Found out I am pre-diabetic...so here I am

Options
:sad:
I am 60 years old, have been a yo-yo dieter most of my life and now I found out I am pre-diabetic. But, I don't want to BE diabetic. I have been on WW for years. Went to a nutrionist last week. Said to stop that now. Join this site. Gave me my goals, told me what to do and what to look for. I have never looked much at carbs before. What an eye opener. I am really trying. It has only been one week and I know I have a long way to go (I want to lose at least 80 pounds if not more). But I know I will do it because it is not just a diet this time but my life.
Thanks for listening.

Barbara

Replies

• twinsmom03
    twinsmom03 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Good luck!!! My A1C was 6.7 and 3 months later it is 6.2 So YOU can do it!!!! I have about 80 ls left as well.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    aren't we all technically 'pre-diabetic'?

it's like saying "i'm pre-dead."
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    what ever you do stick with this as if your life depended on it because it does. I have been a type 2 diabetic for 8 years. I am going to and endocrinologist on the 4th to see about starting the pump. I am up to taking 8 to 9 shots a day and am still not in control of my diabetes. Sometimes it just gets worse no matter what you do. But do try.
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    There's a clinical range for HgbA1C that qualifies as prediabetic, so no, we're not all prediabetic. Thanks for asking.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Meds given or just diet for now?

Been there done that...I feel your pain...so to speak. I tried the diet but always was going over carb limit set for day. Doc had me on 70 to 100 a DAY. I could do it but was only taking in 600 to 900 calories a day. Not good for me.

If you want to talk, be friends that would be fine.
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    :sad:
    I am 60 years old, have been a yo-yo dieter most of my life and now I found out I am pre-diabetic. But, I don't want to BE diabetic. I have been on WW for years. Went to a nutrionist last week. Said to stop that now. Join this site. Gave me my goals, told me what to do and what to look for. I have never looked much at carbs before. What an eye opener. I am really trying. It has only been one week and I know I have a long way to go (I want to lose at least 80 pounds if not more). But I know I will do it because it is not just a diet this time but my life.
    Thanks for listening.

Barbara

You may want to try a more low carb/low sugar high protein/high fat diet. ITs ketogenic-ish...
  • BigB53
    BigB53 Posts: 3
    Options
    Just watching my food for now. And that is all I want it to be. I am at work now. Maybe chat later.

Barbara
  • t1954
    t1954 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi Barbara,
    Welcome to the party. There is plenty support around here and other people with the same problem. You can do it. We are about the same age. If I can do it, you can do it. If you get a chance, please read my profile. What I did isn't for everybody but it worked for me. And I was under a doctor's watchful eye. I am down to the last 21#. I will prevail. You can PM with any questions or comments.

All the best on your future success.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Good luck! MY A1C was 14% last year at this time, now Its at 4%. You got this!
  • molociraptor
    Options
    Good luck! I do low carb, just because it's the healthiest way (In my opinion). The weight loss is great too! It's a great diet, and if you look around you can make pretty much anything low carb! It's an easy diet to keep up with and the effects are mind-blowing :) I'm sure you will love it, and love being much healthier for it!
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    Just watching my food for now. And that is all I want it to be. I am at work now. Maybe chat later.

Barbara

please let us know when you will be off work, so we can continue this thrilling discussion.

ERRRYBODY.....stop responding....she's at work and doesn't have time.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale, set your MFP up for the right amount of activity and get logging. Find the time to exercise 3 times a week. Commit to the program by adding a photo and filling out your profile. :) Good luck, it works!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Barbara

please let us know when you will be off work, so we can continue this thrilling discussion.

50360e2c1d41c876f300016c.jpg?mw=555
  • Txsteach
    Txsteach Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I am insulin resistant, so I hear you...carbs are hard to cut down on at first, but you quickly adjust and find new foods to love!
  • michelejoann
    michelejoann Posts: 295 Member
    Options

Barbara

Hey, everyone has to start somewhere.
  • LanaeCarol
    LanaeCarol Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I am also a pre-diabetic. I have been using MFP now for a bit over a year and my endocrinologist is very happy with my numbers. I also have about 90 pounds to lose, I am sending you a friend request. Support from friends is what makes this site so great.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I got the diagnsis Spring of 2012. When I went to my physical this spring, my doctor was amazed. He said I had turned it around. I still have a slightly elevatred A1C, but all of my other markers have turned around, and even my lipid panel was awesome. My HDL was actually up which I had tried for years to do without success.

You can do this. I recommend, that you get some good books by reputable authors from your local library, and learn as much as you can about your disease, and the consequences of not treating yourself now. Then figure out what you need to do to get yourself eating well, and add more exercise into your life.
  • leighn62
    leighn62 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You may want to consider the Paleo/Primal way of eating. There are several forums here at MFP dedicated to low carb/Paleo/Primal with amazing results not just in weight loss but improving diabetic conditions. You may also want to check out this website to find out more info about the affects of carbs on insulin and the body's response to them. If you decide to try it you will have to customize your macros because the defaults here are not conducive to this way of eating. Good luck.

www.marksdailyapple.com
  • mayerrocks
    mayerrocks Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    The following is from my profile:

6 yrs ago (2006) I had a routine blood test taken at a well visit at the doctors office. Two days later I got a call from the doctor who told me that my glucose level was 488 and my A1c was 7.8. "My son", the doctor said, "you've got diabetes, and you need meds immediately". "If you'll lose those extra pounds", he continued, "you might correct the situation because you're in the early stages of the disease". I immediately began a strict calorie diet, lost 30 lbs (over a period of 2 months) and my glucose level got down to normal levels immediately (after only one week on the diet), and was taken off meds after just 2 weeks on the diet.

Having a NSV, I became all excited and lost vision of my goal, and gained everything back. My A1c stayed normal but my BP began creeping up, and was borderline hypertension; 139/85. Going to gym did not help me much; although I believe that without the gym my BP would've been much higher.

In August 2012 I decided to change my life once and for all; to change my eating habits, that is. My starting weight was 224lb, and I am now 192.5. My BP is 110/70!!

*as of 10/30/2013 my weight is 180, my BP is 110/70, and my A1C is 5.2 as a NON-DIABETIC (without meds)*
  • BigB53
    Options
    Thanks for the positive support. It means a lot. And I know I can use as much as I can get.
    Have a great week.
    Barbara