Body cleansing

Options
I've been using MFP since April and i've lost over 40lbs so far and i continue to lose a little every week. I see a chiropractor on a regular basis for some old back problems and the last time i saw him he suggested that i see a nutritionist who could help me with getting rid of some toxins left in my body from the weight i have lost. Has any one else used any kind of body cleansing supplements to help them "clean their bodies of bad toxins"? I'm not sure if this has any merit or if it's like snake oil.

Replies

• arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Given that this advice came from your chiropractor I think you can safely ignore it. I have a masters degree in nutrition and while I couldn't fix your back I can assure you that there are no nutritionist-recommended potions to "clear your body of bad toxins". You hopefully have a functioning liver and a digestive system, so your body is nicely set to look after itself!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    What toxin, specifically, did he suggest that you cleanse from your body?

If he did not supply you with that information, I would suggest that you call him and ask.

Don't worry, I'll wait to hear what he says..........
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    He should probably stay in his field of expertise.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I use Axe for body cleansing...the ladies love it.
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    A relative of mine did it this summer, but she did it at the end of radiation treatment and with her oncologists blessing. It did help her-the pain in her surgery area went away and she actually started gaining weight again, which she needed to happen because of all the weight she lost due to cancer/radiation. She also said it made her feel like her old self again (not as tired/lethargic, due to the radiation treatments). So in her special case it helped, but it was not normal circumstances.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    While I love what a chiropractor can do for my joints, the advice they give on nutrition is abysmal at best. Snake oil.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    You already cleanse your body everytime you hit the restroom :wink:
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't have toxins to cleanse...that's what the liver and kidneys are for. if you're peeing and pooing like a champ, you're good.

Methinks he should stick to his own field...:/
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Your Chiropractor should stick to cracking backs...
  • KindredSouls
    KindredSouls Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Kerry-Washington-Scandal-gif.gif
  • Taterpoof
    Taterpoof Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Your chiropractor has been watching too much Dr. Oz....
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    i love a good body cleanse!

109047.gif
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    That bunny is awesome! He looks so chill, lounging on his back. LMAO! My bunny wouldn't be so accepting. At least I don't think. Now I want to try.... :D If I come back all chewed up and shredded, it's your fault, skull! LOL!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Would have been better off handing you a loofa for body cleansing. That actually works.

IDEA Fitness member
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    i love a good body cleanse!

109047.gif

:laugh:
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I detest all those "fat" toxins. Let me know how that works out for you. I probably have a good 10 pounds of them suckers left over by now. :noway:
  • KindredSouls
    Options

So what you're telling me is that I should believe a chiropractors advice on nutrition rather than someone who studied nutrition?

AND.... Great quote by someone from 1500 years ago!

How about this one? King Charles II woke up feeling sick, so the royal barber took a pint of blood, and elite doctors another eight ounces. Charles was then made to swallow antimony, a toxic metal, and given a series of enemas.

LETS TRY THIS ONE!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Peer reviewed clinical studies haven't shown that "cleansing" of the body of ANY TYPE removes anything but excess water from the cells. The person with the Master's degree in Nutrition is correct. You don't have to agree with it by choice, but scientific evidence will trump opinion on this matter.
    And there's no need to call anyone idiots on the site. Name calling is a result in frustration to back up argument.

IDEA Fitness member
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Your chiropractor has been watching too much Dr. Oz....

^ This.
  • KindredSouls
    Options
    In 1610 his Surgical Cures for Erotic Melancholy, written for female patients,Jaques Ferrand suggested shaving the *kitten*, burning the thighs with acid and, for cases that threatened to turn into lycanthropy (werewolfism), bleeding until heart failure ensued, then searing the front of the head with a hot iron.