Indian Food for lunch. HELP!

Options
It's not often that I go out for lunch with co-workers, maybe once a month. Today a group of us are going to an Indian restaurant for lunch. I have not had a lot of Indian food, so I am not sure what to stay away from, or what would be relatively decent. I know portion control is really key, but I would like to be able to make an informed choice. The only Indian food I have had before is mushroom saag, which I love, and chicken tikka masala, which was delicious but seems like it would be highly caloric. Any suggestions? What are your favorite Indian dishes. Oh, and I don't like coconut, so some of the curries I don't think I would like. Please help!

Replies

• IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Awwww...come on...no one likes Indian food?
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I usually get tandoori chicken or chicken tikka (NOT chicken tikka masala, which is in a rich sauce). are both yogurt/spice marinated chicken, baked in a tandoor oven, but tandoori is both light and dark meat, and chicken tikka is just breast meat. Lentil dal is also a good choice!
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Love it :-) but my local indian restaurants use a lot of oil/ghee and I prefer lighter home made.

The drier recipes, such as tandoori chicken, might be a better option than the sauce based ones. I love dahl, but again, it can be calorific from a restaurant especially if they put tarka on.

(edit: great minds, previous poster!)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    It's not often that I go out for lunch with co-workers, maybe once a month. Today a group of us are going to an Indian restaurant for lunch. I have not had a lot of Indian food, so I am not sure what to stay away from, or what would be relatively decent. I know portion control is really key, but I would like to be able to make an informed choice. The only Indian food I have had before is mushroom saag, which I love, and chicken tikka masala, which was delicious but seems like it would be highly caloric. Any suggestions? What are your favorite Indian dishes. Oh, and I don't like coconut, so some of the curries I don't think I would like. Please help!

Lots and lots of naan to start, then pakora for your veggies, then something like butter chicken and gulab jamun for dessert
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    Options
    Thank you! I love the spices,and anything spicy, just not much experience with it.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    Options

Lots and lots of naan to start, then pakora for your veggies, then something like butter chicken and gulab jamun for dessert

Ok, I do know enough about it to know that I doubt any of those things are what I am looking for LOL....though they all sound delicious...so umm..thanks....
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I made this chicken curry at home recently and it was delicious, if you fance a bit of DIY :-)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/low-fat_chicken_curry_88832
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    Options
    I made this chicken curry at home recently and it was delicious, if you fance a bit of DIY :-)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/low-fat_chicken_curry_88832

That looks wonderful!
  • ladypenel
    ladypenel Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Prawns or fish are a good choice or the dryer curries You can substitute chipati for rice so offsetting some cals and carbs. One papa pappadum is about 80 cals Enjoy it then watch ur intake later in week!!
  • katelynal
    katelynal Posts: 114
    Options
    I second the tandoori chicken suggestion. The local Indian buffet here often has aloo gobi (cauliflower/potatoes)... also a cabbage dish that would probably work... plus the spicy cold carrot sticks (highly recommend).

Enjoy!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

We do, that's why we don't understand why you'd "avoid" certain things.

You said it yourself--you don't do it very often. Enjoy yourself.

Indian food, in general, is full of vegetables, lean chicken, and/or fish. Not all of the creamy sauces are attributed to cream, too--lots of slow simmering. You can load up on Indian food pretty easily without going over.

I want Indian food really bad now.
  • LH85DC
    LH85DC Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    OMG I love Indian food. Sometimes the restaurant versions of things can be a little bit heavy on oil, but I think it's totally worth it. I always make sure that I have enough calories for at least one piece of naan (at my favorite place I always ask for them not to put extra butter or oil on it). My favorite Indian dish ever is channa masala- chickpeas and onions in a delicious tomato-based sauce. Chicken tikka is always good, malai chalak (spinach dish) is tasty. There's always lots of veggie options, and lots of places will have simple grilled meats if you feel more comfortable going for things without sauces. Avoid fried things like samosas to save calories for other good things!
  • ladypenel
    ladypenel Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Lol me too!!
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Indian food is fantastic, actually! A little high in sodium, but that's restaurant food in general. Just ask your server for recommendations for dishes that aren't soaked in butter. Something with lentils or chickpeas will be high in protein, and of course get lots of vegetables. Steer clear of too much bread or rice and you should be golden.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    Options

Indian food, in general, is full of vegetables, lean chicken, and/or fish. Not all of the creamy sauces are attributed to cream, too--lots of slow simmering. You can load up on Indian food pretty easily without going over.

You are correct, and I should listen to my own self LOL.....just don't want to go crazy as this is a buffet and it would be so easy! Thank you for the "check" and you are more than welcome to join us!
  • kkaci5
    kkaci5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Chicken or vegetable biryani. It's dry, not sauce, and sooo good. I make it at home.
  • selfepidemic1
    selfepidemic1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I would just enjoy your one cheat. If you only cheat once a month all is well! You are allowed to have good food y'know! Perhaps even do some exercise this week to validate it C:

Unless Indian food isn't something you 100% enjoy, then keep with what people have offered!
  • minky_r
    minky_r Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Im indian and if you dont make it yourself you are looking at alot of hidden calories. Stay away from the curries ...cream,butter,...
    usually the apps will be fried.
    Go with the bbq ground beef (kebab) or tandoori chicken. Basmati rice, salad.
    Enjoy :)
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

^^this

They generally write on the menu what's in the dish, so it's easy to have something without cream or coconut. But generally just enjoy it. Indian food is generally quite healthy!

Also, gosh I'm happy I made Dahl yesterday that's waiting for me at home!
  • LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand the concept that eating out is cheating??? I eat out ALL the time. I manage to stay within my calories most of the time. Enjoy the lunch. Indian is easy if you want low calories.