Reg Park back in the 50s. 5 sets of 5 reps. Some take the program a bit further and limit the exercises to 5, making it 5x5x5. Get a lot of rest and eat like a teenager.

Beyond Bodybuilding (book) has a ton of routines for different purposes.
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I appreciate reading everyone's input. Will borrow ...
  • osothefinn
    osothefinn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Based on another thread, I'll have to throw out vacuuming and scrubbing walls. It's science! :laugh:
  • NatalieBrooke88
    Options
    You guys rock! Thank you! :)
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Look, you asked for a specific program. It was already mentioned, but instead of looking around at various websites, pick up a copy of Wendler's 5/3/1.

It's a rock solid, "keep it simple stupid" program that has specific planned lifts, along with a final AMRAP set to give you an outlet for setting new PRs and getting in your volume if your so inclined.

It is focused entirely on strength, with an emphasis on starting light, incrementing slowly, and hitting PRs. All focused on the big 4, bench, press, squat, and deads. Open to varied assistance work.

Here's a thread in the powerlifting group that we use to talk about it. Chime in and let us know if you have any questions.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1056132-5-3-1-support-thread
  • sluggz
    sluggz Posts: 134
    Options
    Look, you asked for a specific program. It was already mentioned, but instead of looking around at various websites, pick up a copy of Wendler's 5/3/1.

It's a rock solid, "keep it simple stupid" program that has specific planned lifts, along with a final AMRAP set to give you an outlet for setting new PRs and getting in your volume if your so inclined.

It is focused entirely on strength, with an emphasis on starting light, incrementing slowly, and hitting PRs. All focused on the big 4, bench, press, squat, and deads. Open to varied assistance work.

Here's a thread in the powerlifting group that we use to talk about it. Chime in and let us know if you have any questions.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1056132-5-3-1-support-thread

^this^
  • mikemc620
    mikemc620 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    THIS ^^

I have been following 5/3/1 for the past year and have seen significant strength improvements in all of my lifts following the BBB template.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Another vote for 5/3/1... been following for 9 months. Good program.

Need to define your goals first though....
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    If you want more hypertrophy based stuff, just do the Boring But Big Template, and/or mix in your own hypertrophy stuff later. Strength should always been the basis of a routine though, for obvious reasons...
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Replying so I can remember this for later...Thanks for all the input!