Need help with healthy(er)snack and nutrition suggestions

Options
I am semi new to trying to eat healthier. I have tried before it just has never really stuck.

So, here is what I am looking for:
1.) I need some suggestions on snack replacements. These suggestions cannot break the bank and need to be things that are readily available at grocery stores. Like, I have this thing for chips and french onion dip. So, as a replacement for that, I have come up with apples and peanut butter or trail mix. That is all I have so far.

2.) I cannot just throw a whole new way of eating into my diet. I will get overwhelmed, stressed, then quit. Its happened before. I am looking for a few tweaks to my current diet so I can shave off some calories and heart disease. I am not looking for whole meals either. I am looking to cook for my husband and daughter(who were both blessed with a metabolism through the roof) then tweak it to fit my needs. Any replacements for coffee mate creamer (not milk)

3.) I have been told my plate should be 1/2 veggies, 1/4 protein and 1/4 starches. Can I cut out the starches in my meals (3/4 veggies and 1/4 protein) so I can consume calories in other areas?

4.) When I cut calories from my diet to create a caloric deficit should I be hungry? Will I get used to the hunger or not be so hungry all the time?

5.) What worked for you in your diet?

Replies

• FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    1. You could also do popcorn & sprinkle it w/onion salt to get that French onion dip flavor. You can eat a lot of popcorn for the calories. They aren't as good as popcorn, but fat free pretzels are better than chips. Watch the trail mix...usually pretty high in calories.

2. Maybe you can find some kind of fat free powder creamer, but I'd be more inclined to use skim milk. On the meals...just not frying helps a lot.

3. As long as you're getting a diet that is balanced in proteins, fats, & carbs, AND eating healthy, then it isn't as big a deal whether you get starches or not. Starches are mostly carbs, & you can get carbs from milk (skim preferred), yogurt, cottage cheese, & veggies...in addition to starches.

4. The healthier you eat, the more filling the food will be, the more you'll be able to eat for the calories, & the less hungry you should be. The healthier you eat, the fewer cravings you have eventually. For example, I used to love hamburgers, but after I got used to not eating as much fat, now the idea of a burger mostly sounds just way too fatty to enjoy.

5. Just a balanced diet. MFP really helped me see I wasn't getting enough protein in particular. So if you have a lot of calories left in some area, then eat something from that area. Protein especially can make you feel hungry if you don't get enough, but make it lean.
  • Kabuhtu
    Kabuhtu Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thank you soooo much! Never really thought of popcorn. I will have to go to the store and get some plain because all I have is buttered. :D
  • sumeetg37
    sumeetg37 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You may want to consider investing in cooking light (or at least use their website it's free) it's only 20 bucks for the year. My wife and I did that, and we vowed to make at least 1 dish from it a week. Also we've found some staple dishes that fit the calorie needs. By doing this we create *some* variety, but also have some no-brainer dishes which really keeps us from getting overwhelmed....
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    1) My favorite healthier snacks are Greek yogurt, low fat cheese (mostly because the full fat ones don't really fill me up more for the extra calories), fruit, beef jerky (I just discovered those this week end and I'm now addicted), Quest nutrition bars.

2 and 3) Hard to tell as we don't know what you eat. We just make easy meals are, some protein, frozen veggies, and sometimes egg noodles, couscous, rice etc. You could skip the grain/starch and just eat the veggies and protein, and less of it. My husband typically eats the same thing and has a snack later (a smaller meal, usually).

4) If you're hungry, you're doing it wrong. That's where calorie quality matters. Typically protein and fiber will make you full longer... for some people fat is just as good though, you might have to try it out. I get hungry a few days a month during my cycle and it's much harder then, but by making good choices (like filling up on veggies and lean meat) it's doable. I'm eating 1600 calories and I'm very rarely hungry otherwise, and that's with eating some not so healthy things at times.

