Protein Powders...which one and why?

Options
lporter229
lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
I am looking into using a protein powder for a supplement to a morning shake. Any advice on which ones to buy or not to buy? How do you use it? Also, why to you prefer the one that you use? Is it due to taste, texture, price, performance, etc? Thanks for the help!

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi

Check which brands have calories per serving closer to 4 times ( protein number in grams per serving) plus 20%. For instance, if Brand X has 20 grams of protein per serving, calories per serving should not be higher than 96. Otherwise, it has a lot of "fillers", not protein. Buyer beware.

You can choose different types of protein for your dietary needs: vegetarian, lactose free, with stevia for diabetics, etc, etc.

I use whey protein isolate, Vanilla flavor. I have chosen my brand based on "Consumer Report" recommendation.

I mix one scoop of whey protein isolate, one banana and almond milk on a blender and drink it 45 minutes prior to my workout. I also prepare another mix of whey protein isolate with water only and take it to the gym. I drink it as soon as my workout is done.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I mix in my blender a scoop of Syntrax Nectar Chocolate Truffle with a scoop of Big Train Fit Frappe Mocha and 8 ounces of skim milk. four ice cubes, and maybe 2-4 ounces of water. I get a little morning caffeine along with a lot of protein. I make this up after my shower and then drink it while I'm getting ready for the day. (A little multi-tasking.)
  • burtnyks
    burtnyks Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of Optimum Nutrition Whey, but it might be one of the more expensive brands. I believe its 120 calories per serving and 23 grams of protein or so. You can get it for decent prices online. There isn't a flavor I tried that I didn't like. If you like coffee, Mocha Cappuccino is really good. Or if you just want something you can flavor on your own Extreme Milk Chocolate and French Vanilla Cream are really good bases to add different flavors/fruits to.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Natural Chocolate is my favorite. Here's why:

1.) It's made in the USA (not China)

2.) Tested by Consumers Reports to have little to no heavy metal content in it (while some out there have a lot of heavy metals and other bad stuff in them)

3.) Natural version has no artificial sweetners (uses stevia, plant extract, etc).

4.) Tastes great and mixes well with just a spoon (tastes awesome mixed with 8oz glass of skim milk)

You can usually get a 5lb tub for $45-$50 from online stores if you catch it on sale or use one of their coupons and also get free shipping.

It has 130 calories and 24g protein per serving. It has a small amount of fats and carbs but overall its a pretty solid product for the money.

I used the regular line of ON 100% Whey (Double Rich Chocolate I think) but the artificial sweetners in it gave me headaches, so I stopped using it and switched to the natural version. No more headaches and it still tastes great.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Thank you all...very helpful info!
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Buy the cheapest container per unit weight marked "whey protein." Pick a flavor that sounds appealing to you. It will suck, but you will drink it anyway.

Buy vanilla if you plan to mix it with things. It's the most versatile of the bad flavors.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of The Organic Whey (www.theorganicwhey.com). I like it because it's USDA certified organic and has no artificial ingredients or any other ingredients/additives at all. I'm a huge fan!
  • mreimer102
    mreimer102 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love the taste of 210 Nutrition protein shakes. A lot of reviews online and very good taste. They have vanilla, choc, and strawberry. In addition, they have a page of different types of shakes to make.
    Melba