Multiple marathoners?

Options
Hi there! I am curious to meet other marathoners on here. To date, I've completed 48 of them....crazy, I know. I am feeling strong and balanced through cross-training. I joined a group called the Marathon Maniacs about 2 years ago, which explains the # of marathons. Anybody else here a distance runner? What do you do for training?

Replies

• Starrr126
    Starrr126 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hello! I've only done one marathon (almost exactly a year ago!) and then last week I completed my first 50K. I'm a huge fan of cross training, loving cycling, swimming, classes or whatever. I even got into tris from doing the variety. I also work full time and go to grad school full time so my training has really taken a beating this year. I hope to do more when I graduate in May and want to start doing the 50 in 50. If I had the choice and time I prefer to train for running with running and I like going with groups. For all the other types of exercise, I look at that as "treats" and "fun" and not part of my training or an obligation. However, personally I've found I need to just accept being "slower" and walk more since I can't train as hard anyway! ) ; haha
  • RunLove
    RunLove Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've only run 1 marathon but plan to run many more :) My training currently consists of running 5 to 6 days a week, with one long run, one speed day, one moderately hard day (tempo run, hills runs, or something similar) and a couple easy maintenance days. For cross training, I usually do fitness classes. I try to make sure I get at least one day of yoga, one day of weight training, and pilates, I usually end up doing kickboxing and other stuff too :) I love running!! I was injured earlier this year so I"m in the process of building my mileage back up and looking for a marathon to run in the future.
  • Sharonbed4d
    Options
    I've done 2 full marathons and 8 half marathons. I enjoy doing 1/2's more since training for a full is so time consuming. For my training, I run 3 days per week and cross train and strength train on the other days. I take one day a week for rest. I am also into cycling so that works perfect for my cross training.
  • JessicaFB
    JessicaFB Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hello! I've only done one marathon (almost exactly a year ago!) and then last week I completed my first 50K. I'm a huge fan of cross training, loving cycling, swimming, classes or whatever. I even got into tris from doing the variety. I also work full time and go to grad school full time so my training has really taken a beating this year. I hope to do more when I graduate in May and want to start doing the 50 in 50. If I had the choice and time I prefer to train for running with running and I like going with groups. For all the other types of exercise, I look at that as "treats" and "fun" and not part of my training or an obligation. However, personally I've found I need to just accept being "slower" and walk more since I can't train as hard anyway! ) ; haha

Wow, congratulations on your 50K!!! They're quite the feat, aren't they? I find with ultras, you just do whatever you can to finish the distance. If it's a super tough trail, I will walk the uphills to conserve energy. I've been running marathons/ultras since 2004 and struggled with tons of injuries the earlier years. I've found that cross training helps to balance it all out and prevent overuse injuries associated with running. I hope graduation comes fast for you so you can train more :) Thanks for your reply!!
  • JessicaFB
    Options
    I've only run 1 marathon but plan to run many more :) My training currently consists of running 5 to 6 days a week, with one long run, one speed day, one moderately hard day (tempo run, hills runs, or something similar) and a couple easy maintenance days. For cross training, I usually do fitness classes. I try to make sure I get at least one day of yoga, one day of weight training, and pilates, I usually end up doing kickboxing and other stuff too :) I love running!! I was injured earlier this year so I"m in the process of building my mileage back up and looking for a marathon to run in the future.

It's so good to hear you are cross training too. I teach TurboKick 2x/week. Maybe you've heard of it? It complements my running very well because it's total body and includes side to side motion. I try to lift weights 2x/week, but would like to include a 3rd day. There's only so much time! I work a M-F 9-5 job, teach 2 classes, have two dogs (one is puppy), a husband, and try to find time to log miles and do other workouts. Oh, and finding time to clean my house is always a challenge! I have a gym membership but find it easier to do home fitness programs (no driving and I can basically roll out of bed to the tv).
    What kind of injury did you have? I'm happy to hear you are getting back to it. Don't add more than 10% mileage per week. I'm also a running coach :) I got certified to help better train myself without breaking down.
  • JessicaFB
    Options
    I've done 2 full marathons and 8 half marathons. I enjoy doing 1/2's more since training for a full is so time consuming. For my training, I run 3 days per week and cross train and strength train on the other days. I take one day a week for rest. I am also into cycling so that works perfect for my cross training.

