Kids & Protein Shakes

Options
Thought I'd ask what you all thought. My 11 year old son really likes my protein shakes...I use Syntha 6 Choc. Peanut Butter. Do you see a problem with letting him have them?

Replies

• sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I would probably ask a pediatrician about it.
  • Ravyn1982
    Ravyn1982 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem with it but you should ask a peditrician to be sure. Let me know cause my kids like them too.
  • nimik
    nimik Posts: 10
    Options
    I think I will ask the peditrician. I usually make a shake and we split it and that seems to satisfy him. Just seems to be a good answer for fullfilling his sweet tooth right now. *I did do a quick search on the net and it seems to be 50/50 on being ok and not being ok.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I think I will ask the peditrician. I usually make a shake and we split it and that seems to satisfy him. Just seems to be a good answer for fullfilling his sweet tooth right now. *I did do a quick search on the net and it seems to be 50/50 on being ok and not being ok.

We let my daughter taste Myoplex and she loved it. I won't give it to her though, because I worry about the amount of protein and what affect that would have on her liver.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I would worry about the "Acesulfame Potassium"
    Potassium being "K" and Acesulfame K being banned in Canada (if I remember correctly) as being cacinogenic.

But it's a sweetner and in a lot of stuff :/
  • zcostilla
    zcostilla Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Typically, you don't want to exceed 1 gram per 10 lbs body weight in a serving unless you are doing some heavy weightlifting. I go half that for only cardio. It's worth asking a pediatrician, but if you go light, I doubt therre would be a problem. Better than doritos or a twinkie!
  • rstring
    rstring Posts: 35
    Options
    If you are worried about artificial sweeteners in protein shakes. Qivana shakes use Stevia, which is a natural sugar.