Clean Eating Challenge

Options
I am looking for a Clean Eating Challenge (30 day challenge for example). Does anyone have any suggestions or grocery list ideas? I am new to the clean eating thing.

Replies

• doutri2
    doutri2 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    When I was exploring Clean Eating, I went to Half.com to get some cheap cookbooks and Idiot Guides to Clean Eating, etc. Good Luck with it.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Idiot Guides to Clean Eating

Sounds about right. Clean eating, the new fad!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly clean. Feel free to add me..

Basically stick to whole raw foods, raw unprocessed protein and unprocessed food without additives.

Means no lean cuisines. :~) and you'll start to cook and experiment more in the kitchen.

You'll feel great eating this way once you get used to the time you have to put into prepping and cooking foods.

It's not a new fad.. it's just newly named.. Its more how our grandparents ate before the whole 60s/70s better living through chemicals thing happened. It's not a magic diet that will melt the pounds off. You still have to make sure you're in a calorie deficit. But from a health standpoint. It's better for you. :)
  • BetterKimmer
    BetterKimmer Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I agree, not a fad, a way our grandparents ate. Best way to make it clean is to get the most basic ingredients you can and you combine them yourself, not a corporation somewhere cooking for you with all the preservatives, coloring, enhancements that destroy our diets.
    Try buying quinoa, faro, black rice, fresh or frozen veggies and fruits, lean meats, like ground turkey, fresh or frozen fish, eggs or egg white(check ingredient list, should only have egg whites, not extra crap and seasoning like some egg whites have) Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and breads with simple ingredient lists. I use chicken stock, hot peppers, salsa, feta cheese, tons of black pepper to season and flavor things. Lastly, steer clear of artificial sweeteners, drinks and juices, drinks lots of water and flavor with fresh fruit if you want. Check Pinterest and Google for more ideas too.
    Add me! And check out most of my meals, not all though. LOL
    Last tip: If you can't go cold turkey and change all at once, start by adding or changing 1 or 2 things a week as you add in and stop some bad eating habits. Took me a year to get on a MOSTLY clean diet. Now I love it!!
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    A great place to start is watch the documentary Food Inc, or read the book it's based on, Omnivores Dilemma by Michael Pollan. I eat a mostly whole foods, plant based 'clean' diet and really enjoy it :)
  • JordanElizabeth87
    Options
    A great place to start is watch the documentary Food Inc, or read the book it's based on, Omnivores Dilemma by Michael Pollan. I eat a mostly whole foods, plant based 'clean' diet and really enjoy it :)

I have seen the movie and I had to read a book about it in college. Very informative.
  • JordanElizabeth87
    Options

Basically stick to whole raw foods, raw unprocessed protein and unprocessed food without additives.

Means no lean cuisines. :~) and you'll start to cook and experiment more in the kitchen.

You'll feel great eating this way once you get used to the time you have to put into prepping and cooking foods.

It's not a new fad.. it's just newly named.. Its more how our grandparents ate before the whole 60s/70s better living through chemicals thing happened. It's not a magic diet that will melt the pounds off. You still have to make sure you're in a calorie deficit. But from a health standpoint. It's better for you. :)

Lol I don't eat lean cuisines anyway. I think they're gross to begin with. It is an old way of eating, I agree with you. I don't want a fad. I'm trying to make a lifestyle eating change :)
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    It does take a little time to get used to.. I'm now the annoying women in the grocery store who is standing in your way, oblivious to your presence because i'm reading the ingredient list to every can of diced tomatoes looking for the one that is just tomatoes, no salt sugar or other things added. I don't even understand why there is sugar put in a lot of stuff. I just discovered the shredded broccoli slaw mix I bought has sugar added to it.. WHY??!?!?! I have to eat it, cause I cant' afford to toss it, but damn that's annoying. If I wanted sugar I'll add it myself. *sigh* I also watch the salt and sugar content too. That may or may not be something you care about. I just don't like the taste of foods that have a lot of extra salt or sugar. Plus I lose better when i keep those things low.

I also cook a lot. so I have a ton of recipes. And I share them :)
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    It does take a little time to get used to.. I'm now the annoying women in the grocery store who is standing in your way, oblivious to your presence because i'm reading the ingredient list to every can of diced tomatoes looking for the one that is just tomatoes, no salt sugar or other things added. I don't even understand why there is sugar put in a lot of stuff. I just discovered the shredded broccoli slaw mix I bought has sugar added to it.. WHY??!?!?! I have to eat it, cause I cant' afford to toss it, but damn that's annoying. If I wanted sugar I'll add it myself. *sigh* I also watch the salt and sugar content too. That may or may not be something you care about. I just don't like the taste of foods that have a lot of extra salt or sugar. Plus I lose better when i keep those things low.

I read somewhere that sugar acts as a preservative, so that may be why it shows up in odd places?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I suggest joining a clean eating group or starting one yourself for challenges.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options

I read somewhere that sugar acts as a preservative, so that may be why it shows up in odd places?

I think I read that once somewhere too.. same with salt.. but salt free sugar free stuff lasts just as well in my kitchen. Oh and believe it or not.. great value petite diced tomatoes.. no additives.. and kuner salt free beans.. no additives. Both found at wal-mart.. go figure. I don't like wal-mart and I have to go there for these two things. lol
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

So you're saying it's the way people used to eat back when the average life expectancy was 20-30 years lower than it is today?

Count me out
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options

So you're saying it's the way people used to eat back when the average life expectancy was 20-30 years lower than it is today?

Count me out

Well since my grandmother is 91 with no medical problems.. I challenge your broad generalization and assumption.,., and she grew up raising animals and tending a garden for food. Not buying pre-made, chemical laden, processed junk (yes i know some of all of those existed back then, we don't need to go to extremes here)

Plus their life expectancy had little to do with food and more to do with medical advances (like heart issues and cancers) being treatable that weren't before. As well as more hazardous work environments.