newbie weightlifting question

Options
HI, I just started a weight training program. Most exercises I am doing two sets of 12 reps and feeling pretty weak and struggling on the last two or three of the second set. I think this means I am at a pretty good starting weight. My question is should I be feeling sore the next day? I do not have any muscle soreness the next day and I am wondering if this means I need to up the weight or do more sets less reps? Am I still benefitting if the muscles don't feel sore? Do I still need to wait a day or so in-between training sessions if I'm not feeling weak? Thanks in advance. :happy:

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    That sore feeling 1 or 2 days after (DOMS) does not mean you are working enough. Lack of soreness doesn't mean you aren't working enough.

I've been lifting for quite some time and have seen great results and I rarelly ever feel sore.

As for waiting between training sessions, I don't know what type of program you do, but recovery is very important. If you lift full body compounds (Squat, deadlifts, bench, Power Press, Press and so on) you should not workout the same muscles two days in a row because your body needs to recover.

If you are working splits, then chances are you are not hitting same body parts twice in a row anyways
  • kawhie
    kawhie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Cool, Thanks.