Scales

Options
I just found out that my scale is only 68% accurate! It only does weight not fat Can anyone suggest a scale to me that does bodyfat and weight and tell me why so I can make a good choice of scale to buy thank you

Replies

• Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Hi ! I'm very pleased with my scale. I can't remember the name/model right now .... will have find out in the morning, and let you know.
  • pro1989
    Options
    The first measurement you need to take is how healthy you feel and how so you look in the mirror.

Re the scale, for as long as it mistakes the masurement by the same degree, it does not make any difference as you can still be able to note any change in weigh.

After the first two "measurements" from the first sentence, what you might wanna measure as well is waist lenght in two extreme scenarios:

fully retracted and fully extanded

Good luck.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Ordered an Omron & Health O Meter Digital Tape Measure. They should be in on Saturday. Can't wait.
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I think the important thing is that you weigh yourself on the same scales for comparison. The scales at my gym weigh me at 1.5kg less than the ones in my bathroom, I don't know which one is the most accurate but it's my scales reading that I post. (Although I do like to weigh myself on the gym ones from time to time, just for the thrill!)
  • hararayne
    hararayne Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I have a typically cheap bathroom scale. However, you seem to be looking for a bio-impedence fat percentage machine. You can either get a handheld one (at least 130.00 bucks and doesn't weigh you and isn't accurate), or you can get one that goes along with your scale. I'd reccommend the fitbit aria. I don't have one but one of my friends does and he loves it. Just keep in mind that these things aren't perfect with bodyfat percentage because the electrical pulse that goes through your body can't tell the difference between water and fat. So if you are well hydrated it may tell you you're higher when you're not.

I'd also reccommend having someone take your body fat via caliper so you have a basline. You can have that redone as needed, perhaps on a monthly or quarterly basis. Hope that helps.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I just found out that my scale is only 68% accurate!
    How did you find that out?
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Options
    I'm happy with my scale: Beurer Model # BG 51
    You can program your height/age/activity level, and it saves it for next time. ( can save up to 10 users)
    441 Lb weight capacity.
    .2 lb increments.

It calculates your specific Body fat% , muscle %, body water%, bone mass%, BMI, and calorie consumption(?) .

The only 3 numbers I focus on are: weight, body fat %, and body water%

Prior to that one, I tried 3 others brands of scales.. all of them were inconsistent ~ I'd weigh myself 3x on the same scale within a couple of minutes~ and the weight varied :(

Between tracking my weight, body fat%, weekly measurements, along with MFP food diary & exercise diary, I feel I have a good handle on it all.

and of course, my energy level & how my clothes fit :)
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Options
    One down side of the Beurer BG 51...
    You need to be mindful how you step on and off of it.
    It's rather wide & the little 'feet' aren't all the way to the edge, so if you don't step squarely onto it, it might tip / other side pops up.

btw - It's rather large... and it's glass.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I do not own one
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Options
    I do not own one

I didn't own a scale for 25+ years. no need to, since my clothes consistantly fit me the same. My weight didn't flexuate if I was dying with the flu, or pigged out at the holiday. I'd weigh myself at my mom's from time to time. no change.
    I was consistantly on the thin side, ate healthy, but never turned down dessert , never ever dieted or restricted by intake..... because I had high metabolism !! and I figured I always would . HA!

then WHAM. menopause & had a back injury. Had my head in the sand, and ...... gained almost 20 pounds . I 'knew' I gained some weight, but in denial as to just how much.

When I finally commited to lose the extra weight ~figured it would a piece of cake... people lose weight all the time. can't be that hard!
    O.M.G. My body did not want to let go of the extra pounds!! i averaged 1/2 pound a week.

so now, I weight & measure myself regularly. I will never never let my weight get out of hand again.
  • treenabenyon
    Options
    I just found out that my scale is only 68% accurate!
    How did you find that out? I google my name of the scale