Burning 1,000 calories on bike everyday now, eating help!!!

Options
I am very happy with the endurance on working out now. I just started doing 85 mintues a day now on the bike burning about 1,000 calories a day.

I am eating 1,200 base calories. I don't always add in the extra 1,000 calories a day I burn. That would mean I need to eat 2,200 calories a day right???

I want to be healthy but I want to be aggressive. I have finally hit bottom and I am determined to take it off this time. I have lost 8.4 pounds so far in 23 days. I have lost ALOT of inches too.

My question is: What if I don't eat the 2,200 calories everyday? What would be healthy?

Help. Please I just don't feel great eating that many calories and eating that many calories of healthy food is ALOT of food!!!

Replies

• Flabulousss
    Options
    You could eat as few as 50% of your exercise calories, so 1700... Although if you're really burning that much I would eat more like 2200-2700. Why do you want to be aggressive? Weight loss is more about how long you stick with it.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    So, yeah. You've had problems with yo yo before right? How about this time you try a sustainable approach? You're headed straight toward another crash, binge, fail.

Pick a moderate calorie deficit. Eat to targets.
  • mtbchk
    mtbchk Posts: 22
    Options
    How are you calculating your calorie burn? I ride 45 minutes a day on the road on a 19 lb bike, and burn around 400 cals (at most) as indicated by my hrm. Unless you are riding for 85 minutes on very hilly terrain, or on a hilly, technical trail or on a 40 lb bike, 1000 cals sounds high for someone your size (you appear to be slim from your profile pic). If you are using an hrm and seeing 1000 cals, I suggest eating some of those back.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    How are you figuring that calorie burn? I ride a road bike and would need to ride for close to 4 hours to get a burn like that. Also there is really no point to doing excessive exercise and doing the same exercise everyday is counter productive. You should get off the bike and do some strength training to preserve your lean body mass.
  • jennbeck32
    Options
    I am just sick of being fat. I am 44 now and wasted too many years being fat. I want to get to my goal by my birthday in May.

I just feel like 2,200 calories is ALOT!! I do want to burn fat and not muscle and just want to hear like you said... if I eat 50% of my burn calories would that be ok? If others could let me know to confirm that, that would be great.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I am just sick of being fat. I am 44 now and wasted too many years being fat. I want to get to my goal by my birthday in May.

I just feel like 2,200 calories is ALOT!! I do want to burn fat and not muscle and just want to hear like you said... if I eat 50% of my burn calories would that be ok? If others could let me know to confirm that, that would be great.

Sure except it's highly unlikely you have 2200 calories to eat.
  • jennbeck32
    Options
    So, yeah. You've had problems with yo yo before right? How about this time you try a sustainable approach? You're headed straight toward another crash, binge, fail.

Pick a moderate calorie deficit. Eat to targets.

Actually no, I am not a YoYo dieter. I was very skinny up till 30 ... then just put it on slowly over 14 years. I was 127 pounds at 30.

I just didn't care .... now as I am older and find it hard to do things and I am concerned about my health I just am going for it. I tend to go head first at things when I decide to do it.

Stopped drinking cold turkey, stopped smoking cold turkey.. I just like to go full board when I decide to do something.:smile:
  • jennbeck32
    Options
    How are you calculating your calorie burn? I ride 45 minutes a day on the road on a 19 lb bike, and burn around 400 cals (at most) as indicated by my hrm. Unless you are riding for 85 minutes on very hilly terrain, or on a hilly, technical trail or on a 40 lb bike, 1000 cals sounds high for someone your size (you appear to be slim from your profile pic). If you are using an hrm and seeing 1000 cals, I suggest eating some of those back.

I am not slim :smile: I weigh 208 pounds right now at 5'6" but thanks ...

I ride at the gym on a stationary bike. I do level 11 and program in my age and weight . I bike for 85 minutes and pretty aggressive level and I tend to go 27 miles with my calorie burn now at 1,000.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    85 minutes of "spinning" would burn that ... You do that amount of exercise and do eat back your exercise calories, you are just setting yourself up for an epic crash and fail/burnout ...
  • jennbeck32
    Options
    85 minutes of "spinning" would burn that ... You do that amount of exercise and do eat back your exercise calories, you are just setting yourself up for an epic crash and fail/burnout ...

