Amenorrhea? How to re-gain period back.

Options
I've been missing my period for 2 consecutive months already. As much as possible I don't want to give up working out. I've been overweight/obese since my childhood days and so I'm afraid I'll gain weight if I stop working out. 5lbs to lose til I reach my goal weight. And I'm currently on my 2nd week of turbofire and I love it. My daily intake would normally range to 1500-1700 net of calories. I don't want to take pills as much as possible and want to bring back my period the natural way. I don't know what went wrong, since my bmi is at normal range. Any tips? Like any food that I should eat? (Definitely not pregnant. )

height:5'3
starting weight: 156lbs (end of may 2013)
current weight: 120lbs
goal weight: 110-115lbs

Replies

• Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Make an appointment with your GYN. I've been having similar issues, I've only had a few periods this year, and I'm not even underweight. I have an appointment in a few weeks, but yeah, just call and get seen. :)
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Seen your GYN :) and if you don't want to go on pills (which only fake hormones anyways) you can try herbal treatment, :)
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Secondary amenorrhea can occur for several reasons. Outside of the obvious pregnancy explanation, two main reasons include excessive exercise stress and low energy availability (net calories) upon 5 consecutive days or more.

It is quite common for people in self-reported surveys to greatly underestimate food intake and overestimate exercise expenditure. Although your net intake range seems satisfactory, are you accounting for everything you eat and weighing all food using a digital scale? Are you perhaps miscalculating exercise energy expenditure?

If your calculations are significantly off, you could actually be netting less calories than you think which would lead to disruption in LH pulsatility and ovarian function.

You can read about how insufficient energy availability to lean to an absence of menses in this study:

http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/88/1/297.full
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    see a Dr
  • moonmistmm
    moonmistmm Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My bet might be the turbofire. Is it strenuous? My friends would always lose their period during cross country season and gain it back after the season ended (less exercise). I'm not sure if eating more would help, but it might.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Do a see a doctor. I also had that issue many, many times when I was younger. Stress and also whether you are spending time with other women or not. When I spent time with mostly men or alone, I could easily go for 50+ days between periods. Everyone in my family is like that. Hormones are just plain complicated.
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Iknewyouweretrouble Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    what is your body fat%? women need ample body fat for menstruating hormones.
  • thenewmoni
    thenewmoni Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Work out less and eat more fat. It will come back
  • Cherp18
    Cherp18 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    see a Dr

^ ^ this ^ ^
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Mine has gone AWOL too. Body fat percentage at 20%, weight 121 lbs, 5'4" tall. Is this too low of a body fat % to maintain proper cycles? I was very irregular when I was younger and weighed in the 120s and 130s. The heavier I got, the more regular I was. Took several preggo tests, so not preggo, but am wondering why? I work out 6 days a week average, usually for 30-45 minutes each day.
  • VoodooAborisha
    VoodooAborisha Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that the body will stop ovulating and/or stop having periods if there is too much stress on the body to support a healthy pregnancy. Could be anything from lack of enough calories, protein, healthy fats, and/or iron. I did ballet and a lot of the really skinny girls who ate very little and did a lot of exercise tended to go for months without periods. See a doctor but in the meantime eat more, especially protein and iron containing foods. If your hair isn't falling out it may be iron not protein, but a doctor will have to do a blood test, and tell her what you eat each day and how much exercise etc.

Also have them check your B12 levels. If you are not getting enough animal products or B12 vitamin, you could have "pernicious anemia" which looks like low iron, has low iron symptoms like amenorrhea, but is really low B12. Just in case.
  • Soyajam
    Soyajam Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Because I'm overweight, my cycles can be completely wonky - they can range from 20 day, 27-28 day (spot on), to 40-45 day cycles - often depending on (like the other ladies say) stress, how active I've been, and the composition of my diet.

I find for example, that if I have a really bad month full of sugar in my diet, it will often result in an elongated cycle.
    I have since discovered from my doctor that this may be linked to insulin resistance. (since all that stuff is linked)

(My mother has also told me she was like this and having kids knocked her cycles back on time, so perhaps genetics are a factor too? Dunno)

In your case, if this is unusual for you and it's the first time it's happened, I would also suggest seeing a doctor or gynecologist - even if it's caused by the regime you're on, they may have recommendations that will put your mind at ease (about whether to ease up, or if it's okay to continue).

