Binging on cake!

Options
Hi guys!

I'm looking for some advice about craving and binging on high fat food. I try to eat around 1200-1500 calories per day. (I'm a student and it's exam time, so the only exercise I get is the occasional walk!) I've lost around 6 kilos so far and have another 5 to lose. However, I often find myself craving and eating very high fat food (muffins and chocolate) . Is there anyone else who does this and is there a way of overcoming it? I tend to eat a variety of different foods, however I still do this and feel out of control whilst doing so. Help and advice would be very much appreciated! Thank you :)

Replies

• pattycakes80
    pattycakes80 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    many people have/had this issue.

i know it might seem difficult at the time, but before you binge, ask yourself if you are hungry or if you are simply angry/bored/stressed/sad/scared..

emotional eating did a number on me: i started as a kid and eventually my brain was wired to crave bad things. it was a source of immediate comfort despite the awful results that occurred both mentally and physically.

while i have a better grasp of control, i still get cravings from time-to-time, but i more careful in how i approach them. potato chips are my heroin. i cannot eat regular delicious plain potato chips without killing an entire bag and then looking for something sweet to soften the comedown. i have not touched a regular potato chip since may (when i started). when i crave them, i turn to baked chips. even pringles. i don't like them as much - i never want to binge on them so it wards off the binge and does not leave me feeling deprived. that has been my saving grace.

my short-term advice would be to find a healthier version of your binge of choice. something you don't want too much of. just enough to satisfy the craving.

long-term advice involves some serious effort on your part. locate your handy-dandy internal microscope and try to decipher why you binge. if it is something you do not wish to do but do and it hinders a healthy diet, it is worth the effort. enlist the help of a therapist, a journal, anything you may find helpful. this is your life and you must believe you are worth the work.

best wishes!
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    many people have/had this issue.

i know it might seem difficult at the time, but before you binge, ask yourself if you are hungry or if you are simply angry/bored/stressed/sad/scared..

emotional eating did a number on me: i started as a kid and eventually my brain was wired to crave bad things. it was a source of immediate comfort despite the awful results that occurred both mentally and physically.

while i have a better grasp of control, i still get cravings from time-to-time, but i more careful in how i approach them. potato chips are my heroin. i cannot eat regular delicious plain potato chips without killing an entire bag and then looking for something sweet to soften the comedown. i have not touched a regular potato chip since may (when i started). when i crave them, i turn to baked chips. even pringles. i don't like them as much - i never want to binge on them so it wards off the binge and does not leave me feeling deprived. that has been my saving grace.

my short-term advice would be to find a healthier version of your binge of choice. something you don't want too much of. just enough to satisfy the craving.

long-term advice involves some serious effort on your part. locate your handy-dandy internal microscope and try to decipher why you binge. if it is something you do not wish to do but do and it hinders a healthy diet, it is worth the effort. enlist the help of a therapist, a journal, anything you may find helpful. this is your life and you must believe you are worth the work.

best wishes!

Very useful advice

Thanks for sharing
  • Txsteach
    Txsteach Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I try a couple of things...I eat anything, just in very small portions..... I try to save it for the end of the day.. I can look forward to it, plus I don't keep wanting more all day...I try to buy single servings, also my mantra is one bite is enough, two is plenty, three is more than enough..really after that, it loses it loses some of the enjoyment....stay strong
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    90 calorie Fiber One brownies are a life saver for me. I pass on the cake or cupcakes and get satisfaction.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I was just planning on walking to the grocery store (6 miles) so I can 'earn' a piece of delicious bakery cake with lots of frosting.

I will only buy the one serving, so no leftovers will be sitting around the house to tempt me.

I make myself earn my treats, and don't keep them sitting around the house.
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I love cake! and oreos...and brownies...and ice cream..... and ding dongs, etc...so I feel your pain. Pick up a bag of Quaker Oats popped. I snack on these when I want something sweet and I'm trying to avoid high fat snacks. You have to be careful to not eat the entire bag, but if you pull out about 13 of them, that's a serving. http://www.quakeroats.com/products/rice-snacks/popped/chocolate.aspx

My other trick is to buy 2 packs of strawberries at a time. Then I rinse them and while they are still wet I sprinkle Sweet and Low on them. I'm sure many people think that's bad for you, but I've done it for forever and it works for me. After you refrigerate them for a while it makes them good and sweet and helps with the cravings for dessert.

Then....buy some good "diet" ice cream bars. Not a carton of ice cream b/c it's too easy to eat the entire thing. With bars, you get one and then you stay away. I am obsessed with Klondike's sugar free bars. They are still 160 calories, but I have worked them into my calorie budget. I have one every night so I don't feel like I'm being jipped.

The snacking will kill your progress. It's really important to come up with other alternatives and then stand firm. As you see the numbers on the scale decrease and your clothes start to bag a bit, you won't want those high calorie snacks any longer. The minute of enjoyment they provide isn't worth the disappointment of the scale. You can do it!!!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Someone else just posted this in another topic:

http://www.niashanks.com/2013/09/20-tips-binge-eating/