South Beach

Options
After realizing how many carbs I tend to eat in one day, I have decided to start the South Beach diet. Has anyone had any success/failure with it? Any ideas? Please let me know any help is welcomed.

Replies

• Rachel_Fontenot
    Options
    I started today so want to also hear about success/failures!
  • lorabledsoe
    lorabledsoe Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've been on South Beach for awhile. I've lost 20lbs in the last 45 days and my husband has lost 40lbs in the same amount of time. However, we have stayed in a modified Phase 2. I've tried SB in the past and I always fail once I hit Phase 2 because I start eating brown rice or wheat pasta. My body just doesn't do well with that stuff. We don't eat processed foods anymore. The only carbs I eat are apples and oatmeal.
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I did South Beach about 10 years ago. It was about 6 months after my hypothyroid diagnosis. I lost 25 pounds and then got pregnant. I've tried to go back to it a few times over the years, but was never able to stick to it again.
  • cathybuck29
    cathybuck29 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the SBD for 4 weeks and am down about 8 pounds, I have 60 to lose, I'm having trouble adding back grains too, the cravings start up. So I'm doing starchy veggies like carrots and a serving of fruit a day (apple or berries, usually) and that keeps my cravings under control.

I spent years doing Weight Watchers and got absolutely nowhere, a 3 or 4 pound yo-yo. This feels like it can really work for me.
  • dkfan81
    dkfan81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been back on SBD for 1 month and I am down 15 pounds :) I've lost 4.25 inches from my waist and 2.5 inches from my hips. This is the only "diet" that works for me and I've tried so many of them.
  • emdeco
    emdeco Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well I recall about 5 or 6 years ago doing the South Beach diet and stretching my phase 1 out to three weeks. I lost 25 pounds in less than 3 months going from 163 to 138. I kept it off for a good year plus until I hit a depressing time of life, then later got married and got pregnant right away and gained a lot. Now I'm 181 and starting South Beach again (on day 2 today). The first day was really hard, I was having headaches, but I was eating a lot of sugar and carbs before the diet, in fact, it was most of what I ate.

So I'll keep you posted on how it progresses. Bottom line: it worked for me before and I felt great and looked really good. That's why I'm at it again!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    After realizing how many carbs I tend to eat in one day, I have decided to start the South Beach diet. Has anyone had any success/failure with it? Any ideas? Please let me know any help is welcomed.

Is there any particular reason why you're worried about the amount of carbs you're eating?
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I have succeeded on it.

And I have succeeded on just calorie counting.

Getting rid of carbs doesn't mean more weight loss. At first, yes because you lose a greater amount of water weight when you reduce carb amounts. However, it all evens out in the long run when it comes to actual FAT loss.
  • brock_west_houston
    Options
    I've lost over 50 lbs using the South Beach Diet. I went from 240 to the 180s, in my late 20's. I'm now 31. It's the best diet ever, because you really don't have to limit the amount of what you eat, just WHAT you eat. It's great for your heart! Yeah, you gotta give up sugar and bread for a while. You're not supposed to eat fruit for the first two weeks. I think it's worth it. I would eat every two or three hours. I would eat Chinese meat entree at the food court (which as you know is a big portion) along with two sides of vegetables (instead of rice). I'd eat it all and be starving two hours later. Sometimes at night I'd have a fried egg or two. I'd eat plenty of fresh vegetables. I'd avoid aspartame (because it makes your heart race) but I'd have a lot of sugarfree flavored water and drinks or use Splenda to sweeten things. You can be really creative with this diet...combine sour cream and sugar free syrup and you get something that tastes like cream cheese filling. Anyway, I totally recommend this diet. The best thing about it is you KEEP the weight off. I've gone on a few rather lenghty and unrestricted eating binges since the diet but have NEVER gone back above 197 lbs. I'm down to 187 and gonna try again to get to 170. When you don't have processed food and carbs and sugar running through your blood, your body uses the fats and proteins that you consume at a rapid rate. It's worked wonderfully for me.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    South Beach is one of my favorite places to go on Vacation! Bring on the sun!!

Oh wait. You weren't talking about that South Beach?

ETA: (I really have no opinion on the actual diet).