Gosh at least thank you for saying its possible. Everyone else doesn't think it is. I keep my heart rate at 155 - 165 for the entire 85 minutes.

Anyway.. what do you recommend??? that is why I am here. I want to know. Thanks!
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options

I am not slim :smile: I weigh 208 pounds right now at 5'6" but thanks ...

I ride at the gym on a stationary bike. I do level 11 and program in my age and weight . I bike for 85 minutes and pretty aggressive level and I tend to go 27 miles with my calorie burn now at 1,000.

Just popped in to say that's fantastic. Level 11! Well done I'm nowhere able. YET!
  • shawnp80134
    Options
    Keep doing what you like to do, work hard at it, but..... stay vigilant about how your body is feeling. You have to be self aware. You may start feeling drainded and so forth, Then you just need to re-evaluate where you are, make the neccssary changes and keep going!!! Good Luck, and stay focused.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Great surname too by the way I've just noticed!
  • jennbeck32
    Options
    Great surname too by the way I've just noticed!

short for Beckford :smile:
  • jennbeck32
    Options
    Thank you Shawn. I am really trying to do that. I eat lots of really good healthy foods and have not cheated once!!! I don't want to hurt my body but I do want to have the best success possible.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

If you go to ^ website and put in your data you can find out how much to eat based on how much you want to lose each week. I would recommend starting there. Make sure you are keeping track of what you are eating. Its not hard to eat 1600 cals each day. ! serving of nuts is almost 200 cals (just as an example).

Hope this helps!
  • unamoss
    unamoss Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Okay sister, we are almost the same person except I'm 2 inches shorter, a little older and a little heavier, lol. Glad your super motivated and into it. But don't do what I did. For the first few weeks on MFP I was hard core and stuck to 1200 calories and quickly lost 6 pounds. I stalled for two painful weeks and didn't understand what was happening. I was hungry as a bear and cranky and ready to give up.

After poking through the forums and talking to a trusted friend who had successfully lost a significant amount of weight, I upped my calories. I regained a few pounds, but now that I'm eating more I'm loosing more. I exercise and so far I eat back no more than HALF of my exercise calories cause those pesky meters (on the bike on your arm on the computer) fluxtuate so much and are way too generous in calculating what you actually burn.

I am in no way an expert nor even the most successful MFP member on the planet, but it sounds to me like you are gonna put yourself into starvation mode. It took you 14 years to gain the weight. It's not going to come off overnight. Give yourself a break and take the sustainable approach to loosing it.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    1000 cals seems quite high so I personally wouldn't eat it all back. However if it works for you then continue!
  • rileyhunter169
    Options
    It can work but honestly; drop the instant gratification on fat loss goals. Haste always leads to ruin. A better way has always been to lift heavy (talking 5x5 more or less); modest deficits; modest weight loss and you will look way better at a higher weight; you won't yo yo or burn out, you'll increase performance; and you'll get your nutrients. I would say decrease cardio by half; add a real weight training program; less of a calorie deficit... Pound and a half a week at the most. Check out Chelsealifts on youtube... She does it right.
  • jennbeck32
    Options
    Okay sister, we are almost the same person except I'm 2 inches shorter, a little older and a little heavier, lol. Glad your super motivated and into it. But don't do what I did. For the first few weeks on MFP I was hard core and stuck to 1200 calories and quickly lost 6 pounds. I stalled for two painful weeks and didn't understand what was happening. I was hungry as a bear and cranky and ready to give up.

After poking through the forums and talking to a trusted friend who had successfully lost a significant amount of weight, I upped my calories. I regained a few pounds, but now that I'm eating more I'm loosing more. I exercise and so far I eat back no more than HALF of my exercise calories cause those pesky meters (on the bike on your arm on the computer) fluxtuate so much and are way too generous in calculating what you actually burn.

I am in no way an expert nor even the most successful MFP member on the planet, but it sounds to me like you are gonna put yourself into starvation mode. It took you 14 years to gain the weight. It's not going to come off overnight. Give yourself a break and take the sustainable approach to loosing it.

I am eating back some of the calories I burn but not all. So I am not only eating the 1,200 only. Thanks for the encouragement!