Adding a Recipe

Options
First I want to point out that I don't cook. So if my question seems silly, that's why :)

My BF is cooking a huge pot of chili. In order to be able to add it to my diary when I have a small bowl, I've attempted to add it to my recipes. I've added all of the ingredients (enough to fill a giant crock pot) and now it want's # of servings. How do I determine this without having to get out the measuring cup and measuring his entire crockpot of chili too see how much total volume it ended up with. As far as "servings" go, a serving for him will be 2-3 times what a serving for me would be... ugh, maybe I should have taken a home ec class all those years ago in high school...

Thanks for any help :flowerforyou:

Replies

• JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Not silly, it's a good question.
    I think you may have to make a sensible guess if you don't want to do the measure stuff.
    Sorry, no help at all.:ohwell:
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Ideally you would have weighed the empty pot before he started cooking, but you can weigh the full pot when he's done and then move the chili into something else and weigh the empty pot. Now you know what the total weight is, you can decide how many servings you want to get out of the pot, or you could even tell MFP it's all one serving. It doesn't matter, so long as you know how many ounces or grams (I prefer using grams for weighing food, because it's more exact, since a gram is so much smaller) are in a serving. You need to divide the total weight of the chili by the number of servings you're telling MFP are in the recipe. If you say it's one serving, the weight of the entire pot is the weight of one serving. Now, you have to keep track of the size of that serving. I always put it right in the name of the dish. For example: "BF's Famous Chili (serving = 200 grams)" Every time you dish up a bowl of chili for yourself, you weigh how much chili you're putting in your bowl. If it's not exactly 200 grams, you divide the amount (in grams) that you're actually eating by 200, and that's what you put in the quantity box when you log the chili. It probably sounds complicated, but weighing your food is much more accurate than using volume measurements, and ultimately a lot simpler when you're making large amounts of food like a pot of chili or even a baked casserole.
  • kynara
    kynara Posts: 5
    Options
    Ideally you would have weighed the empty pot before he started cooking, but you can weigh the full pot when he's done and then move the chili into something else and weigh the empty pot. Now you know what the total weight is, you can decide how many servings you want to get out of the pot, or you could even tell MFP it's all one serving. It doesn't matter, so long as you know how many ounces or grams (I prefer using grams for weighing food, because it's more exact, since a gram is so much smaller) are in a serving. You need to divide the total weight of the chili by the number of servings you're telling MFP are in the recipe. If you say it's one serving, the weight of the entire pot is the weight of one serving. Now, you have to keep track of the size of that serving. I always put it right in the name of the dish. For example: "BF's Famous Chili (serving = 200 grams)" Every time you dish up a bowl of chili for yourself, you weigh how much chili you're putting in your bowl. If it's not exactly 200 grams, you divide the amount (in grams) that you're actually eating by 200, and that's what you put in the quantity box when you log the chili. It probably sounds complicated, but weighing your food is much more accurate than using volume measurements, and ultimately a lot simpler when you're making large amounts of food like a pot of chili or even a baked casserole.

not complicated, it's perfect! thank you!!