I hear you on 1/2's! Recovery is a lot faster too! Most runners have a hard time taking a rest day, so you're very smart to do so. I force myself to take one a week. If I can't sit still, I do yoga or some sort of stretching. Which marathons did you run?
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Yikes...48, wow, very impressive!!!!

13 for me, including Boston... yipee!!!

I've done some 50k ultras, and really like the ultra scene personally, and still have a big goal unmet to do some 50-milers too, not sure when.

All that is just stuff [who cares], but the thing I am MOST proud of... no injuries :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

What's on the calendar? Favorite marathons? I plan to run a few next year and still shopping for what to run.

Ray
  • Michaela722
    Options
    I started running a year and a half ago - 4 half marathons under my belt, with my 5th coming up in a few weeks. I'm currently training for my first full marathon - at Walt Disney World. After Disney, I want to start training for my first tri and do more trail running.
  • JessicaFB
    Options
    Yikes...48, wow, very impressive!!!!

13 for me, including Boston... yipee!!!

I've done some 50k ultras, and really like the ultra scene personally, and still have a big goal unmet to do some 50-milers too, not sure when.

All that is just stuff [who cares], but the thing I am MOST proud of... no injuries :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

What's on the calendar? Favorite marathons? I plan to run a few next year and still shopping for what to run.

Ray

Hi Ray,

Right on! I ran Boston in 2005 and hope to do it again......I've been busting my butt trying to qualify again. I ran a marathon on the 10th and missed it by 50 seconds. Ughhh!!

I agree on the ultras. The community is so laid back and so much more supportive! I've run a handful of 50Ks and one 35 miler. Next up is a 50 miler. I'm looking at one in August in Upper Michigan (my hometown).

I am proud to be injury free too. The last year has been amazing for strength and endurance gains. Ever hear of P90X? It saved me! :) I can tell you more if you're interested.

Next on the calendar is the Tri Cities marathon in WA and then Seattle Marathon Thanksgiving weekend. It looks like Seattle will be my 50th!

What do you have on the calendar?
  • JessicaFB
    Options
    Ray,

Check out the Marathon Maniacs race calendar for more options!

Jessica :)
  • JessicaFB
    Options
    I started running a year and a half ago - 4 half marathons under my belt, with my 5th coming up in a few weeks. I'm currently training for my first full marathon - at Walt Disney World. After Disney, I want to start training for my first tri and do more trail running.

Ooooo, I heard Disney is FUN!!!! Congratulations on picking your first marathon and training for it! I am excited to hear how things go for you.
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Ughhh... yes I've heard of P90X, and never seem to like AbRibberX, pull-ups, or anything that doesn't go forward.. ugh. Starting another round in a week or so... but better just be a week..hehe. Need to tone up a bit...

Checked out the maniac club, maybe I'll try a bronze badge to start. Some really crazy folk in there...hehe.

Calendar... *edit* deleted it....sorry. It's sorta weird for me, but I don't like to talk about my races... I'd rather just do them. It cleanses me of all expectations, and it's just me and goals... which is like peas and carrots..hehe!

Ray
  • JessicaFB
    Options
    Ughhh... yes I've heard of P90X, and never seem to like AbRibberX, pull-ups, or anything that doesn't go forward.. ugh. Starting another round in a week or so... but better just be a week..hehe. Need to tone up a bit...

Checked out the maniac club, maybe I'll try a bronze badge to start. Some really crazy folk in there...hehe.

Calendar... *edit* deleted it....sorry. It's sorta weird for me, but I don't like to talk about my races... I'd rather just do them. It cleanses me of all expectations, and it's just me and goals... which is like peas and carrots..hehe!

Ray

Yeah, we're a crazy bunch! Most of them make me look like a slacker ;)

Good luck with P90X. I'm finishing up a round of it. My next challenge is Insanity. Can't wait!

A secretive runner, huh? I understand. Whatever you run....GOOD LUCK!!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I ran my first marathon in October. I'd do more in a heart beat, however I need to wait until the kids are a little older and can be left alone easier. Thank goodness I had a supportive DH and Boss who took my kids when I was training.

