Do i use the 1200 calories for weight loss or BMR

Options
MFP says 1200 calories to lose weight my BMR calculator says 1395 calories which one is best to lose 30 lbs. what is really the difference?

Replies

• MichMunchkin
    MichMunchkin Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not an expert -- all I can offer is my own experience -- but what I can tell you is that before I started using MFP, I was eating 1300 calories a day and not losing a thing (I had literally not lost anything in two months). I only started MFP a couple weeks ago, upped my calories to 1700 net last week, and as of this morning (after a week of eating 1700 daily) I have lost 1.5 pounds.

1200 calories is definitely NOT for everyone. From what I have read (and what countless people have counselled me on here) is that you should not eat below your BMR. It won't do you any good in the long run.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    If you're not using MFP, use your TDEE -20% not BMR for intake and do not eat back exercise calories, as they are calculated. MFP is designed for you to eat back exercise calories, which can get hairy if you don't have a HRM because it overestimates burns from said exercise. BMR is the amount you should consume if you were bedridden and literally did not move at all. I like using TDEE method myself.
  • CHRISTTY33
    Options
    Ok so bedridden and not trying to lose weight but rather just sustaing? Is that kinda what you mean? So to lose I need to go below the 1395?
  • CHRISTTY33
    Options
    Yes I am learning that...ty
  • CHRISTTY33
    Options
    Well, I'm not an expert -- all I can offer is my own experience -- but what I can tell you is that before I started using MFP, I was eating 1300 calories a day and not losing a thing (I had literally not lost anything in two months). I only started MFP a couple weeks ago, upped my calories to 1700 net last week, and as of this morning (after a week of eating 1700 daily) I have lost 1.5 pounds.

1200 calories is definitely NOT for everyone. From what I have read (and what countless people have counselled me on here) is that you should not eat below your BMR. It won't do you any good in the long run.

Yes, I am seeing that about 1200 not for everyone...just didn't want to gain weight I seem to be doing fine at 1200 but don't want to get malnuriched
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Ok so bedridden and not trying to lose weight but rather just sustaing? Is that kinda what you mean?

BMR essentially is what doctors would give you to keep you alive if you had gone into a coma is what I understand. If you want to do the TDEE method use either scoobyworkshop.com or iifym.com to calculate. You can choose what percentage/rate you'd like to lose and your activity level. I always hated guessing my burns on MFP, so these calculators helped. It's still guesswork, as everyone is different but to me, it's less of a headache.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    MFP says 1200 calories but that's assuming you don't work out at all. If you work out or walk or anything you should be eating more. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ is better IMO.
  • Danimar53
    Options
    I've been trying to keep to 1200 calories because I'm in a wheelchair most of the time. I've lost 11lbs so far, but everyone is saying 1200 is too low my BMR is 1430, but I can't walk, so I'm not exercising.
    Do I stick to 1200 or 1430