HELP - Cravings

Options
I need some help, have been really struggling with major cravings for unhealty things, crisps, chocolate, take aways etc

Before i used to give in and have what i fancy but now im changing things i dont want to do that, but my head it telling me that it wants all these thinmgs (also doesnt help when work people start talking about what they are having for tea)

What do you do when these cravings hit?? Could really do with some advice.

Thanks
Martine

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Make them fit into your calories / Macros and enjoy
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Im the same. but try to drink lots of water and then exercise instead of eating them. It always makes me feel better and then want to eat healthy. I did find it hard though esp as coming to winter.

Planning on making some soup and bean and veg chilli to keep me going

Edit: I do eat biscuits/treats if they fit in my allowance though.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Sure, I can fit the calories for some of these in my daily numbers but I have horrible self-control when it comes to these foods. I keep thinking, "hey, it's just a handful of crisps", then next thing I know, I've eaten the whole thing. >_<

Right now, the way I control it (and what may only work for *ME*), is to try to keep my mind occupied or try something to take my mind off it. Also, it helps not having these snacks in the house or in any proximity. STAY AWAY FROM TEMPTATION lol.

I've been training myself to 'eat to live' instead of living to eat.
  • moxleymama6
    moxleymama6 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    For a sweet craving, I drink fruit tea sweetened with stevia...For salty craving, I eat "Sea Snax" (not everyone's taste but I like the crisp saltiness with only natural ingredients & low calorie count). When all else fails brush teeth, drink water or, if it is night, go to bed early.
  • peasantsong
    peasantsong Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I deal with food cravings the same way I dealt with cigarette cravings when I quit smoking last year. I just say no. I know it seems obvious but it seemed like a miracle to me the day I really truly understood that I was the one in control of my decisions, not cigarettes. I just closed that door and made the decision over and over not to open it. I guess that’s called willpower. And it’s the same when I have a craving for candy or chips. Sure, I want it just like I wanted a cigarette, but I want other things more and I am not at the mercy of my cravings. I find that the only time cravings of either sort really bothered me is when I let myself entertain the idea of saying yes. Then it became this ultimate struggle over whether to say no or to say yes. Now I find if I just say no and then let it go, cravings never bother me. I have the ultimate power over whether or not I say yes to a craving. Anyway, maybe that advice is a little too abstract, but that is how I deal with it. I just say no and let it go!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Make them fit into your calories / Macros and enjoy

This. But really decide what's worth your calories and what isn't too. Personally, my diary helps with self control. It's my contract with myself. I'm always making sure I have enough calories for dinner, even if I have to make myself some grilled chicken breast and veggies instead of what I had planned. Being hungry because of poor choices is just not an option for me.
  • Pidgeywendy
    Pidgeywendy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hello Martine,

My sympathies....cravings are very hard to ignore, especially at the start :-(

Over the last 18 months, I have done all of these things when cravings hit me:

1) Brush my teeth, floss, mouth wash
    2) Manicure your nails and toenails, 5 coats of varnish, spend all evening doing it
    3) Ring an friend/family member you haven't spoken to for ages
    4) Go for a walk with dog/child/self
    5) Take a bubble bath with candles and chill out music
    6) Have sex (!)
    7) Browse online clothing shops and choose something in the next size down
    8) Eat frozen grapes
    9) Drink sparkling water with ice and lemon in a posh glass
    10) Look at photos of the fat you
    11) Browse places to go/things to do online, when you're slim

Hope some of those are helpful :-)