Jessica - how did the Tri-Cities one go? That was last weekend. I was tempted to volunteer but ended up working all day. The weekend before was the Power Marathon locally, people got lost on the course :(

I run 4 days per week and use my bowflex the other two. My 11 yo has started running with me, we are signed up for a 10K in December, it will be his first race.
  • JessicaFB
    Options
    I ran my first marathon in October. I'd do more in a heart beat, however I need to wait until the kids are a little older and can be left alone easier. Thank goodness I had a supportive DH and Boss who took my kids when I was training.

Jessica - how did the Tri-Cities one go? That was last weekend. I was tempted to volunteer but ended up working all day. The weekend before was the Power Marathon locally, people got lost on the course :(

I run 4 days per week and use my bowflex the other two. My 11 yo has started running with me, we are signed up for a 10K in December, it will be his first race.

Congratulations on your recent marathon! They are a huge time commitment when it comes to training. It's good to hear you had support for your first.

Tri-Cities was beautiful! The sun was shining and the course was colorful with all the fall colors. The headwinds wore me down for the last 8 miles. It was tough, I won't lie. I placed 2nd in my age group, which I found really surprising. It helps to have a small field :)

That's so awesome that your son runs with you!! I am sure the 10K will be a wonderful time for the both of you.

Thank you so much for sharing! I send you good wishes for healthy running and hopefully some more marathons in the future. You know, half-marathons require less training time :)
  • paul100
    Options
    I've done the Paris marathon for the last 4 years. This year I also did the Amsterdam marathon (only a couple of weeks ago) in a new PR of 3:21. Aiming for 3:15 in Paris in April....
  • calcote05
    calcote05 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say that you guys inspire me! I am a new runner (only been running about August). I run intervals because I don't want running to become a chore to me. As of right now I LOVE to run! I ran my first 5K in Oct, 10K last week, and am planning to do a 12K on the 20th of this month. I am currently training for the Mardi Gras half marathon in New Orleans (it is in Feb), but plan to continue training to run my first marathon in Oct of next year. I only run 3 days a week, one long run and 2 short runs. Right now my short runs are 3 miles, but will increase with my training schedule (using Jeff Galloway). I did my longest run yesterday and it was 8 miles. My legs were tired, but I felt fine otherwise. Any suggestions for me?
  • JessicaFB
    Options
    I've done the Paris marathon for the last 4 years. This year I also did the Amsterdam marathon (only a couple of weeks ago) in a new PR of 3:21. Aiming for 3:15 in Paris in April....

Fantastic Paul!!! How was the course? I bet the Paris marathon will be a lot of fun!!
  • JessicaFB
    Options
    Just wanted to say that you guys inspire me! I am a new runner (only been running about August). I run intervals because I don't want running to become a chore to me. As of right now I LOVE to run! I ran my first 5K in Oct, 10K last week, and am planning to do a 12K on the 20th of this month. I am currently training for the Mardi Gras half marathon in New Orleans (it is in Feb), but plan to continue training to run my first marathon in Oct of next year. I only run 3 days a week, one long run and 2 short runs. Right now my short runs are 3 miles, but will increase with my training schedule (using Jeff Galloway). I did my longest run yesterday and it was 8 miles. My legs were tired, but I felt fine otherwise. Any suggestions for me?

Congratulations on starting running and your 5K and 10K!!! It sounds like your are on a roll. Always keep that joy in running. That is why I run, because I love it!
    My biggest tip is to listen to your body. If something hurts (potential injury), take 3 days off in a row...no questions asked. If it still hurts after that, cut back for a week or two. Don't do too much, too fast, too soon. As long as you don't deviate from a training schedule, you should be pretty safe. Also, keep track of the mileage on your shoes. Everyone is different. Mine crash out around 300 miles. For others, around 400-500.

Happy Running to you!!
  • JessicaFB
    Options
    Hello all! I'm so sorry I've been away for awhile. Life is finally settling down and I've commited again to using MFP to track my progress. I am down to those last pesky 10 lbs and it is my goal to get there by summer!!!
    I finished the Insanity program and am now 3 weeks into my 3rd round of P90X. My running has significantly improved since Insanity! I ran a 1:42 half-marathon the week after I finished the program. I was only running 1-2x/wk while on it, to prevent injury. It's very, very intense and high impact.
    Boston marathon is 5 days away!!! I am nervous and excited!!

Jess