FOODS THAT ARE NOT EASILY MEASURABLE?

Options
So I go to a coffee shop in the mornings.

I get a veggie sausage breakfast burrito (handmade there in store). I get a iced coffee sometimes.

Sometimes I switch out the burrito for a bagel with veggie cream chese.

---

I asked if any of they have nutritional info on any of these - they just laughed.

What is the best way to log these items?

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    You could take one home, break it down, and calculate it that way. But even then expect it to be off by +/- 20% or greater.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Guestimate, and go on the heavier handed side. Look at the calorie counts at other places that have the nutritional information available and estimate from there.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I would contact either the store manager or if it's a chain - a corporate office. Whoever orders the food should have the nutrition information. Or, like whierd said, break it apart. Use standard measurements. you will likely still be off but something is better than nothing. look online for nutrition info for like items and log accordingly.
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    I would contact either the store manager or if it's a chain - a corporate office. Whoever orders the food should have the nutrition information. Or, like whierd said, break it apart. Use standard measurements. you will likely still be off but something is better than nothing. look online for nutrition info for like items and log accordingly.

It will not be accurate from the store one member of staff may be generous with spread, filling while the one using MFP or WW may be mean thinking about the calories so from day to day there could be 20% difference in the same item depending who serves you. Guess or look for someone elses guess in the database.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

It will not be accurate from the store one member of staff may be generous with spread, filling while the one using MFP or WW may be mean thinking about the calories so from day to day there could be 20% difference in the same item depending who serves you. Guess or look for someone elses guess in the database.

You are thinking the same thing as me. Even if you break it down and get a fairly accurate estimate, chances are the portion ratios could be different each time. At best he can get a rough estimate.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Maybe ask the manager for the recipe :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You can just guesstimate everything. It's what I do. Just estimate on the higher side. Even when you buy something packaged with calories, it's always an estimation anyway.
  • selfepidemic1
    selfepidemic1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I guestimate and then add another 30%. As we usually underestimate by quite a large portion, so its far easier to overshoot than f.u.c.k. up entirely!
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Bagels and cream cheese are pretty standard. Yes there will be some difference in the amount of cream cheese you get, but I would just use an entry for the same flavors from Panera or Einstein.

As far as the breakfast burrito goes, your options are guesstimate, take it apart for a more accurate guesstimate, or eat breakfast at home or at a chain. Sorry there isn't a better answer, but it shouldn't be a roadblock to your success if you are realistic about the amounts of each ingredient.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Guestimate, and go on the heavier handed side. Look at the calorie counts at other places that have the nutritional information available and estimate from there.

That's what I do.
  • XTSH
    XTSH Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I try to find the recipe online for the ingredients and calculate the calories from there. Probably need to add 10-20% to the total.
  • leadiax3
    leadiax3 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I believe estimating is best when ur out n having a yummy treat. Do not obsess over perfection in counting restaurant foods. It will never be 100% accuratevanyhow. Enjoy ur healthy low carb burrito.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I guess the only way you'll know your breakfast calorie count with any kind of accuracy is to break the habit of going to the coffee shop.
  • Sandigesha
    Sandigesha Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Best way is not to eat out. Even if you happen to find nutritional information, it will differ 100-500cals like if it's nothing. But it is a lot. So, eat at home, things weighted out that you know for sure.
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    Guess. If you're off but 500 calories, its a big deal for a day... but not much of a deal once you realize that you arent losing weight for a day, but being smarter about your food for a lifetime.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I don't eat out that often, so when I eat in smaller places that don't have calorie counts, I estimate or don't bother logging. The better option is to make a habit of eating at home and treat yourself to breakfast occasionally because you'll save calories and money. :)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I guess the only way you'll know your breakfast calorie count with any kind of accuracy is to break the habit of going to the coffee shop.

This. You could do so much better for breakfast with way fewer calories by just eating at home plus have some cash in your wallet.

My little rant: I think the biggest reason North Americans are an obese society is our addiction to eating anywhere but at home.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Couple of ideas...

1. Break it down and add in the items yourself - slightly overestimate each ingredient for a more accuracy
    2. Find something similar in the database
    3. Company website/nutrition info - or is it a small local place?
  • afat12
    afat12 Posts: 178 Member
    Options

That's what I do-- I always overestimate. You could also compare to something similar from another restaurant.

Edit: I mean a similar restaurant that has nutritional info available.