How many calories am I burning??

Options
When calculating how many calories I've burned for exercising, what's the best way to do so? When I use the elliptical it says one amount, myFitnessPal says another & CardioTrainer(app) says a different amount. I'm just trying to track the correct amount so I can following this plan 100% and not cheat myself.

Thanks for your help!!

Jen

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    How long are you on the elliptical?

How far can you jog in the same amount of time?
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Buy a HRM (heart rate monitor)

I have the Polar FT4, it takes your age, weight, height and gender. You have a watch with your data on, and you get a chest strap with a transmitter on it to strap to your chest. Based on the stats you put into it, it gives you a very accurate reading on the calories you burn.
  • JenFrogLover
    JenFrogLover Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm on the elliptical for 30 minutes. And I have no idea how far I can jog in that amount.
  • _EndGame_
    Options
    Also, just to add, if you use MFP to estimate your calorie burn, it grossly overestimates, so if you're one of the people who likes to eat their exercise calories back, this can be a problem.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    the machines are waaay high. not at all accurate in my experience. i honestly find the MFP calorie burn fairly accurate.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Also, just to add, if you use MFP to estimate your calorie burn, it grossly overestimates, so if you're one of the people who likes to eat their exercise calories back, this can be a problem.

lol. conflicting opinions abound.
  • spersephone
    spersephone Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Decide what you will use, and stick with it. The estimates are often wrong as already stated, but if you don't want an HRM, decide what you're using, and perhaps adjust it for accuracy. Maybe take 80% of the figure, but be consistent and do that each time.

Even a heart rate monitor is still an estimate based on your data, but it's closer than an estimate that doesn't take into account your weight, height, age, sex and heart rate over the course of the activity.
  • _EndGame_
    Options

lol. conflicting opinions abound.

Lol. I decided on a HRM, due to people telling me MFP overestimated, so I spent £50 on a Polar HRM (about $75) and after using it, I noticed BIG differences.

Like with swimming for example. I usually do between 60 - 90 minutes in the swimming pool. My HRM will give me a reading of between 650 - 950, depending on how hard I go. MFP estimates it at 1300+! So to be on the safe side, I go with my HRM, as I do often eat back a lot of my exercise calories!
  • michellechawner
    Options
    i didn't lose weight for a while and i learned MFP was overestimating my exercise - i got a fitbit and that's when I realized how over estimated the exercise burns were. Then the weight started coming off again easily after that.
  • emjay6x3
    emjay6x3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My HRM usually says I burn way more than any of my other trackers do, including MFP. Worries me a little bit...
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I'd use the lowest reading. Then I'd get a HRM.
  • spersephone
    spersephone Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    There are also good and bad HRMs out there. The ones with a chest strap are definitely better than the ones that you stop and take your heart rate periodically.
  • _EndGame_
    Options
    i didn't lose weight for a while and i learned MFP was overestimating my exercise - i got a fitbit and that's when I realized how over estimated the exercise burns were. Then the weight started coming off again easily after that.

I have a Fitbit as well. The Fitbit One, and where I did find it useful as a pedometer, I realised it didn't track BPM or the intensity of how the steps were obtained! So in the end, all I found it to be was a glorified pedometer! But, it did give a more accurate calorie burn reading than MFP!
  • KellyWright58
    KellyWright58 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    MFP, cardio machines, etc are all estimates. Every person is going to have a different calorie burn with each workout or anything. I could do the same workout every day and I would get different burns each day.

If you're wanting a good number to go with then I highly recommend getting a heart rate monitor, preferably with a chest strap.
    I have a Polar FT4 from amazon ($60) and it is everything that I need. It gives me calories burned and also considers my age, sex, height, & weight. They have other brands cheaper at walmart if you aren't ready to invest that much yet.

I love having one because I can create my own exercises on here and put in my own info for my exercise diary. It's also a good motivator because it helps me keep my heart rate in a good range and it sometimes encourages me to workout a little longer if I'm unhappy with the calorie burn.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Get an HRM
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    The eliptical is going to account for all aspects of your workout. Pressure exerted, speed, ect. So for the most accurate go with the reading on the eliptical.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
  • FirecrackerJess
    FirecrackerJess Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You should take a look at my HRM blog post. I was having the same issue, not really knowing and having to go by the machines at the gym, thinking since they have HR sensors and I can input my weight they would be somewhat close to being accurate. Nope. When I got my HRM since I was not losing nothing, I realized one 60 min elliptical workout according to the machine was around 650-750 depending on how hard I pushed. HR monitor, my Polar FT7 said about 350is. HUGE difference.
  • JenFrogLover
    JenFrogLover Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Great advice! Thanks everyone :happy: :bigsmile:
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options

If you put anything other than sedentary in and then count your activity and exercise you are counting it twice. Most people don't get that. If you work as a waitress and put Active in your setup then use a you a fitbit and count your steps you are entering your activity twice.

( That is if you enter the steps in manually. I am not sure if it is synced if it corrects the calories burned and allows for the adjustment)