Binge Eating Officially Classified as an Eating Disorder

Options
2»

Replies

• Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I underwent treatment, and feel I'm cured. I can emote normally, and don't rely on binging and crazy chemical imbalances to prevent or deal with emotions. My statement was only to suggest that insurance companies have recognized it and cover treatment and counseling.

If I may ask, what sort of treatment did you go through? How intensive was it? I would really love to have a healthier relationship with food and any information on this would be welcome.
  • kirstenmaria
    kirstenmaria Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I underwent treatment, and feel I'm cured. I can emote normally, and don't rely on binging and crazy chemical imbalances to prevent or deal with emotions. My statement was only to suggest that insurance companies have recognized it and cover treatment and counseling.

If I may ask, what sort of treatment did you go through? How intensive was it? I would really love to have a healthier relationship with food and any information on this would be welcome.

I had counseling for an hour once a week where I learned coping mechanisms to help with binge cravings and emotions, etc, at an eating disorders clinic. Treatment is almost the same as bulimia or anorexia. I was simultaneously treated for mild depression once a month, and saw a nutritionist in the same center every so often (less than once a month). This whole process also helped me learn that I have Attention Deficit Disorder that appears to have late onset or worsened into adulthood. A year ago I went to another clinic for help with the ADD (as a grad student), and was told by my intake counselor he thinks there is a correlation between ADD and eating disorders. I don't know if he ever researched that statement or not.

Edit: This lasted about 1.5 to 2 years in high school. Stress is a trigger for me.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    That is very interesting; I have been seeing a therapist for years and she suggested at one point that I showed tendencies of adult ADD, but I was never officially diagnosed. I wonder if it has to do with latching onto something to focus on instead of having scattered thoughts? Anyway thanks for the reply.
  • yourfitnessenemy
    yourfitnessenemy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Food "addiction."

Eating to ridiculous excess classified as an eating "disorder."

Let's see...how many more ways can society find to minimize accountability for overeaters?

Ugh. Go actually learn something about Binge Eating Disorder (if you don't want to wade through a lot of data, even YouTube is a place to start). People are known to binge upwards of 5,000 cal per meal to the point where they will go to jail for stealing food, go bankrupt, etc. Not the same as just over-eating.

I'm not sure it matters that it was separated from ED-NOS; it's essentially the same disorder as bulimia without the compensation for weight loss by vomiting, laxatives, etc (people tend to define bulimia by "vomiting" but binging is an essential component of that dx).
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    This seems to make sense. Any behaviour which puts people's health at a high risk is, of itself, symptomatic of some kind of disordered thinking. Whether it's a person overeating, a community who abuse drugs or a country sending it's youngsters abroad armed with guns, tanks and bombs. Just my opinion.
  • wowgirl30
    wowgirl30 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think it is a good thing - it opens the doors to treatment options and awareness. The word "Binge" gets thrown around a lot here on MFP. The vast majority of times the person using it means that they simply overate so you will have people saying it is an excuse or not a big deal and not understand what the issue is. Binge eating disorder is completely different than overeating and has less to do with loving food and more about destructive coping or self harming behaviors. There is a HUGE amount of shame and secrecy that goes along with it and because of this confusion between overeating and bingeing, sufferers are looked down on and don't get the help they need for a serious mental health problem (I think a psychological issue that causes physical danger is serious - some people are literally eating themselves to death).