5) I try to eat 80% healthier, and I use 200ish calories a day for whatever I feel like eating. Been working great so far.
  • danielrh66
    danielrh66 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Dropping grains, starches and sugar as much as you can will allow you to eat pretty much as many veggies as you want. There are more nutrients per calorie in vegetables that there are in starches and grains. Yes, definitely keep your protein up and if you find yourself in too much of a caloric deficit from dropping the carbs then eat meat that is not so lean. Your body will use the fat for energy without any problem. Test many raw vegetables to find one that satisfies you taste buds and need for a crunch.
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I feel like by the questions your asking you will soon be way too overwhelmed... Just keep it simple... Non processed food and all fruits and veggies. Just make that the staple of your diet. Plain oatmeal, brown rice, brown rice noodles to replace pastas and cereal and stuff. Rice cakes for snacks. They are really yummy with pb, banana slices and cinnamon! And listen to your body.... If your hungry eat if not then dont. You will learn more the longer you stick with it! Just keep the weight loss super simple at first and yeah.Ohh! And just stick with it and keep it clean... Your tastebuds will adjust within a month! And i suggest weight lifting for faster fat loss.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    You may want to consider investing in cooking light (or at least use their website it's free) it's only 20 bucks for the year. My wife and I did that, and we vowed to make at least 1 dish from it a week. Also we've found some staple dishes that fit the calorie needs. By doing this we create *some* variety, but also have some no-brainer dishes which really keeps us from getting overwhelmed....

Yes, Cooking Light is a GREAT resource for recipes. I've never had a bad recipe from them. If you're on Facebook, they also have a Facebook page that posts recipes on a regular basis.
  • Kabuhtu
    Kabuhtu Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks again guys! I think I will stick to fruits and veggies and protein w/ very little to no starches. Rice cakes.... I will try them. Its actually a really good Idea and may make a fantastic replacement for chips considering the crunch... I will have to look into that. Hmmm...
    Now I just need motivation to keep it up.
    Any suggestions on how to make it through the holidays and huge fattening dinner and leftovers?
    Also, what about bread? Should I be cutting out sandwiches? or??
  • sonnydaniels10
    Options
    Ostrim sticks--different types and flavors--low fat, low cal, high protein
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Replacement for coffee creamer, I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Love it!!
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Since you are making meals for your family, I find I make sandwiches for my hubbie, normally lunch meat, however, I buy roast beef and turkey mostly and put about 2-3 ozs. on a plate and slice tomato or roasted red peppers. After a while you don't miss the bread (I used to put mayo on top of it all, but too many calories are "wasted."
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Regarding the holidays, try to plan a big workout in the morning before a day that you know is going to involve a big meal. It also helps to take a small portion of everything you want to try, rather than piling your plate as high as it will go. If you're still hungry after you've tried everything, go back for a little more of your favorite. There's no reason not completely restrict yourself on the holidays, you should be able to enjoy everything in moderation.

And regarding bread, I personally don't eat as many sandwiches as I used to because I found that I don't get as much for my caloric buck as I do with a big ol' salad full of high-protein and high-fiber ingredients. I'll still have them sometimes with those 100 calorie deli flats, because it's the stuff IN the sandwich I like better than the bread itself. But if sandwiches are your favorite thing ever, then by all means you can keep eating them and just make room for them in your daily plan. Or just have half a sandwich and a cup of soup rather than a whole sandwich.

The more rules you put on yourself early in this process, the more likely it is that you will give up. Just make small changes to start, adapt to them, and then keep making small changes.
  • blgerig
    blgerig Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    1.) Applesauce, low fat string cheese, yogurt, hardboiled eggs, a smoothie, side salad, carrots. I usually do fruit for snacks!

2.) I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk in my coffee. I have gotten used to the lack of sugar, but it is an adjustment.

3.) The more veggies the better. I rarely have rice, potatoes, bread at my meals. Sometimes sweet potato but that is about it.

4.) You shouldn't be hungry in my opinion. Try eating snacks and meals that have fiber and protein, those will be filling. Also, don't eat too little, that is a sure way to crash and burn!

5.) Meal planning. I sit down and list ideas of things to make through the week and base my grocery list on that. I have a list of healthy snacks so I don't fall into a trap of thinking I have nothing to eat. I also make a big thing of soup or a crockpot meal I can have for lunches or quick dinners through the week. Finally, I make sure to let myself have treats - a dinner out with friends, some wine or beer, a piece of chocolate - I want this to be a sustainable lifestyle, not a crash and burn diet.

Feel free to add me. Good luck!
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advise here, but still giving my two cents worth:

1. I also need the crunch factor. Instead of chips & dip I use celery sticks and Laughing Cow light cheese wedges. They are not the best as far as cheese goes, but they are creamy & taste like dip, and a huge stalk of celery and one wedge is about 45 calories. I prefer real cheese (who doesn't) but I'm not wasting my limited calories on cheese right now. I also mix Greek or regular plain yogurt with spices and very little salt to use as a veggie dip - the more spices the better! I also mix frozen spinach and artichokes with yogurt to make a dip that's really good! Experiment!

