Liver Biopsy on Friday-Really Anxious

Options
Hey Everyone,
I am not sure if this is the right forum to post this, but I am needing some support, so here goes.
So I have had fatty liver disease since April 2012.
My numbers (AST and ALT) have remained elevated since then, but just a little bit about normal.
My GI doctor said we would watch it every 6 months with bloodwork and that's it.
In early October, my AST and ALT were in the 90's. In two weeks, they were in the 180's.
My doctor gave me two weeks to get my numbers down. I dived into this diet and exercise.
Just got my number back today. AST went to down 5 points, ALT went up 15 points.
My doctor wants to do a liver biopsy on Friday to rule out other issues. He said it isn't "normal" for people with fatty liver don't have numbers that high for that long.
I am so nervous about the procedure and also what we will find.
He said he is looking for hemochromatosis and cell abnormalities.
There were no masses at my ultrasound 18 months ago, but who knows now. He doesn't expect cancer, but he is still looking.
I am only 27 years old. This shouldn't be happening to me. I am so scared!
Has anyone had a liver biopsy?

Replies

• teamnevergoingback
    teamnevergoingback Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Not a liver biopsy, but a cervical biopsy for me. So I know waiting for the results is pretty stressful. You know all those success stories where something really drastic happens to someone and they are the one in a million that power through their illness, or problem? Those people are heroes to me. For example... man loses both legs in a car accident, then goes on to run cross country for charity. Stuff like that. They make me want to be like THAT. Anyways, the point of that was to say... Just fight it. Whatever your results end up being, you can fight it and make it a learning experience instead of a dreaded one. You're not alone, as scared as you are. My thoughts are with you and I hope your results are good, just don't give up.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I've had other biopsies.

It's very nerve wracking but be thankful that your doctor is on top of things and sounds very thorough and meticulous.

Sending you lots of hugs and patience
  • skinnyiverson
    Options
    I have had two liver biopsies. The procedures were not that bad. The waiting is a killer but you will make it through that also :flowerforyou:
  • ummmmm84
    ummmmm84 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I won't say don't worry because if your like me you won't stop just because someone has said so. I was around the same age as you when I had my first liver biopsy. I hated not being able to eat lol. If they ask if you need the toilet before going in go even if you feel you don't need too as this made me want to go and couldn't stop thinking about it. Take things to do for after music a magazine etc. don't no where you are but I had to lay on my side for 2hrs. It was a strange sensation but it didn't hurt as them numb the area (1st time I've ever had that). I have a few liver conditions now due to the results. How I looked on it was id rather now than not.

I won't wish you luck because you won't need it but keep calm and carry on
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I understand. First, see if you can get some xanax from your dr. This is not the time to be a hero. I've had breast biopsies, and I needed a half a xanax just to walk into the hospital. Half a xanax to sleep the night before too. There's no shame in needing some help for your nerves (xanax or ativan).

I have found that surgical nurses are the kindest, most compassionate people out there. When you arrive, tell them you're scared, and they will take good care of you.

In the meantime, DO NOT GOOGLE. Just don't.

Take care of yourself. Best of luck. {{{hugs}}}