Hope that helps! :)
  • alechua
    alechua Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice! My doctor prescribed Provera (10mg), but I'm a bit hesitant to take it. Has anyone tried Provera, and any side effects? Results? How long did you take (Provera) before you regain your period back? Any tips? Thanks!
  • alechua
    Options
    Seen your GYN :) and if you don't want to go on pills (which only fake hormones anyways) you can try herbal treatment, :)

Do you know any herbal treatment that works? Thanks! :)
  • alechua
    Options
    Secondary amenorrhea can occur for several reasons. Outside of the obvious pregnancy explanation, two main reasons include excessive exercise stress and low energy availability (net calories) upon 5 consecutive days or more.

It is quite common for people in self-reported surveys to greatly underestimate food intake and overestimate exercise expenditure. Although your net intake range seems satisfactory, are you accounting for everything you eat and weighing all food using a digital scale? Are you perhaps miscalculating exercise energy expenditure?

If your calculations are significantly off, you could actually be netting less calories than you think which would lead to disruption in LH pulsatility and ovarian function.

You can read about how insufficient energy availability to lean to an absence of menses in this study:

http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/88/1/297.full

Honestly, I'm just estimating my food and not using scale. And searching the net for the general calories burned of my workout (present workout - turbofire; now on my 2nd week). Thanks for the advice, will definitely check out the link! :)
  • alechua
    Options
    My bet might be the turbofire. Is it strenuous? My friends would always lose their period during cross country season and gain it back after the season ended (less exercise). I'm not sure if eating more would help, but it might.

The turbofire program has HIIT workout, but then everyday is a different routine, more likely kickboxing type of workout. I'm actually increasing my calorie intake little by little. I'm afraid I'll go over and gain lbs again. :(
  • alechua
    Options
    Work out less and eat more fat. It will come back

I really hate skipping workout, instead I just increased my fat intake, regularly eating chicken and pork and nuts at present. Hope it'll improve my situation. Thanks for the advice! :)
  • alechua
    Options
    what is your body fat%? women need ample body fat for menstruating hormones.

Haven't check my body fat %. Guess need to do some measuring. Thanks for the advice! :)
  • PleasantDisarray
    PleasantDisarray Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had Provera to treat my amenorrhea in what's known as a "progesterone challenge", which is used as both a diagnostic tool and to induce periods in patients with amenorrhea. I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) which has led to difficulties with my periods from the very first one, and in people with sufficient estradiol (a form of estrogen) giving patients Provera for I think seven days, and then withdrawing it, should induce bleeding withing 2-7 days. If there's something more complicated going on, after 7 days there will still not be bleeding. I don't know if this fits the dosage instructions your doctor gave you, but this is my experience!

In my personal case, I experienced no real problem with taking the Provera beyond a slight increase in the hair on my upper lip, which I will admit was embarrassing, but was easily waxed off. After completing the week long course of Provera, it took the full 7 days for me to get a period. It made no difference to the long-term regularity of my cycle, because of the PCOS - I still need to be on some form of hormone therapy, be it the pill (which I can't take) or Provera, to force periods to occur at the right time.

Really, though, don't sweat about amenorrhea too much. You only need a good bleed every 3-4 months to keep things properly healthy, and I've gone up to 10 months without a period and everything is still in working order. You just learn to roll with it. :)
  • tula1980
    Options
    Did your doctor have no advice other than take a pill?

I never suffered with lack of period when I was at 15% body fat, in fact I fell pregnant at 32 the first month we tried. Women clearly do need a certain amount of body fat, but getting your BMI down to normal shouldn't be enough to stop your periods if it's been done sustainably.

If I were in your shoes I think I would weigh/measure/track your intake, even if just for a couple of weeks, to make sure you are getting enough protein, fat (including omega's), iron, vits D, B's and E as well as enough calories for the amount of working out your doing.

You may need to raise your calories slowly but quite a bit. I'm 5'1, 112lb and I do 3x 60 minute yoga (normal yoga) workouts and 3x 40 minute lifting workouts a week and I'm maintaining my body weight at 2100 calories a day. You might find, depending on workout intensity, that you need to get to an average of ~2000 calories to lose those last few pounds slowly but carefully. You shouldn't have to big a deficit with such a small amount left to lose.