Can someone help me figure out maintenance calories?

Options
Ok, after continuing to lose weight while in maintenance I think I need to track calories again, at least for a while :grumble: However, I'm having trouble figuring out what my maintenance calories should be. MFP seems to put me at a pretty low number, whereas another site I joined has me over 300 calories higher (before exercise calories are added in). I've never done the whole TDEE method or even counted straight calories, (did alternate day IF for weight loss which does not follow a normal calorie restricting pattern), so I'm feeling a bit lost right now! Would love some help with this :)

Stats:

-female
-34yrs old
-5ft, 6in
-CW 120 today, but I've been hitting 119.5lb several times throughout the week, for the past few weeks (the lowest weight I've ever been at as an adult).
-want to maintain!

-Exercise is 5-6 days of fast paced walking with some running thrown in: usually 1-1.5miles of walking and then .5-1mile slow jogging (2 miles total, except for once a week I do a combination of the two for 3 miles total). Otherwise I'm a sahm who spends too much time on the computer :tongue:

My maintenance plan so far has been 8/16IF along with eating a mostly whole foods, plant based diet with no calorie/macro tracking. The downside to this is I must be eating less calories, because I'm eating food that's keeping me fuller for longer (like oatmeal, green smoothies etc). I'm betting my fiber intake is pretty high right now.

Replies

• iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    bump :)

Also, I'm 35, not 34-b-day was last month oops lol.

And the scale is back down to 119.5 this morning-actually it showed 119 for a few seconds and then it settled on 119.5.
  • sklebar
    sklebar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I do the same, in terms of eating whole foods and lots and lots of veg. Bump up your calories once a week by 100 and you should notice a difference. I also eat bread now, but sparingly, and have decided to just have more small meals spaced out through the day because I just can't bear eating too much in one go! lol!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Put yourself at lightly active.
  • iechick
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Put yourself at lightly active.

Thanks!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    if your still losing weight when you think your eating maintenance.. guess what your not.. add calories until it stops.
  • iechick
    Options
    if your still losing weight when you think your eating maintenance.. guess what your not.. add calories until it stops.

My problem is I haven't been tracking calories in about six months, since I called goal and started transitioning into maintenance (and since then have lost an additional 15lbs). So step one is figuring out how many calories I need to maintain. Step two is starting to track my food again :)
  • peasantsong
    peasantsong Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I’m no expert, but I would figure that step 1 would be log your current intake at which you are losing weight (maybe do this for a week so you can get an average), and step 2 increase your calories by 100 a week from there until you stop losing. That’s what I would do anyway!
  • iechick
    Options
    I’m no expert, but I would figure that step 1 would be log your current intake at which you are losing weight (maybe do this for a week so you can get an average), and step 2 increase your calories by 100 a week from there until you stop losing. That’s what I would do anyway!

I just logged today's food (what I'll be eating), and it's pretty typical of what I eat daily-with exercise calories added in, I'm coming in at around 500 calories short :tongue: So, yeah seeing the problem now lol. Thing is I eat a lot of high fiber foods (fiber is way over what mfp has as a default), and that makes me feel full for longer. I also eat quite a bit of food, but a lot of it is veggies, which is lower calories. I already eat a lot of nuts and seeds but it looks like I'll have to up those quite a bit to get some calories in.

I just started tracking again today, if anyone wants to peek at what today looks like- my diary is open :) I do eat a mostly whole foods, plant based diet, so that's why my food choices are what they are :)
  • peasantsong
    Options
    I eat a vegetarian diet as well and if I were in your situation, I would figure out a way to add 1/2 an avocado (125 cals), 1oz of cashews (156 cals), 1 tbsp of olive oil (119 cals), and a banana (120 cals). All of those are dense in calories and, I think, great whole-foods options to get that extra 500 cals you're missing.
  • iechick
    Options
    I eat a vegetarian diet as well and if I were in your situation, I would figure out a way to add 1/2 an avocado (125 cals), 1oz of cashews (156 cals), 1 tbsp of olive oil (119 cals), and a banana (120 cals). All of those are dense in calories and, I think, great whole-foods options to get that extra 500 cals you're missing.

thanks for the suggestions-the avocado and extra banana could go in my smoothies and the oil could go in my salad :) Cashews are a bit pricy, but I do have a big bag of walnuts, so I think I'll have some of those as a snack later on.
  • peasantsong
    Options
    Sounds great! Glad I could help :)
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Try to find a place that has an inBody machine and get tested. Should cost around $30-40.
  • iechick
    Options
    Try to find a place that has an inBody machine and get tested. Should cost around $30-40.

What does this do? I'm planning on asking my dr. to test my body fat next time I go in (hoping he has calipers or something), but that's not until next April. I was looking at calipers on Amazon, but I've read it might not be accurate when you're doing it yourself/untrained.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    It's a very accurate body assessment machine. Tells you your body composition, your BMR, etc.

http://www.e-inbody.com/Product/ib520.html