i think im gonna give up

Options
this entire week was so frustrating, especially with my eating habbits. I was doing fine then i weighed myself this morning and saw i gained 1.5 pounds in 5 days :( to top it off ive been going over my givin calorie limit by 500-600. (MFP states in order for me to loose 1 pound a week i need to eat 1200. its so hard, because i feel hungry all the time. I am 5'0 exactly, 129 lbs and would love to be 120 and a flat belly (mine looks like im preggers lol) what can i do?

Replies

• khadijak17
    khadijak17 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    sorry to hear your having a hard time but in order for this to work you are going to have to keep within your calories, going over everyday will not let you lose weight.
    I think you should have a look at your tdee and bmr before eating what mfp gives you and find the right balance.
    Being so close to goal means you should lose at a slower rate which is healthier, you could also start toning, good luck with your journey but do not give up :)
  • selfepidemic1
    selfepidemic1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    1.5lbs? Hah, I could gain that eating a burger. Thats nothing, and you shouldn't worry about it. We all have bad days!
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    If you're so close to your goal weight the best thing would be to eat at a small deficit and follow a solid lifting and cardio program.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Eat more food. 1200 calories is not enough.

Check out this group ... it will do you good.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Since you only have 9lbs left to lose, you might want to change your weekly goal to .5lbs a week instead of 1lb.

It's very important to keep a very small deficit while you're losing those last few pounds. The extra 250 calorie wiggle room may even ease your hunger so you can stick to the goal.

I know .5lbs sounds sucky, but it's better than missing your goal every day and failing every week.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You have very little to lose so set for goals to half a pound a week and eat the exercise calories back outs will be slower but more sustainable and you won't be as hungry
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    don't give up, if you really want to get to GW. Just make a few small changes. Eat at TDEE - a %age. Stay positive. Stay within calories. Drink water. Move. and tick off mini goals, don't just focus on the ultimate one.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    sorry to hear your having a hard time but in order for this to work you are going to have to keep within your calories, going over everyday will not let you lose weight.
    I think you should have a look at your tdee and bmr before eating what mfp gives you and find the right balance.
    Good luck :)

this is good advice.

1200 is just a baseline they tend to throw out there.

do you exercise?

go here: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

calculate your TDEE and start there. you will lose if you eat less than that (many people, myself included, eat 75-80% of TDEE for healthy weight loss).

EDIT: so i just ran your numbers and your TDEE with no exercise is ~1650. 80% of that is 1320.
    if you are trying to eat 1200, but going over by 600...thats 1800 cals. this puts you over your tdee.
    are you tracking everything? (an i mean EVERYTHING)
    sounds to me like you really just need to stick to the ~1300 mark for awhile.
  • Islandready1968
    Islandready1968 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Shake it off and hit your reset button...you are not alone....take a deep breath and let's do some jumping jacks ; )
  • DianneP6772
    DianneP6772 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising any? Some days i am just starving and i know it sounds nuts, but when i am - i do some type of exercise for sure.
    I usually do anyway, but on those days that i am so hungry - i do something extra - and that gives me more calories to eat back. For me, it works, but just like selfepidemic said - i could also gain that if i ate a burger one night! In fact - two weeks ago - i did - and it took a couple of days for it to come back down. Yes, your weight will fluctuate, but as long as you see a generally downward trend,
    don't sweat it!

Keep at it ----don't give up - that would be totally frustrating to you! Keep going - you can do it!
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    It looks like you just joined this month. Do not quit so quickly! Who knows, maybe you ate something salty and are retaining water... certainly do not give up on your goals in less than a month! One of my friends' friends just logged in for her 800th day in a row... you had better believe she didn't quit within a month!

Hang in there, you can do this.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft and I started at 128 and I hate to tell you but 1lbs a week isn't going to work as a setting, because we are already quite small. I assume you also chose sedentary.

If I were you (and I feel like I was you 9lbs ago), I would set myself at 1/2lbs projected loss and adjust your activity factor to lightly active. Add some extra activity to your day, and no I don't mean killing yourself in the gym, but parking the car further away and take the stairs and little stuff like that.

Also be aware that coming up to your TOM sometimes messes with your hunger and you do go over and gain a bit of water weight.

Good luck :-)
  • jbolainho88
    Options
    thanks everyone! ill push a little harder :)
  • skinnymeinthere
    skinnymeinthere Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    some of us have over 100 to lose. now that is discouraging!!! don't give up on just nine.
  • skinnymeinthere
    skinnymeinthere Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I a
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Eat more food. 1200 calories is not enough.

Check out this group ... it will do you good.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

She doesn't need to eat more to weight less. This advice is generally poor for people who should actually be cutting. If you read her post, then you'd know she isn't eating 1200, but is eating 1700-1800. Eating more than 1700-1800 for a 5 foot tall, 129-lbs girl trying to lose weight from a calorie deficit sounds like disaster.

For starters, 1.5 lbs in a week is well within normal fluctuations, and shouldn't cause concern. Find your TDEE and cut by a small deficit, then keep tight track of it to make sure it's correct. Log EVERYTHING accurately to make sure your calorie count isn't actually over TDEE.

Most importantly, start doing strength and core exercise to tighten up your muscle. You're complaining of a "pregnant" look, but you're so close to your goal weight that it'll be muscle toning that will really do wonders for your look now.

Good luck and don't quit! And certainly don't go eating more until you figure out what your TDEE - whatever % is.
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I put your info into the Scooby Calorie Calculator. For someone your weight, height, and age with a goal of cutting 10% calories, your TDEE is 1449 with a desk job and little exercise, with a recommended diet of 1304 calories a day. This is for the average person and can vary by a few hundred depending on multiple factors, so you need to figure out how close you are to it. Only if you do 5-6 hours of strenuous exercise a week do they recommend eating close to what you're eating at 1875 calories.

So if you get little exercise, you may need to cut.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Well, the good news is you know exactly what the problem is. You ate 500-600 calories over your budget, and you gained exactly the amount of weight you should have based on that excess.

So it's either cut the calories, or it's add exercise to create a deficit.

Knowing you have it dialled in is half the battle - many on MFP never even get that far - so you're closer than you think! :smile:
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    ^I agree that going up to 1700 for your height sounds unreasonable. Adding 100 or 200kcal can make a huge difference- aside from making healthier choices and focusing on protein for more filling food.
  • kw1452
    kw1452 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Strength Train. If you want to lose that belly, weight lifting seems to be the best advice out there. I'm trying to find motivation to get off my couch and actually follow that advice lol.

And if you work out nice and hard, dont be afraid to eat alittle more, because your muscles will use that fuel. You probably don't need to lose weight at all - you just need to reshape your body and turn fat into muscle. Dieting is important when you have alot to lose. But you aren't in that category - you just need to lose from a trouble spot which means you need to tone up and burn fat.

I have tons of trouble getting off the couch, and I rely more on diet too, but we both need to find motivation to hit a gym or do some pushups at least 3 times a week.