Why do I keep binging on nuts and fruit?

Options
I'm fairly active and eat around 1,400 cal an average day. Today I ate a little more since I anticipated that I'd be hungry studying for midterms tonight and to feed my weight training (I just upped them again). I thought that would prevent what is starting to be a once-a-week occurrence of binging on fruit and nuts that are supposed to be my breakfast 3 times a week. Why is this happening and how do I stop it?

I had (in my binge): 4 persimmons, 3 apples, and 810 calories in nuts and a tangerine....

If I started eating more on a regular basis will these binges go away? They make me feel so ashamed...

Replies

• richnyc
    richnyc Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What has been helping me is carrying a bottle of water everywhere I go. I've been drinking 10-12 8oz waters a day. Your body might be dehydrated and you are focusing on the nuts and fruits. Water....water...water!!! I think it will help you tremendously.
  • Lexandreia
    Options
    What has been helping me is carrying a bottle of water everywhere I go. I've been drinking 10-12 8oz waters a day. Your body might be dehydrated and you are focusing on the nuts and fruits. Water....water...water!!! I think it will help you tremendously.

I drank 4 cups before giving in tonight haha. I was just so hungry even though I upped my calorie intake today
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you're eating enough?
  • Lexandreia
    Options

I'm not really looking to lose more weight at this point even though that would be nice. I'm trying to maintain/ adding miles/ adding weights. I'd also like to be able to intuitively eat so I don't need to count calories for the rest of my life. I'm fairly good about portion sizes and all my food's really clean. I don't eat junk food and haven't had candy/soda/whatever in over a year.

I'm not really sure. I eat 2X a day because of my dining plan and because I don't trust myself to have food in my dorm. I estimate that I'm getting around 700 calories a meal because I eat until I'm satisfied. Tonight I was really shaky, nervous and hungry because of my midterm tomorrow and the next thing I knew I was chowing down on nuts and fruit like it was my last meal or something. I specifically ate more today to avoid and incident like tonight and we all just saw how well that turned out....
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

I'm not really looking to lose more weight at this point even though that would be nice. I'm trying to maintain/ adding miles/ adding weights. I'd also like to be able to intuitively eat so I don't need to count calories for the rest of my life. I'm fairly good about portion sizes and all my food's really clean. I don't eat junk food and haven't had candy/soda/whatever in over a year.

I'm not really sure. I eat 2X a day because of my dining plan and because I don't trust myself to have food in my dorm. I estimate that I'm getting around 700 calories a meal because I eat until I'm satisfied. Tonight I was really shaky, nervous and hungry because of my midterm tomorrow and the next thing I knew I was chowing down on nuts and fruit like it was my last meal or something. I specifically ate more today to avoid and incident like tonight and we all just saw how well that turned out....

How long after the second meal, did you start feeling shaky, nervous and hungry? I'm wondering if eating 2X a day, just because it fits your dining plan, isn't part of the reason you start to binge. And as the previous poster said, you may not be eating enough, if you're taking in 1400 calories, and working off alot of them. Could you consider adding in a small, healthy snack, once or twice a day?
    Based on all of your threads..... I still suggest speaking to your parents, another trusted adult and/or your doctor versus making multiple threads on similar topics.

Whoops, guess I didn't do my due diligence. :yawn:
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Based on all of your threads..... I still suggest speaking to your parents, another trusted adult and/or your doctor versus making multiple threads on similar topics.
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    You, madam, are a squirrel.
    On a more serious note, it sounds like stress :P
  • Lexandreia
    Options

I've gotten help last year and I'm a lot better than I used to be. I can't afford more treatment, college is expensive enough. Please stop posting this comment on all my threads, it's not helpful.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

I've gotten help last year and I'm a lot better than I used to be. I can't afford more treatment, college is expensive enough. Please stop posting this comment on all my threads, it's not helpful.

Nor is posting multiple times about the same thing. If you need help you should look for resources in your city.
  • xoeva
    xoeva Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I also looooove fruit and nuts. I try to eat the healthier nuts. I read that pistachios have 4 calories a nut (hard to believe..) and almonds are one of the best. Pecans are my favorite though, but higher in calories and fat and more importantly I can't stop eating them till the bag is empty. With fruit...well try having a vegetable (have you tried jicama? very filling) instead of a fruit. I could eat a handful of frits in 2 sec flat...but I try to stretch it out by nibbling on it. Since joining MFP I've tried not eating so many fruits - I try only 2 a day because they have so many calories and I only have just below 1300. Hope this helped.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

Now look what you've done.
    User Deactivated

tumblr_lbxfprnrm21qcqlp3.jpg
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

Now look what you've done.
    User Deactivated

tumblr_lbxfprnrm21qcqlp3.jpg

Eh. She will probably just create another account. Either way, I hope she gets help and hope she gets better.