2. Baby steps! Change things up a little at a time. It's a long process depending on how much you have to lose it may take a year or longer to lose the weight. You can't expect to sustain a weight loss plan that is super restrictive - like you said it's too hard to keep it up long term & you'll give up. My whole family is on this healthy lifestyle kick with me, Even though they are all normal-sized we ALL benefit from lower fat, lower sodium, whole grains, etc. It's a healthy lifestyle forever that I'm working on, not just a diet, so I won't cook any differently for them.

3. Change your carbs to whole grain versions - pasta, bread, etc. You need carbs, just control your portions. Eat all the vegetables you want, but fruit has lots of calories, so I limit to 1-2 small pieces per day. Oh, and rice cakes are all carbs (and they taste like Styrofoam, just sayin'...).

4. Spread you calories throughout the day, plan for small snacks between meals. Protein keeps you feeling full longer. You shouldn't be starving, but just starting to feel hungry by your next meal. Greek yogurt, a small handful of nuts, beans, whole grains, quinoa, these are all really good sources of protein. If you eat meat choose lean cuts.
  • RachyLovesRattys
    RachyLovesRattys Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I do have to say, for that french onion addiction (which I know how hard it can be to satisfy!) they came out with greek yogurt versions in the yogurt aisle (I think Oikos makes it). I'm not sure on fat for those (knowing them...they use full fat) But if you simply can't avoid the dip, go get a french onion soup packet and mix it with some fat free plain Greek yogurt. MUCH better for you, and then there's some protein to make it more filling.

Also, because of my addiction to guacamole and jam and toast- I've started to buy Wasa 7 grain Crispbreads instead of chips. They're only $2 over in the cracker/cereal aisle (if they're significantly more expensive you're buying the wrong ones- they have flatbreads that sadly aren't as low cal or cheap) but either of the crispbread ones are only something like 70 calories for 3 (and only about 16 carbs+ a pinch of fiber/ no fat), they're huge (IMO), and you can spread on your toppings and eat them like chips, without feeling the guilt after.

If ANYONE ever finds healthy chips btw let me know! that has been a fruitless endeavor!
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Protein is key for me. My snacks consist of the following items:

Hard boiled eggs
    Beef Jerky
    Cheese Sticks
    Handful of nuts
    Protein Shake
    Greek Yogurt (Fage Total 0% in my case)
    Hummus and Veggies
    Edamame (freezer section in individual portions. I cook it, then salt it, then eat it cold)
    Roll-ups (low calorie lunch meat, I like Thin and Trim rolled with a piece of ultra thin cheese)
    Shrimp (I buy it precooked and frozen and take out what I need. I usually eat it with Old Bay seasoning on top, and dip it into greek yogurt combined with cocktail sauce or lemon juice and Old Bay)
    If you need crunchy, try pretzels or popcorn.

I don't have loads of time, so I tend to prep all of the snacks on one day, making sure they are portioned correctly so all I have to do is grab and go. I LOVE stale popcorn, so I make a couple of bags at once and portion them out. I do the same for my eggs, where I hard boil and them peel them, and then put them into a baggie with salt and pepper. The pepper discolors the eggs, but who cares? It's easy and keeps me on track.

Good luck!
  • amsipub
    amsipub Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I also try to make sure I put protein into each of my meals and snacks. I tend to gravitate towards sweets and I have to have chocolate every day. So I will have a half of a kind bar or a square of dark chocolate and that usually is all I need. I also have been eating yogurt with a flaxseed and chia mix and that really keeps me full.
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Questbars
    Planters mixed nut packs
    Light yogurt
  • cindyj7
    cindyj7 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    My miniscule input:

1. Look up Graze.com - they will send nutritious, delicious snacks every two weeks, for just $6. You can use my friend code to get two free boxes: CINDYJ33B. They are awesome.

2. For bread, I like the Orowheat Sandwich Thins @ 100 calories. I use them for toast, sandwiches and burgers.

Good luck to you. You've gotten some awesome advise in this post. :flowerforyou:
  • Samuraiko
    Samuraiko Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My snacks are rice cakes (especially the caramel corn ones from Quaker - 50 calories, VERY low sodium, a bit of sweet plus crunch? YES!), low fat string cheese, banana chips (I have a little food scale in my desk at work, so I measure out a serving and then munch)...

I also picked up a few of the 100-calorie snack packs for when I'm jonesing for sweet but want to avoid scarfing down the entire bag.

Fresh fruit and veggies are always good, and chalk up another vote for Greek yogurt.

My problem is I'm a real salt fiend, but I'm trying to save the sodium for full-on meals rather than snacks.