Greek yogurt. Inhibits weight loss?

Options
Hiya,

I read an article by a Hollywood nutritionist (Kimberly Snyder) saying that Greek yogurt inhibits weight loss because cows milk can clog up digestion and our bodies 'can't efficiently digest dairy because we stop creating adequate levels of lactase, the enzyme necessary to break down the sugars in milk, early on'.

I'm slightly confused at this as I know and live the fact that Greek yogurt is a great protein source. I rely on it quite a bit to help keep my protein levels up. I love the stuff...I eat the Fage 0% at breakfast and after dinner.

Anyone want to expand on this article as I am already having a hard time losing the last few pounds and am concerned this could be a factor to consider. I've had intolerance tests in the past and it's never highlighted dairy to be a problem.

By the way....this will annoy a few...she suggested only one meal per day should contain a protein source?!

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Serious?? Youre kidding me right...hahahaha jokes on you. Get my heart rate up as a little chuckle. Serious...serious???

California has no licensure requirements for nutritionists. ANYONE can claim to have extensive knowledge in Cali and say it's little green men making you fat. A little greek yogurt, which by the way the fermentation in yogurt making breaks down lactose, does not stall weight loss. Oy vey. I wonder how much she makes a year?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    eddiemurphyyesnodapprov-1.gif
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Ignore "Hollywood nutritionists' as they are obviously full of doggy doodoo.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    I stopped reading at "Hollywood".
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Just ignore them
  • MyLuvMaya
    MyLuvMaya Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I eat greek yogurt almost daily and I have lost 86 lbs. It keeps me full and satisfied for hours.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Gimmick, BS, nonsense ... I'm sure she'll be on an upcoming episode of Dr. Oz ...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    By the way....this will annoy a few...she suggested only one meal per day should contain a protein source?!

This alone should tell you all you need to know about this "nutritionist".
    Suggest you file this article under "cobblers".
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Don't shoot the messenger!! I just thought I'd query this as I have heard the whole dairy thing before!

I bloody love the stuff so I'm glad it's a load of rubbish!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options

This alone should tell you all you need to know about this "nutritionist".
    Suggest you file this article under "cobblers".

I read it and though really...she tried to say you get it all from nuts and veg etc. I agree but she suggested 100g of nuts?! How much fat is there instead, regardless of it being 'good' fats!!
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Hollywood nutritionist = oxymoron.
  • PeaceHappinessBalance
    Options
    I doubt it's true but why don't you stop eating it for a while and see if it does anything for you. I personally hate it (I wish I liked it).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could link the article?

it sounds like hogwash, but I'd like to see the actual article.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Piffle. To both the yoghurt and protein claim. What a load of rubbish.

In my opinion, not picking on you OP.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    eddiemurphyyesnodapprov-1.gif

bahahaha!!! love it!!!
  • OriginalKatie
    OriginalKatie Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    That's BS. You will know if you can't digest dairy because you will get symptoms such as bloating, cramps, diarrhea. Some people are lactose intolerant but not everybody!
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    From what you've said about the contents of this article, it sounds as though this woman (so called "nutritionist") wants to scare everyone into being vegan ...
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Just googled Kimberly Snyder and she has a web site. Part of it is her blog, which you have to register in order to read (it's free, but you have to put in an email address, probably so you can get lots of junk email).

She also promotes her Beauty Detox Green Smoothy.

That's about all I need to read…

So, keep eating your Greek Yogurt (I love mine! You can pry it from my cold dead fingers, lol) and eat your protein throughout the day :wink:
  • markink81
    markink81 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You aren't going to take away my Fage...I eat it every morning and I have lost 67 lbs. Some folks just shouldn't be in the health and nutrition industry.