Does this seem weird? Can't get a good nights sleep

Options
Hi all,

I've been pondering this for awhile and really don't know how odd it seems. I haven't had a good nights sleep in ages.

The weird part about it is that I haven't slept well since moving into my current place a year and a half ago.

In my old condo, there was a nice breeze coming in, lots of noise from the highway passing beside, and it just felt comfortable. Now, the condo I'm in now is directly facing another condo (absolutely no air flow when windows are open), it's dead silent (except for people smoking and coughing on the balconies) and for some reason the temperature just can't get normalized.

Have any of you had similar experiences? I can't move until the lease is up in the spring, which I fully intend on doing. Can anything be done in the meantime?

Appreciate any advice or tips!

Replies

• Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    sounds like time for a fan and a noise generator.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Maybe get a fan and one of those sound machine things? That may help.
  • bakemma
    bakemma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you get a fan. That'll help with the noise and with airflow. Also possibly consider melatonin. I'd talk to your doctor about it. I toss and turn and have nightmares if I don't take it. Good luck. I hope you get some good shut eye soon.
  • Ralthor125
    Ralthor125 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hit reply and all of a sudden the two things I were going to say were already listed! When we change our environment too much (less or more noise, temp, breeze) it is hard to relax as it does not feel like where we once "secure". We are still creatures of habit on a basic level and we will stress if we perceive the place we are is unfamiliar and lacking the security of where we once were.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    THIS.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

This.

Also, try melatonin. It's a natural sleep aid. If you take it at the same time every night for three months, you will find yourself ready to fall asleep at that time every night.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Maybe get a fan and one of those sound machine things? That may help.
    I was actually thinking that a fan alone would help. It will provide both the airflow and a low-level rhythmic sound. I have a ceiling fan in my bedroom and it works for me.
  • SamanthaD1218
    SamanthaD1218 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I sleep with a fan and a white noise machine. Super nice!
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    If you are comfy with noise, I'd say get a fan for that nice sound/breeze. Or put on some soft music. Music always helps me sleep. :) you are comfy with your old routine... so it would be good for you to find a way to incorporate that into your new situation. Melatonin also works wonders, since it's what your brain naturally produces it helps your brain realize it needs to start producing more of it around bedtime so you are able to rest.

I hope you get some sleep soon ! <3
  • weather_nerd
    Options
    Well, last night I had my fan, I went to bed at a decent hour and ate dinner at 5:30 pm instead of the usual 8:30 pm. Still had a rather disruptive sleep. I always have very vivid dreams too. Ugh!

I guess I just have to see how tonight goes.